• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skeptical jesus

Reaction score
I don't think they're the brandy's, I think they're from the sample sale, you can tell by the messed up toecap ripple. Dude's also trying to flip them for more than he paid, despite also wearing them a bunch. maybe he'll get it, but I doubt it.

jp2k1

Reaction score
I don't think they're the brandy's, I think they're from the sample sale, you can tell by the messed up toecap ripple. Dude's also trying to flip them for more than he paid, despite also wearing them a bunch. maybe he'll get it, but I doubt it.

If you knew what cost and hassle it was to get this youd know better than to say what youre saying instead of just running it. They are the nat cordovans which are unlined and have an unstructured toe. Theyll probably never make this again.

skeptical jesus

Reaction score
If you knew what cost and hassle it was to get this youd know better than to say what youre saying instead of just running it. They are the nat cordovans which are unlined and have an unstructured toe. Theyll probably never make this again.
Maybe. I honestly dont particularly care. I dont think it's a great buy, but that doesn't mean someone won't buy them.

Also, there's not any particular reason to believe they'll never be made again. I mean, maybe they won't, but maybe they will, who knows? And if they're not, why does that matter? Lots of things will never be made again that no one cares about.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe. I honestly dont particularly care. I dont think it's a great buy, but that doesn't mean someone won't buy them. 

Also, there's not any particular reason to believe they'll never be made again. I mean, maybe they won't, but maybe they will, who knows? And if they're not, why does that matter? Lots of things will never be made again that no one cares about. 

Jesus, you're skeptical...

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Well I can only go off your AE size in the 65....I tried an 11.5 Viberg 2030 and it was a touch short for me(could have lived with it) and tight width in the toebox(could not live with that).

Not sure who has free returns...however I usually build an extra $100 into the cost of a shoe/boot in my mind when trying a new manufacturer or last to account for return shipping to get fit correct. I consider most of what I buy to be lifetime or lengthy purchases so the cost over that time to get a perfect fit is well worth it.

jp2k1

Reaction score
Jesus, you're skeptical...

It would be nice to visit this forum without having to read posts full of conjecture and misinformation- sample sale? Messed up toe cap? Brandy shell? People want to be informed, not mislead. Who wants to read this nonsense?

There was a load of information on this about a year ago. Im not saying its going to sell or not, but you obviously dont understand supply and demand.

Last edited:

skeptical jesus

Reaction score
It would be nice to visit this forum without having to read posts full of conjecture and misinformation- sample sale? Messed up toe cap? Brandy shell? People want to be informed, not mislead. Who wants to read this nonsense?

There was a load of information on this about a year ago. Im not saying its going to sell or not, but you obviously dont understand supply and demand.
The grailed explicitly says they're natty shell, not brandy. There was a pair matching this exact description in the second sample sale. They were samples because one of the toe-caps has an unusual ripple, clearly visible in the grailed images. If that's what qualifies as conjecture, then I don't know what else you'd need for proof.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much conflicting advice. Guy from Viberg even told me that 6.5 might work for me. Is there anywhere I can buy a pair that has free returns?

I can correlate on some of your references as I've got AE Strands, I previously owned an Alden on the Leydon and have three Viberg boots on the 2030 last.

- I am 8D TTS on the Brannock.
- The AE Strands are 7.5D and if I had to do it again, I'd go 7.5E.
- I had the Leydon in 8Eand I should have gotten an 8D (advice on Leydon is usually TTS).
- I have one 2030 boot and it's a 7.5. There's ample room although with thick socks, they're okay.
- I have two 2030 boots in 7. They are a better fit although I can't wear really thick socks with them.

So, I can see why Guy is saying you might get a 6.5 to work. I'd say if the Leydons are pretty snug, you should go with a 7. If you've got a bit of wiggle room in them, then try a 6.5. Personally, I'd go with a 7. You can always use a thin insole or wear thicker socks. A bit big is better than too small.

And it will likely not be your last Vibergs, so you can go smaller on your future purchases based on your experience, which is what I did. I can't believe that the 7's would be so big that you'd want to get rid of them.

Good luck.

wkd80

Reaction score
Quote:
i think it depends if you have wide feet or not. guy seems to size down a lot and let the leather stretch out. imo i would go 7 if you have medium to narrow feet and 7.5 for wide feet

MonotovsOpera

Reaction score
The grailed explicitly says they're natty shell, not brandy. There was a pair matching this exact description in the second sample sale. They were samples because one of the toe-caps has an unusual ripple, clearly visible in the grailed images. If that's what qualifies as conjecture, then I don't know what else you'd need for proof.

They are very clearly natural shell cordovan purchased from 14 oz Berlin, who had stock for an extended period of time. The ones that were sold in the sample sale had been resoled, so had excess perforations in the stitchdown upper, and had significant rippling in the toecap, which these do not have at the moment. They also had a significant deviation in the outsole stitching, which these do not have.

Both were unlined with an unstructured toe, but they are not the sample boots.

chenm0416

Reaction score
Well I can only go off your AE size in the 65....I tried an 11.5 Viberg 2030 and it was a touch short for me(could have lived with it) and tight width in the toebox(could not live with that).

Not sure who has free returns...however I usually build an extra $100 into the cost of a shoe/boot in my mind when trying a new manufacturer or last to account for return shipping to get fit correct. I consider most of what I buy to be lifetime or lengthy purchases so the cost over that time to get a perfect fit is well worth it.

I can correlate on some of your references as I've got AE Strands, I previously owned an Alden on the Leydon and have three Viberg boots on the 2030 last.

- I am 8D TTS on the Brannock.
- The AE Strands are 7.5D and if I had to do it again, I'd go 7.5E.
- I had the Leydon in 8Eand I should have gotten an 8D (advice on Leydon is usually TTS).
- I have one 2030 boot and it's a 7.5. There's ample room although with thick socks, they're okay.
- I have two 2030 boots in 7. They are a better fit although I can't wear really thick socks with them.

So, I can see why Guy is saying you might get a 6.5 to work. I'd say if the Leydons are pretty snug, you should go with a 7. If you've got a bit of wiggle room in them, then try a 6.5. Personally, I'd go with a 7. You can always use a thin insole or wear thicker socks. A bit big is better than too small.

And it will likely not be your last Vibergs, so you can go smaller on your future purchases based on your experience, which is what I did. I can't believe that the 7's would be so big that you'd want to get rid of them.

Good luck.

Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll probably go with a size 7 for my first purchase.

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score

these are the ones from the sample sale: https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/2ed7lq/viberg_natural_shell_cordovan_service_boots/. Although the grailed pair and the pair from the sample sale are a size 10.5, I dont believe they are the same. I do agree with @jp2k1 , there is too much misinformation out here.
What happens is when someone who is considering buying those boots comes here looking for information and when they see your comment @skeptical jesus , they are going to presume that the boots are from the sample sale, which leads to them wanting to pay "sample-sale" price. So at the end of the day, an honest man will lose money because you assumed that these were from the sample sale.
It is your prerogative to post want you want but you have to understand that the things you post have consequences. So in the interest of everyone in this forum, stop being so certain of what you think you know.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads