• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wedding help!

shipcamein

Reaction score
style amateur here, but willing to take advice - on what to wear to my own wedding!

Thought it would be fun (or amusing) for a few of you, to point me in the right direction. I have many questions - I'll try to do them one or two at a time.

Let's get started: Traditional around these parts (and maybe everywhere?) is: Groom rents a tux, groomsmen rent a similar tux, The End.

If I weren't suspect of that "custom" I wouldn't be posting here...please advise!

Is this, really, what most people do? (I mean "most people" at large, not "most people who read this forum.")

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
style amateur here, but willing to take advice - on what to wear to my own wedding!

Thought it would be fun (or amusing) for a few of you, to point me in the right direction. I have many questions - I'll try to do them one or two at a time.

Let's get started: Traditional around these parts (and maybe everywhere?) is: Groom rents a tux, groomsmen rent a similar tux, The End.

If I weren't suspect of that "custom" I wouldn't be posting here...please advise!

Is this, really, what most people do? (I mean "most people" at large, not "most people who read this forum.")
Hi,

I'm going to move your question to Menswear advice, where you might have some more eyes and sympathetic pens.

There are a lot of good ways do do wedding clothes.

To start with, you might want to check out our editori-in-chief's recent wedding guides, here:

http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-to-wear-to-almost-any-wedding
http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-to-wear-the-black-tie-wedding
http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-to-wear-the-casual-summer-wedding

shipcamein

Reaction score
Well, I'm a bit disappointed - generally the advice is without end here for all kinds of issues!

I have (previously) read those articles, and I appreciate them. However, they aren't really for the groom - me.

I'm trying to find out, basically, what is going to happen when I buy a tuxedo to wear, but my groomsmen do not. Must they rent? Can they wear a suit?

I know there are threads saying just that - even that the GM needn't match - but having been to dozens of weddings (i mean the ceremony) I can confidently say that 100% of them had matching groomsmen. Is that a regional thing? A budget thing?

Look, I can just do "the regular" ...but if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't need help!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm a bit disappointed - generally the advice is without end here for all kinds of issues!

I have (previously) read those articles, and I appreciate them. However, they aren't really for the groom - me.

I'm trying to find out, basically, what is going to happen when I buy a tuxedo to wear, but my groomsmen do not. Must they rent? Can they wear a suit?

I know there are threads saying just that - even that the GM needn't match - but having been to dozens of weddings (i mean the ceremony) I can confidently say that 100% of them had matching groomsmen. Is that a regional thing? A budget thing?

Look, I can just do "the regular" ...but if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't need help!
If you looked at our instructionals, an this one in particular: http://www.styleforum.net/a/should-i-wear-a-tuxedo-if-my-groomsmen-are-wearing-navy-business-suits you'd read that it's generally considered in ill form to dress above your groomsmen. They don't need to "match", but they should be of similar formality.

It's 2016, and pretty much anything goes, but this is the canonical answer.

shipcamein

Reaction score
again appreciate the info. I have many questions, let me boil it down to this (safe to say I have read dozens of forums and articles at this point, as well as being a church employee long enough to see a lifetime of other people's weddings):

If the groom must match the bride in formality, and the bride is in a formal gown, and a tuxedo is not for daylight, and the groomsmen must match the groom, but most weddings are at 2 or 4 then pictures then a reception and do NOT involve a wardrobe change, while knowing that barely anyone can afford a tux (groom notwithstanding, just the GM), then what, exactly, do regular people regularly do? Something must give somewhere...

I see people now in Not A Tux. She's in a great white gown. Is that not Awful? I see weddings where I am better dressed in my "lounge suit" than many of the men in the wedding party - and they rented the outfit. Is this not an important day, deserving of some sartorial respect? What the heck are people doing these days? I get it, "anything goes," but that's not us. We want "anything goes" to "go ahead and be gone."

This very website includes links to articles reminding us that photos are forever, and wear something timeless, classic, and classy. That is NOT anything goes.

See my confusion here? I'm just looking for input on what most folks do most of the time. Normal people.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

again appreciate the info.  I have many questions, let me boil it down to this (safe to say I have read dozens of forums and articles at this point, as well as being a church employee long enough to see a lifetime of other people's weddings):

If the groom must match the bride in formality, and the bride is in a formal gown, and a tuxedo is not for daylight, and the groomsmen must match the groom, but most weddings are at 2 or 4 then pictures then a reception and do NOT involve a wardrobe change, while knowing that barely anyone can afford a tux (groom notwithstanding, just the GM), then what, exactly, do regular people regularly do?  Something must give somewhere...

I see people now in Not A Tux.  She's in a great white gown.  Is that not Awful?  I see weddings where I am better dressed in my "lounge suit" than many of the men in the wedding party - and they rented the outfit.  Is this not an important day, deserving of some sartorial respect?  What the heck are people doing these days?  I get it, "anything goes," but that's not us.  We want "anything goes" to "go ahead and be gone."

This very website includes links to articles reminding us that photos are forever, and wear something timeless, classic, and classy.  That is NOT anything goes.

See my confusion here?  I'm just looking for input on what most folks do most of the time.  Normal people.

If that's indoors, most men probably wear dark suits. Tuxedos for weddings seem to be losing popularity. In the ideal ceremony, the groom probably should dress slightly more formally than groomsmen, as in peaked lapels and wholecut shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads