• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color is true navy?

charles111

Reaction score
I am purchasing a navy suit. However, I have become very confused with what "navy" actually is.
For example, both of these suits below are labeled as "navy" :

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...7345-_-MB&cm_lm_mo64=ZHpkYW5nQHVtaWNoLmVkdQ==

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...avy suit&searchPass=exactMultiMatch&slotId=21

The first suit almost looks like a very dark gray. It's very difficult for me to identify any blue in the first suit. The second suit looks like a dark blue. Which is true navy? And which is more conservative?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at navies online can be painful. That said, the first one is navy. The second one is in the realm of navy, but it closer to the edge of "blues" as in royal blue, etc. The first one has an overcheck, which impacts how conservative it is.

Neither is the canonical example of the staid navy suit, if that is what you are in the market for

charles111

Reaction score
Looking at navies online can be painful. That said, the first one is navy. The second one is in the realm of navy, but it closer to the edge of "blues" as in royal blue, etc. The first one has an overcheck, which impacts how conservative it is.

Neither is the canonical example of the staid navy suit, if that is what you are in the market for
Ah I see. Thanks for the reply. Is "staid" essentially just a solid navy?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy is in the eye of the beholder. Pantones do exist for navy but are varied. You would do well to look at the uniforms of naval officers to see what they wear but do so in the flesh/daylight as computer screens do not give a true rendition unless calibrated properly.

charles111

Reaction score
Navy is in the eye of the beholder. Pantones do exist for navy but are varied. You would do well to look at the uniforms of naval officers to see what they wear but do so in the flesh/daylight as computer screens do not give a true rendition unless calibrated properly.
I'll try that. When people suggest "navy" as a color for suits, are they generally referring to the true navy (the non-blue looking one) or the more bluish looking one?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try that. When people suggest "navy" as a color for suits, are they generally referring to the true navy (the non-blue looking one) or the more bluish looking one?

If selling, they are referring to the colour of the merchandise which has presented itself for them to sell, regardless of want it actually is: If buying, what it says on the label or, if recommending the colour their image of what navy is. Few, if any, will reflect on any true colour standard because they have never thought further about it.

For this reason I have suggested looking at the uniform of nautical gentlemen as, the one thing that you will not see in a gathering of such persons, is as many shades of navy as people are present! All the services specify the colour of uniforms to a consistent standard against objective measures which can be adopted by would be suppliers to avoid this very issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads