• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US waiters' worst conduct

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
No one seems to dispute my claim that about 30-40 years ago virtually all US restaurants gave the type of proper service which I like. Now only a few of the very best do.
What are your thoughts about the reasons for the change.
Has the change been an improvement?
If not, why is that (other than the fact that I am old enough to remember the way things once were) I am one of the very few complaining?
Is there any rule or reason why lesser restaurants have to serve customers any differently from the best ones?

Jesus ******* Christ, KP.

From your chickenshit gripes, I imagine you as Grandpa Simpson shaking his fist at the teenagers playing in his lawn.

Look, Americans are much richer than we were 3 decades ago. More Americans than ever before can afford to eat out. I'll bet in that Golden Age you're imagining, eating out was done only on special occasion or something families did when they were traveling. In fact, a staggering and growing fraction of our food dollar is spent eating away from home, with home-cooked meals becoming increasing rare. For many Americans, the norm is eating out (or ordering in).

So griping about today's casual dining because people are too busy/tired to cook at home versus fining dining 30 years ago to celebrate your kid's college graduation is an apples-to-oranges comparions.

(Which reminds me of my mom griping how nasty air travel is compared to how nice and gracious it supposedly was in the 1960s. Yes, in the 1960s only the rich flew. Everyone else took greyhound. The minute Joe Blow and his kids could afford to fly, the experience changed for everyone.)

Is the change in how Americans eat out an improvement? Of course it is. Our greater willingness to eat out and to afford it more means our choices have expanded. You can get sushi anywhere, in places that shock me. (Incluidng the boonies of South Texas, as I recently got to experience. As a fraction of the ordinary American's income, eating out is probably cheaper than ever before. How can that be bad?

You, KP, would probably disagree. But then you strike me as fussy as hell. Someone who looks for reason to get all pissy when some servers inadvertently does something to offend you. Because what's running in your head is that tape of what eating out was like in your imaginary Golden Age of Fine Dining in America.

(You might consult some the books about the post-1945 history of fine dining in the US. It really wasn't as wonderful as you imagine.)

I could say more about this but I don't have the time.

As for why different restaurants treat their customers differently, it's finally all about economics. It's a brutal business. Margins are non-existent. (It's also the only industry where diners expect to be comped for the slightest thing. Like having to wait -- to be seated, to be served -- for longer than they like. Can you imagine a supermarket manager knocking 10% off the bill because you're pissed that the checkout lines were jammed?)

Low-dollar places (coffee shops and casual places, especially) make their money turning tables. During a 11am-2pm lunch rush, a single table might turn 5 times. No one has time to wait, neither the owner, the server, nor the diner. That's why the check comes the moment the food arrives and you pay the cashier not the server. And why they loathe campers who linger, linger . . . and linger after finishing their food. It's eat and get out so we can seat the next person.

Fine dining, where a table might turn 2x/night is another matter. Gross margins are higher. Customers are paying as much for the experience as for food. The server knows that if you stiff him on the tip, he's screwed. (He's probably tipping out the busser, the bartender and other workers you the diner may never see.) So, yes, he's going to be more solicitous that the server in the coffee shop who calls you "hon" when she takes your order.

Ok, I have to hop.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Kennethpollock: Increasing Americans' already-ridiculous sense of entitlement, one dinner at a time.

I'm glad he necro'd the thread, though. This is usually pretty awesome.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Hooters stack up in all this?

-

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
How does Hooters stack up in all this?

-

At hooters all rules are out the door

You can more than likely treat it as a topless bar..... to include stuffing dollars down womens shorts, grabbing 1-2 breast every 30 minutes, and making attempts to get a lapdance for 20 bucks.

Needless to say, this is the sole reason my wife along with Hooters management, no longer allows me entrance into their fine establishment.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Americans who get ****** service when they go out to supper ought to use their fabulous kitchens instead.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
In order:
(a) My name is Bruce and I'll be taking care of you tonight (who cares what his name is and his purpose is obvious)
(b) you guys (when some of the guests are ladies)
(c) folks (i.e., commoners)
(d) Do you have any questions about the menu? (an insult; I can read English and am an experienced diner)
(e) Let me get this out of your way (as he snatches away a plate that really was not in my way)
(f) my favorite dishes are ----- (who cares?)
(g) tonight's specials are --- (as he reels off 8-10 dishes; mind-boggling; why can't they print it, as the specials are the same nearly every night)
(h) plopping down the bill before it is requested
(i) placing the cork on the table, or even worse, holding it near my nose
(j) tying a napkin around the neck of the wine bottle
(k) what "temperature" do you want your steak? (I usually say "hot")

Man... where to start I know this is a dead horse but you are so ******* annoying I can't help myself. As a sometime waiter I feel honor bound to set you straight.
a) its called breaking the ice, I don't like it as I feel my name is none of your busness but its HARD introducing your self in some way to 20-100 people a night. Some just find it easy to start with the classic.
b) A lot of people use "guys" in a gender neutral manner, not just waiters.
c) What are you royaity? get over your self.
d) I'm sure you're a ******* culinary genius but MANY "folks" indeed have questions about the menu and it provides the server with a neat segue.
e) I can't stand nit-wits who are sure they know more than me about what they do and don't need. 9/10 WE HAVE A REASON FOR WANTING TO MOVE A PLATE. It may not be in the way RIGHT NOW, but when your food comes it will be and you will be bitching about needing it cleared.
f) I'll give you that one, although I've been asked that very question many times.
g) What you mean a Lordly experienced diner like your self can't remember a few specials? Ask for clarification if you need it. Or is that beneath you?
h) You don't own the table you're just renting it. Stop camping and get out. You may think otherwise but YOU DON"T HAVE THE RIGHT TO SIT THERE ALL NIGHT.
i) Next time say" thanks but you can take that"
j) WTF??
k) So what would be better? "how would you like that cooked?" to which you answer "over a fire". Or should we just guess?

Basically your a total dick
teacha.gif

vc2000

Reaction score
Several years ago in South Philly in a diner a waitress responded to my request for an item with the response - "Don't order that here - it isn't good." Puzzled I asked what I should order - she replied, "If it were me - nothing - I drive about 1/2 mile to someother place - their food is decent." Rather surprised with the response, I closed the menu, tossed a few bucks on the table (probably what she would have made off the order) and left.

I haven't decided if that is the best or worst service but at least it was the most honest.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Man... where to start I know this is a dead horse but you are so ******* annoying I can't help myself. As a sometime waiter I feel honor bound to set you straight.
a) its called breaking the ice, I don't like it as I feel my name is none of your busness but its HARD introducing your self in some way to 20-100 people a night. Some just find it easy to start with the classic.
b) A lot of people use "guys" in a gender neutral manner, not just waiters.
c) What are you royaity? get over your self.
d) I'm sure you're a ******* culinary genius but MANY "folks" indeed have questions about the menu and it provides the server with a neat segue.
e) I can't stand nit-wits who are sure they know more than me about what they do and don't need. 9/10 WE HAVE A REASON FOR WANTING TO MOVE A PLATE. It may not be in the way RIGHT NOW, but when your food comes it will be and you will be bitching about needing it cleared.
f) I'll give you that one, although I've been asked that very question many times.
g) What you mean a Lordly experienced diner like your self can't remember a few specials? Ask for clarification if you need it. Or is that beneath you?
h) You don't own the table you're just renting it. Stop camping and get out. You may think otherwise but YOU DON"T HAVE THE RIGHT TO SIT THERE ALL NIGHT.
i) Next time say" thanks but you can take that"
j) WTF??
k) So what would be better? "how would you like that cooked?" to which you answer "over a fire". Or should we just guess?

Basically your a total dick
teacha.gif

laugh.gif
Hilarious

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wish this thread would die. I'm slightly mortified that I might accidentally be eating in the same restaurant as Ken someday, when he starts shooting the waitstaff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads