• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing high-top Converse with shorts

brooklyndad

Reaction score
I'm getting bored of wearing low-top sneakers with shorts, and I have a decent collection of high-top Converses (including a few from the Comme des Garcons collection). I've heard people say that pairing high-top shoes with shorts can be difficult, and I'm curious to know what people here think. Does this work for a super casual summer look? Any thoughts on sock choices? Things to avoid?

IMG_7023.jpg

rjc149

Reaction score
Anything works for a super-casual look. The more casual you get, the less stylish you are. That's simply the inverse correlative relationship of dressing casually. So if you're going for super casual, this look is perfectly fine but it's not what I would consider a stylish summer look.

The issue with high-top sneakers/socks and shorts is that it tends to shorten the appearance of your legs and make them look stubbier, which can make you look shorter overall. Low-top sneakers with low-cut or no-see socks lengthen the exposure of your calves, and make them look more slender, which is more flattering.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chuck hi ? go with chollo shorts like long dickies and tall socks , a classic look .

brooklyndad

Reaction score
When you're THAT casual, does it even matter?

Sheesh, can we turn the snark down a little bit? Yes, it's incredibly casual -- e.g.

I didn't know this forum was only for suits and wingtips! My apologies. I'll return when I need to go to the yacht or country club I guess...

brooklyndad

Reaction score
You came here for feedback...
This place really has no filters on opinions.

Sure, I'm not talking about filters -- if someone replied, "Hi-tops with shorts look awful, don't do it," that'd be fine. For example, I appreciated the replies saying that it's not someone's style, but nothing wrong with it -- and the reply saying that people sometimes avoid the combination because it isn't flattering to the calf -- that was really interesting!

It's the "omg, you're wearing casual clothing, so you might as well wear a garbage bag" that I'm calling out as unhelpful. The reason I posted a link to the Merz shorts is that they're not going to have the model wear any old shoes, so clearly, there's something going on there, but even in that picture, they're doing some noticeable things - unlaced shoes, matching the color of the stripes on the socks with the shoe color, etc. There's still room for discussion about style, even if you're wearing casual stuff... but maybe this forum isn't big on that.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, I'm not talking about filters -- if someone replied, "Hi-tops with shorts look awful, don't do it," that'd be fine. For example, I appreciated the replies saying that it's not someone's style, but nothing wrong with it -- and the reply saying that people sometimes avoid the combination because it isn't flattering to the calf -- that was really interesting!

It's the "omg, you're wearing casual clothing, so you might as well wear a garbage bag" that I'm calling out as unhelpful. The reason I posted a link to the Merz shorts is that they're not going to have the model wear any old shoes, so clearly, there's something going on there, but even in that picture, they're doing some noticeable things - unlaced shoes, matching the color of the stripes on the socks with the shoe color, etc. There's still room for discussion about style, even if you're wearing casual stuff... but maybe this forum isn't big on that.
Maybe take a cruise around here:

Alan74

Reaction score
I think it's good. Others have mentioned that it might shorten your proportions. IDK how tall you are, but that might be worth considering.

KOz

Reaction score
Sheesh, can we turn the snark down a little bit? Yes, it's incredibly casual -- e.g.
That was genuinely not meant to be snarky or dismissive. Sorry for coming across that way.

It's just my take - when I dress down to ultra casual, I just wear whatever I have, so long as it's not a complete and utter clash.

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Within the context of footwear with shorts (already a concession to perceived comfort over style), your Converse trainers are in a sort of middle range—better than Crocs and socks, but less "smart" than canvas espadrilles or woven leather huaraches worn by Golden Age Hollywood stars at Mexican resorts. Which, by the way, is a great place to wear shorts.

Last edited:

Tableware9642

Reaction score
It's hard to say without seeing your whole fit (how your proportions play off the high tops and shorts thing). If your torso is longer than your legs, then I don't think this is a flattering look.

I do agree with double00, tall socks would be great. Go harder on the look so it comes off as a conscious style choice

brooklyndad

Reaction score
That was genuinely not meant to be snarky or dismissive. Sorry for coming across that way.

It's just my take - when I dress down to ultra casual, I just wear whatever I have, so long as it's not a complete and utter clash.
I'm sorry for interpreting it that way - I'll try not to read negativity into comments unnecessarily. Thanks for elaborating!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads