• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What clothes do NOT go well with jeans?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe E Taleo
This look has picked up some serious momentum over at superfuture, but I don't think dress shoes look right with jeans, or dress boots for that matter. Sneakers and boots look great, but dress shoes?

Originally Posted by Rome
Dress shoes with jeans look silly, unless they were meant to be casual, Allen Edmonds "whatever" with jeans make you look old, not sophisticated.

I take it that neither of you follow the WAYWT thread, where GetSmart, among dozens of posters, rocks this look w/ style? Not all "dress shoes" are like BTW. I agree that, say, balmoral captoe w/ jeans can be a bad look; but plain toe/semi brogue bluchers or wholecuts can look killer IMHO.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Something no one has yet mentioned--maybe because we all have 20 pairs of raw jeans with no wear?--is that the jeans in question and the way they're worn can drastically affect what works and what doesn't. A pair of slim, dark jeans with little to no distressing can be "dressed up" to a greater degree than a pair of loose, low-slung, beat-up jeans. Pair your PS brogues with the former and if you're lucky, you might look as badass as Get Smart or Rye; do it with the latter and you're going to look very strange indeed.

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
A pair of slim, dark jeans with little to no distressing can be "dressed up"

+ 10K

Originally Posted by Saucemaster
if you're lucky, you might look as badass as Get Smart or Rye

This is what I strive for on a daily basis. Many of us
worship.gif
their look.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Speaks the guy whose daily outfit consists of Abercrombie/Hollister tee, GAP bootcut jeans and Puma sneaks.

eek.gif

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. You keep on saying I wear this without actually reading what I write when I post regarding what I'm wearing that particular day. Especially seeing as I only have 2 Hollister tees...and own no A&F items.

Also, GAP boot cut jeans fit to fit me best, both in terms of actual comfort and look as per my constant cycling physique.

This is like the 3rd time you have gone out of your way to go after me regarding what you (incorrectly I might add) think about how I dress...obsessed much?

Jon.

Oh, and FYI: boot cut jeans can be selvage as well.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zatarregaza
I wouldn't think the OP wants to look like a lumberjack at work. Sartorially speaking I can see how jeans and flannel shirts would be considered a no-no, unless you are indeed a lumberjack.
i tend to lean toward a more "authentic" look, which would include things like military-inspired clothing and shoes, wrangler looks, construction inspired workwear, and flannel shirts with jeans is one of them. i mean, look at all those flathead shirts...they all look great with jeans, and are sold along with flathead jeans. you should look at the what i wore today thread and look at sidney's posts, he really gets it down pat.

habia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Oh, and white jeans don't go with anything.
Is this true?

I have been vaguely considering trying to get a certain one of ten upcoming white jeans, but I have been unable to think of anything to wear with them.

Light colored sneakers might be passable, other than that I am out.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ I think that white jeans are generally tragic. For me, they fall into the same category as odd suit jackets with jeans, vests worn without a jacket, and silk shirts. If you constantly see magazine articles on "How to wear X and not look tragic", you know that the default for that look is in fact "tragic".

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
^ I think that white jeans are generally tragic. For me, they fall into the same category as odd suit jackets with jeans, vests worn without a jacket, and silk shirts. If you constantly see magazine articles on "How to wear X and not look tragic", you know that the default for that look is in fact "tragic".
jet's gonna come find you...

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Halifamous
This is incorrect.

So....which opinion is incorrect?
confused.gif

TheDroog

Reaction score
Denim shirts look bad with denim ... especially when they're the exact same shade of blue. I did that in high school. Ouch.

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Denim shirts look bad with denim ... especially when they're the exact same shade of blue. I did that in high school. Ouch.
I recall my first day of 10th grade. Cream-colored levi's jeans with matching cream-colored denim shirt.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big ass cowboy buckles. in fact, they don't go well with anything.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog

Knocking the Canadian tuxedo? Better watch out, GQGeek is going to come for you.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
big ass cowboy buckles. in fact, they don't go well with anything.
I think those work fine if your first name is 'Tater.'
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Knocking the Canadian tuxedo? Better watch out, GQGeek is going to come for you.
Isn't the Canadian Tux a denim jacket with jeans? I guess if you throw a denim shirt in there, you could have a Canadian 3-piece or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads