• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skell6009

Reaction score

I recently got my 8 year old waxed flesh service boots resoled by Unsung House in Nashville, TN. I opted for a Vibram 2040 (their version of the commando sole) to replace the worn out Dainite. Paid $160 for the resole, plus $75 for handstitched outsole to make sure all of the original holes on the welt were used. Very happy with how they came out.

1 - 06Qs30b.jpg

2 - QteCr3X.jpg

9 - QyYIKN8.jpg

10 - QpmOWet.jpg

8 - 9D2dFbh.jpg

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: jwy

7sport

Reaction score
What is the difference between a service boot and boondocker?
I think a boondocker is a specific makeup of a service boot with the following features: plain toe, unlined, extra row of stitching on the quarters.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally right, though this particular makeup isn't plain toe. Extra row of stitching is generally the most noticeable difference really
The extra row of stitching (3 vs 2 for counter, 4 vs 3 for quarters) is the only reliable difference. The other would be the non-reinforced collar, but that's a wash when the boots are fully lined.

7sport

Reaction score
The extra row of stitching (3 vs 2 for counter, 4 vs 3 for quarters) is the only reliable difference. The other would be the non-reinforced collar, but that's a wash when the boots are fully lined.

i feel like Viberg typically goes with unstructured toe too.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a service boot and boondocker?
Service boot is an m42 pattern and a boondocker is an m43. But per Viberg a boondocker is a plaintoe boot with 4 rows of quarter stitching and 3 rows of heel stitching with no collar and unlined. They have the same general dies for clicking, but Viberg has only run one BCT Boondocker which is what Vocans posted and what @ajd578 has an incredibly well worn example of. Usually unstructured they are unstructured too.

i feel like Viberg typically goes with unstructured toe too.

Except when Division Road does SMUs in it. They always go for structured toe IIRC.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Service boot is an m42 pattern and a boondocker is an m43. But per Viberg a boondocker is a plaintoe boot with 4 rows of quarter stitching and 3 rows of heel stitching with no collar and unlined. They have the same general dies for clicking, but Viberg has only run one BCT Boondocker which is what Vocans posted and what @ajd578 has an incredibly well worn example of. Usually unstructured they are unstructured too.

Except when Division Road does SMUs in it. They always go for structured toe IIRC.

not to be pedantic but Viberg has always said their boondocker was based on the N-1 and not the M-43, but basically they’re the same.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not to be pedantic but Viberg has always said their boondocker was based on the N-1 and not the M-43, but basically they’re the same.
That sounds right. I always say M-43 because its easier to track it with the m-42 service shoe. I don't know the difference between the 2 honestly. I'm sure there's some hardcore reproduction minded folks who can tell the difference, but that's beyond my knowledge.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if it’s a new thing Viberg is adding rawhides in the box now? My most recent purchase, the box was loaded. 3 pairs of laces, cream.. the boots came in vacuum sealed bags. Cloth boot bags. Mostly standard stuff.. but I don’t remember rawhides ever being included

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if it’s a new thing Viberg is adding rawhides in the box now? My most recent purchase, the box was loaded. 3 pairs of laces, cream.. the boots came in vacuum sealed bags. Cloth boot bags. Mostly standard stuff.. but I don’t remember rawhides ever being included
Anytime you have a pair that can fit rawhides they usually include em

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads