• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch Advice

Christoff

Active Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Sorry if this isnt the place for this, but I though itd be appropriate in this section!

Id like some advice on a watch for myself. I am 22 and looking for something I can wear daily. I am still a student and my normal attire is very casual so something overly dressy isnt really want I am looking for, kinda interested in the Bell and Ross type, more military esc, or tank style watch. I travel about 3 months or more out of the year and will continue doing so for a number of years so Id like something durable and able to take a bump.

Id LOVE a IWC, Panerai, Vacheron Constantin or Girard Perregaux but I dont know if itd be appropriate to wear in Egypt/Russia(both places ill be traveling solo to this year) if you have an opposing opinion to this please change my mind, as id love to run out and get a Pilot from IWC
laugh.gif
.

As for price id like to keep it below 5k Canadian, lower the better, but id like something of Quality that will last. This will also be my first "Real" watch that I am buying, so I dont know if spending that much will be a good thing, would like to get my feet wet, but would also like to place them in the right pool.

Watches ive owned are a very small list that include more plastic Mickey mouse watches from when I was a child then anything else, Other than those I have my Fathers custom 23K Rolex that I wear only for weddings and the like, and I shortly had a very cheap Lacoste watch that I bought in Greece over the summer, but lost in Italy 5 weeks later lol

Any help would be amazing with this and again sorry if this is in the wrong place, if you need more info do let me know, this is a big purchase for me and Id like to get it right the first time.
 

huy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
With 5k you have so many options. Just make sure you don't get anything too fancy that will get you noticed when you're traveling (well known brands like Rolex/Panerai). From your list I think the VC would be out of place for a casual student setting and the Panerai could make you a target for theft. IWC, B&R and the GP are good brands and you shouldn't have a problem with them. The IWC Pilot Chrono is especially nice looking. Other brands I recommed for casual/military: Fortis Anonimo Damasko Stowa Airman Sinn Marathon Ball Kobold Make sure you do your homework on such a big purchase. Read the timezone forum and watchuseek http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
 

ProphetHammer

Active Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Consider Hamilton, Oris, Omega, U-boat, and Longines as well. It will keep the price down and, so long as you can go without complications and gold, you'll be able to retain the style you're looking for.

Some websites you may want to try are Jomashop.com authenticwatches.com and interwatches.com

Have a look around. There's some great aftermarket specials on all those sites. I've recently picked up a Breitling and a Longines Master Collection from them and have been happy with both. Keeping it under 5k for a quality watch should be a cinch
wink.gif
 

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
747
Originally Posted by Christoff
Sorry if this isnt the place for this, but I though itd be appropriate in this section!

Id like some advice on a watch for myself. I am 22 and looking for something I can wear daily. I am still a student and my normal attire is very casual so something overly dressy isnt really want I am looking for, kinda interested in the Bell and Ross type, more military esc, or tank style watch. I travel about 3 months or more out of the year and will continue doing so for a number of years so Id like something durable and able to take a bump.

Id LOVE a IWC, Panerai, Vacheron Constantin or Girard Perregaux but I dont know if itd be appropriate to wear in Egypt/Russia(both places ill be traveling solo to this year) if you have an opposing opinion to this please change my mind, as id love to run out and get a Pilot from IWC
laugh.gif
.

As for price id like to keep it below 5k Canadian, lower the better, but id like something of Quality that will last. This will also be my first "Real" watch that I am buying, so I dont know if spending that much will be a good thing, would like to get my feet wet, but would also like to place them in the right pool.

Watches ive owned are a very small list that include more plastic Mickey mouse watches from when I was a child then anything else, Other than those I have my Fathers custom 23K Rolex that I wear only for weddings and the like, and I shortly had a very cheap Lacoste watch that I bought in Greece over the summer, but lost in Italy 5 weeks later lol

Any help would be amazing with this and again sorry if this is in the wrong place, if you need more info do let me know, this is a big purchase for me and Id like to get it right the first time.


If you are travelling, best stay away from any big ticket items. I'd recommend a Sinn U1 or U2 (the GMT function would be useful). Its built like a tank and pretty masculine.

Don't you have a student loan to pay off or is your daddy doing you a favour.

Gaz
 

ProphetHammer

Active Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Gaz, you make it sound like parents helping their kids out with school is a bad or somehow ignoble thing?
 

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
3,329
Reaction score
21,223
Since this is your first big watch purchase, I'd start off small to get your feet wet into the higher watch category. I would actually buy two: one very good, inexpensive, rugged watch with which to travel. When traveling, especially to foreign areas, it's best not to bring the best pieces of any aspect of your collections. For a travel watch, I'd suggest a Tissot or Seiko. You can find a very nice piece from either manufacturer for ~$500-700 at retail. For a higher end piece, I'd say go for an Omega, Oris, Hamilton, and any of the other manufacturers listed here. You can easily get an Omega Seamaster automatic ~$2000. You have plenty of time ahead of you to add higher end pieces to your collection.
 

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
747
Originally Posted by 330CK
Since this is your first big watch purchase, I'd start off small to get your feet wet into the higher watch category. I would actually buy two: one very good, inexpensive, rugged watch with which to travel. When traveling, especially to foreign areas, it's best not to bring the best pieces of any aspect of your collections. For a travel watch, I'd suggest a Tissot or Seiko. You can find a very nice piece from either manufacturer for ~$500-700 at retail. For a higher end piece, I'd say go for an Omega, Oris, Hamilton, and any of the other manufacturers listed here. You can easily get an Omega Seamaster automatic ~$2000. You have plenty of time ahead of you to add higher end pieces to your collection.


Great advice...
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
26,703
Reaction score
9,830
My two recommendations:

1. IWC Mark XV, classic dial (the last generation. much prettier than the XVI)
2. Rolex Explorer I
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
19,672
Reaction score
1,555
I'd probably get an IWC Mark XVI pilot watch if I was the OP
 

norton

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2008
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
I'll add my vote for the omega, but if you're traveling in countries where crime is high I'd suggest you take a look at this website: http://www.westcoastime.com/index.html He carries a variety of watches using swiss movements similar to (or the same as) those used by the expensive big name makers. The cases and bands are well constructive although I haven't tried one for diving. I got one for my son and was very satisfied. Make sure you get an automatic movement with hacking.
 

ArliHawk`

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
931
Reaction score
0
Two I am thinking about may suit your needs, Omega Planet Ocean and IWC Spitfire UTC (handy with your travels).
 

Agnacious

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2008
Messages
677
Reaction score
4
Wear the Mickey Mouse watch for travel, leave the nice watch at home.

Wearing a $5K watch as a daily wear in a foreign country can invite unwanted attention.
 

Nizdar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My two recommendations:

1. IWC Mark XV, classic dial (the last generation. much prettier than the XVI)
2. Rolex Explorer I


Rolex makes a very good watch but.....

1) It is THE nuevo riche watch the world over, i.e. the watch people buy when they have no idea about watches in order to impress people. You could spend 70k on a Patek 5070 (or whatever the going rate is in this recession), but a rolex would still make more people think you're a showy douche. I know many would say this is unfair, because rolex makes a great watch and has a solid history. Nevertheless, that's just the way it is. Rolex has pretty much done this to to itself buy making itself so iconic through it's marketing.

2) Not only will you get a pretty bad bang for your buck with Rolex because of the amount of money they spend to convince everybody how awesome they are, but it is also THE worst watch if you attempting not to get, you know, robbed.

(that being said, sub, sea-dweller, explorer I, and daytona are purty designs)
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

  • Peacoat

  • Great coat

  • Trench

  • Mac

  • Chesterfield

  • Duffle coat

  • Topcoat

  • Shearling

  • Balmacaan

  • Parka

  • Loden

  • Car coat


Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
503,160
Messages
10,563,719
Members
223,358
Latest member
getbioxtrim
Top