• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hydeous

Reaction score
many of them started posting stuffs like Tokyo, USA. Or saying derogatory remarks bout how their ‘father’ Abe was shot etc.

meanwhile, these “patriotic“ folks have japanese sounding user names on their IG and wearing all vis stuffs.

that being said, i think there’ll be at least 50% drop in sales this season (assuming the chinese market‘s bout 70-80% of total vis sales worldwide). Whoever proposed the idea to have those limited edition region items bout to get fired by hiroki lol.

all relevant posts have been deleted, and existing posts have comments limited. I think the chinese buyers are expecting formal apologies from vis / hiroki. But from an international stand point, vis didnt do nothing wrong, as all airports worldwide acknowledged “taipei, Taiwan”.

Vis being a very formal and traditional company, would they cave in and apologize to their no 1 customer? Or would they stand firm? Battle of honor vs capitalism here lol.

Last edited:

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many of these folks aren't actually Visvim customers. *shrug*

BTW, the website was having issues last night and I thought maybe they had gotten hacked, but looks like they just launched a new redesign :D

Hydeous

Reaction score

BTW, the website was having issues last night and I thought maybe they had gotten hacked, but looks like they just launched a new redesign :D

resellers are vis’ no 1 customer, man. They are willing to drop mega bucks, to flip later down the road.

especially at bad economic time like this.

ibn_pengel

Reaction score

I had a look at stockists page and it used to just be one page with the list. Now it’s a drop down for country and the drop down for Taiwan is China/ Taiwan. Is this a change in response to what happened yesterday? Or did it always say that?

BlakeRVA

Reaction score
that being said, i think there’ll be at least 50% drop in sales this season (assuming the chinese market‘s bout 70-80% of total vis sales worldwide). Whoever proposed the idea to have those limited edition region items bout to get fired by hiroki lol.
Aside from multiple resellers being based in Hong Kong, what makes you think Visvim is so dependent on China?

Prada had 38% of their total revenue coming from "Asia Pacific" in 2021 - which includes mainland China, Korea, and Taiwan. Prada is a very different brand than Visvim, but they're one of the few publicly traded luxury retailers and gives us some insight into who's buying luxury goods. China is likely the largest target demographic for Visvim, but I don't know if Chinese customers will be uniformly *outraged* and stop buying Visvim for referring to a stockists location as "Taipei, Taiwan".

In my opinion, I don't understand what all the fuss was about. It would be one thing if they said "Taipei, Taiwan (ROC)", but all it said was "Taipei, Taiwan" - which is the city and province the store is located in, regardless of your philosophy on the matter.

kami

Reaction score
really just blown out of proportion. felt like alot of those accounts were fake too.
where can we buy this fire sale of visvim from china

iamneilxx

Reaction score
Aside from multiple resellers being based in Hong Kong, what makes you think Visvim is so dependent on China?

Prada had 38% of their total revenue coming from "Asia Pacific" in 2021 - which includes mainland China, Korea, and Taiwan. Prada is a very different brand than Visvim, but they're one of the few publicly traded luxury retailers and gives us some insight into who's buying luxury goods. China is likely the largest target demographic for Visvim, but I don't know if Chinese customers will be uniformly *outraged* and stop buying Visvim for referring to a stockists location as "Taipei, Taiwan".

In my opinion, I don't understand what all the fuss was about. It would be one thing if they said "Taipei, Taiwan (ROC)", but all it said was "Taipei, Taiwan" - which is the city and province the store is located in, regardless of your philosophy on the matter.
As far as I know, Chinese buyers have been receiving a lot of complaints from customers. A lot of customers even want to cancel their 22AW preorder (which I’m sure isn’t possible). The point is, most buyers are pressured to communicate with Visvim stores/managers regarding this issue. Not sure if this is why they deleted the posts though.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume the brigading on comments is why they took them dow, on average a post would receive 3-4 comments and they got like 3000 :D

iamneilxx

Reaction score
Also, a couple of things worth noting (not making any political statements, just trying to provide more context to the discussion since I’m Chinese).

(1) The Chinese Visvim community is mainly mad because the Invincible store post was posted on the day of the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, which marked the beginning of the Japanese invasion of China.

(2) Will this affect sales? Yes. But is the drop going to be massive? Probably no. As previously stated in the discussion, most derogatory comments are from people who presumably never bought or even heard of Visvim until this incident. The Chinese Visvim community is, of course, mad at Hiroki and Visvim, but nothing radical compared to the comments under the Invincible store post.

Hydeous

Reaction score

Most of HK resellers used to sell to Chinese mainlanders. Soon, the mainlanders themselves become the middleman / reseller.

if you saw the deleted post, you’d get a better understanding. I saw the comments and the members were mostly mainlanders and their IG post have lots of vis content.

Hydeous

Reaction score
What was in the invincible store post that was so offensive

taiwan and China is similar to Israel and Palestine, I think.

you have to be inside the social conditioning from early age, to relate to their rage and fury. To outsiders like us, we cant understand what they are going through.

Hydeous

Reaction score
77A35A59-5EDF-4BDD-B92B-F440249194D5.jpeg
77A35A59-5EDF-4BDD-B92B-F440249194D5.jpeg

I thought they were all bots, but it’s real account. I clicked and read some of the posts, most of them are mainlander vis collectors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads