• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage belts

samurai

Reaction score
I have recently gotten into collecting old, used and worn vintage leather belts, with interesting buckles. Found a few in thrift stores, then some really great ones at retail. The really interesting ones are surprisingly hard to find, even at a place like Fred Siegel. They have a lot of them, mostly in the $100. to $150 range, and I bought one which was too nice to pass up. The others were mostly what one might find at Goodwill but also priced very high.

This new hobby is a challenge. I don't get a sense that there are very many other people into this, maybe because belts get thrown away a lot. But the rare find of a beautiful old '70's belt with fine patina and use marks that tell a story, well that gets my adrenaline pumping. PLUS - they are great to wear, and can make an every-day outfit suddenly come to life.

Anybody else into this field?

stevenvg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by samurai
I have recently gotten into collecting old, used and worn vintage leather belts, with interesting buckles. Found a few in thrift stores, then some really great ones at retail. The really interesting ones are surprisingly hard to find, even at a place like Fred Siegel. They have a lot of them, mostly in the $100. to $150 range, and I bought one which was too nice to pass up. The others were mostly what one might find at Goodwill but also priced very high.

This new hobby is a challenge. I don't get a sense that there are very many other people into this, maybe because belts get thrown away a lot. But the rare find of a beautiful old '70's belt with fine patina and use marks that tell a story, well that gets my adrenaline pumping. PLUS - they are great to wear, and can make an every-day outfit suddenly come to life.

Anybody else into this field?

pics.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to buy something you'll have to either call her or send her an email, unless you want to go by the store which is in LA. here is a link to the thread with lots of pics and info: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...ad.php?t=31273
08-01-07037-1.jpg
DSCN1070.jpg
nice wires behind the belts

Ashman20

Reaction score
Also in LA is Kimski on 2nd street in little Tokyo, they always have interesting vintage belts and buckles. I've found a few classic rodeo champion buckles when I've been in

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ashman20
Also in LA is Kimski on 2nd street in little Tokyo, they always have interesting vintage belts and buckles. I've found a few classic rodeo champion buckles when I've been in

Ashman - Welcome to the forum. What sort of prices do they ask at Kimski for the vintage belts? Right now I am getting the best deals on the web, but am always interested in retail at fair value. Thanks.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've picked up some interesting vintage leather belts on eBay but stopped after having been stuck with some where the photos just don't match the real thing. I find it hard to judge the quality and finish of leather from pics.

I used to purchase vintage belts from a woman at the Flea Market in NYC. She claimed to scout thrift stores in up-state NY and then sell them to Ralph Lauren for his stores.

I now find nice vintage belts at a big flea market in Alameda, CA the first Sunday of every month. They also have lots of vintage boots, jackets, military, etc.

I really like a vintage tan leather belt with levis or khakis.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSCN1070.jpg
MMM....overloaded outlets next to old wood and burlap! This photo was taken moments before an electrical fire killed 7.

Ashman20

Reaction score
I've found at kimski that the prices run up to about 50 for a belt and buckle while some of the nicer hand tooled belts can go up to 80 by themselves

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
old tooled belts are cool, but if you're getting them from places like Fred Segal or Hollywood Trading Co, they arent actually vintage (the ones in the 100-200 range) but are newly made using weathered hardwares. The guy that made em for FS/HTC is a friend of mine and he made quite a few for me, I remember him working on a batch of like 50 belts for Fred Segal when I went to his place to pick my **** up.

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ashman20
I've found at kimski that the prices run up to about 50 for a belt and buckle while some of the nicer hand tooled belts can go up to 80 by themselves

Thanks.

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
old tooled belts are cool, but if you're getting them from places like Fred Segal or Hollywood Trading Co, they arent actually vintage (the ones in the 100-200 range) but are newly made using weathered hardwares. The guy that made em for FS/HTC is a friend of mine and he made quite a few for me, I remember him working on a batch of like 50 belts for Fred Segal when I went to his place to pick my **** up.

Are those the tooled belts that you're referring to? I like plain leather that shows what I see as real wear. Some of the ones at FS looked like new repros, but there were also some that seemed very old and worn. If yr. friend can create that from scratch on new leather he must be some sort of genius...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads