• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jmccle2

Reaction score
QOTD:
Super subjective because clearly it comes down to current collection, current wardrobe yada yada...however gonna ask it anyway. The two are close enough in price (also posted in the Alden forum because I'm curious for opinions)
Would you rather Alden shell (black or #8) or non shell Viberg? Or neither...(maybe you want the snuff suede Indy
;))
If we are talking non-exotic Alden shell in a non-dressy boot style and last (e.g., plain toe color 8 with commando sole), I’d go with non-shell Viberg, particularly in an interesting leather.

I could go either way. Are either a limited release? Alden color 8 Wingtip/tanker/brogue boots are all pretty sweet. If the viberg is a stock item you can buy at any time vs an Alden where you’re trying to jump on a preorder... I’d go Alden. And the reverse if the Viberg is a limited run.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go non shell Viberg with mto style specifics. In terms of shell, it would totally depend on the specifics. If it were an Alden Ravello Indy that's the only Alden id be interested in. Viberg, I'd go for another 110 last in any color available might even be willing to pay the insane premium for non color 8 or Black.
I'm an Indy fiend. Whiskey, cigar, Ravello Indy get me giddy...

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could go either way. Are either a limited release? Alden color 8 Wingtip/tanker/brogue boots are all pretty sweet. If the viberg is a stock item you can buy at any time vs an Alden where you’re trying to jump on a preorder... I’d go Alden. And the reverse if the Viberg is a limited run.
I hate that I'm that guy that asked in such a vague manner. I used a few test subjects and all I got were more questions in return haha

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an Indy fiend. Whiskey, cigar, Ravello Indy get me giddy...
Ravello or even whiskey Indy is the last Alden I want. I haven't don't the shell hunting in a while so kind of given up on finding one. Haven't gotten my latest Viberg MTO but already have ideas for the next.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello or even whiskey Indy is the last Alden I want. I haven't don't the shell hunting in a while so kind of given up on finding one. Haven't gotten my latest Viberg MTO but already have ideas for the next.
I love the different leathers Viberg uses. I don't have an exotic in Alden yet, but color 8 is spectacular and readily available in about every style imaginable. I get the exclusive vibe and all that, but...

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the different leathers Viberg uses. I don't have an exotic in Alden yet, but color 8 is spectacular and readily available in about every style imaginable. I get the exclusive vibe and all that, but...
pretty much hands down I'll take a Viberg MTO over any Alden except the aforementioned Indy. I'm sure they'll be having an MTO event again soon.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QOTD:
Super subjective because clearly it comes down to current collection, current wardrobe yada yada...however gonna ask it anyway. The two are close enough in price (also posted in the Alden forum because I'm curious for opinions)
Would you rather Alden shell (black or #8) or non shell Viberg? Or neither...(maybe you want the snuff suede Indy
;))
I really want those black camel service boots ?

I’m a viberg 10 and they only go to 9.5.

InternetTears

Reaction score
QOTD:
;))
Love both Viberg and alden. But I’d go Viberg non shell 100%...their leathers are so interesting and 2030 is my favorite last.
Not really a fan of color 8 (ye i know) so this was kinda an easy choice.

I mostly just look at alden rare shells and their suede anyway; I feel other makers in the same tier have better calf makeups.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was looking for years for a pair whiskey Indys. TSM did a run recently but I’m probably way down on the list. *But* my obsessive ebay monitoring paid off a week ago in my size and new.

Considering how many people want them I’m not surprised that one Alden retailer doesn’t just specialize in GMTO those.

If Viberg did a moc toe in the 2045 or similar last that’d be a killer boot.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking for years for a pair whiskey Indys. TSM did a run recently but I’m probably way down on the list. *But* my obsessive ebay monitoring paid off a week ago in my size and new.

Considering how many people want them I’m not surprised that one Alden retailer doesn’t just specialize in GMTO those.

If Viberg did a moc toe in the 2045 or similar last that’d be a killer boot.
Nice work on finding a pair. Im on many lists circa 2015 lol. I think with the size of Alden's operation they just cant source enough of it, but there is way more available then in previous years. One day I will get a pair, I have a cigar pair, and that was the first Alden boot I ever wanted so Im happy. But shell no longer interests me the way it used to and I much prefer the "exotic" perhaps unique offerings of Viberg.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of exotic shell, tumbled black shell cordovan today. Antique brass eyelets replaced blind ones, Vibram 705 half sole replaced Dainite, and dark brown edges replaced black.

FBCAB46C-30EF-41E7-ABE2-F2A0DFB7B3AC.jpeg
D139A5CB-138B-4C46-BF44-E5EFE646D9D7.jpeg

982542CA-B29A-4022-A7EB-ACA0FE6E2A47.jpeg

In both indirect light and direct, color appears dark blue to me, which isn't bad. They very much remind me of the matte black calf from a few years back. I think Viberg really pumped the saturation on their product photos for the tumbled shell.

6CD3C201-05E8-4E55-99FE-B2111CC55002.jpeg

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of exotic shell, tumbled black shell cordovan today. Antique brass eyelets replaced blind ones, Vibram 705 half sole replaced Dainite, and dark brown edges replaced black.

View attachment 1211766 View attachment 1211767

In both indirect light and direct, color appears dark blue to me, which isn't bad. They very much remind me of the matte black calf from a few years back. I think Viberg really pumped the saturation on their product photos for the tumbled shell.

View attachment 1211768
They look good in natural light

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1211766 View attachment 1211767

View attachment 1211768
Nice!
Your mods definitely elevated the design of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads