• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WAYWRN show and tell day

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So last week I challenged JapanAlex01 to the following:
Please do me the favor of engaging in an experiment. For the rest of the week until the 1st of August, refrain from making any public critique, criticism, or comment here in WAYWRN. Instead, put a folder on the desktop of your computer with pictures you've taken from here on WAYWRN, and a list of comments/critiques for each one - both positive and negative. You don't need to have a thought about everything - just the ones which really strike your fancy. During the week, whenever you add something to that folder, go back and look at some of the other things in it. Reevaluate the comments you have saved about whatever fit you're looking at again. Also try, in an honest way, to guess and understand (from a sartorial standpoint) why the person in the photo would have made such a decision. Should you decide to engage in this exercise with me I will create a thread in here in the Men's Clothing Forum next Monday morning where you can present your findings. The only thing I would ask of you about this is to once again reevaluate everything as you put it together to present. If you don't like it and have harsh things to say, that will be perfectly fine. In the interest of fairness, I will put together and post a list of pictures and thoughts, comments, and critiques of my own. Who knows, maybe some other folks will join in and it will turn into a party. What do you say?
JA01 has done a commendable job on part one, and now it's my turn to fulfill my part of the bargain. In general, I refrain from critique because I feel I could do with having seen a bit more before judging the things I'm seeing now. However, that's not the game I set up, and so I will play by my own rules. Given that however, any feedback I personally have to provide is below the cut. If you care to look, by all means. If you don't, cheers.
110725156.jpg
I think PhatGuido generally puts together an awesome fit. In thinking about why this is over the last week, here are a few things that draw my eye about him, and this fit in particular.
  • In the short time I've been here, I've heard a lot about PGs shoulders. In this photo, one of the things I noticed, and noticed about other PG fits during the week was that the curve of the shoulder line draws the eye upward in a sort of natural motion, making his neck appear longer and him appear taller overall.
  • The first point is accentuated by the positioning of his gorge, collar, and tie knot with respect to the shoulders themselves. The gorge is elevated slightly above the line from shoulder to shoulder, and between the notches on the gorge you can draw a straight line that hits the points of the collar and runs through the middle of the knot.
  • The silhouette of this suit provides a very hour glass proportion for PG, so that his hips appear to be just as wide as the seam where the sleeve is attached.
  • There is a consistent asymmetry with respect to PGs fits. On this, as well as a few other fits this past week, I noticed that the opening of the quarters (or whatever the actual technical term is) is set off center. The flap on the viewer's left comes further over than the right, putting the opening just slightly to the viewers right. This seemed a bit odd, though I can understand why it might be done on purpose.
  • Finally, there is an amazing consistency in the shape of the break on PGs trousers.
  • I think this fit provides a great example of how scale can affect the way that an article is viewed. In this photo the Jacket looks grey, but obviously the close ups shows that not to be the case. The tie also has a similar effect
  • This fit also provides a contrast to what I mentioned about PGs gorge/Collar/knot. Here, Dennis' gorge is about even with his shoulders, which don't have as much of a pronounced slope. The gorge is also set higher up than the collar points. Now, this collar is not as spread, but I think that works for Dennis because he appears to be taller and thus doesn't really need to do anything that will lengthen his look.
  • This was not the post of Gnatty's I wanted to quote originally, but I can't seem to find that one at the moment. Either way, this one does something similar. This is here mostly because I find myself constantly saving his fits. Partly because his build appears to be similar to mine, but also because I usually like what he's done, and still, after a week of thinking about it, can't really put my finger on what it is.
  • I really like the front darts on this jacket, because they give you something to look at on the solid cloth.
  • The gorge/tie/collar bit here is yet again quite different from the other two which are already up. Here gnatty's gorge has fallen below the line of the shoulder, though whether this is a product of having his hands in his pockets is unknown. Looking at one of his other photos, this may actually be intentional.
  • I also think the plunge on this jacket really works well.
  • As with some of the other feedback on this, I think I might like this more with darker pants.
  • I do think the shirt provides a nice... inversion of the usual tie/shirt dynamic.
  • This one made it here because try as I might to not say it, that jacket looks ridiculously short up above the thumb. While I understand that one might do such a thing because it's probably fashionable at the moment, to me it just looks like the jacket is the wrong size.
There's my stuff. I have tried to put some time and thought into these over the past week, and it is my hope they are of use to someone. Hopefully now JA01 will grace us with some observations of his own. Cheers folks. Have a good one.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this an imitation of Vox's "Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest !" only with more words ??

:lurk::lurk:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pass some of that, would ya? Wasn't expecting to stand around this long and now I've missed lunch.

Is this an imitation of Vox's "Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest !" only with more words ??

:lurk::lurk:

Not so much. I have neither the cred nor the skill to play Vox. This is, as I said, keeping with my part of the bargain.

Last edited:

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:lurk:.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
am i doin it rite?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheesh - I didn't know there was so much science behind my fits..

I need Holdfast to step in & help.

In all seriousness - nice summary as even I learn't from your analysis of my fits & anything that makes me taller is a BONUS!

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and the suspense builds ... :marchal:

yep we need holdfast to analyze and clarify... :satisfied:

Last edited:

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads