• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying tequilas

matcha

Reaction score
Prior to a trip to Mexico
cool.gif
 I was reading about tequilas. Was suprised to see the recommended ones costing $30 and up.
sadlike.gif
I don't mean to dismiss tequila lovers, but that's getting up to the price of single malts or VSOP cognacs. I'm not sure I'm going to get a comparable enjoyment for the dollar from tequilas as I do from these other spirits. However, I'm willing to give it a try.
smile.gif
Any recommendations for moderately priced tequilas?
confused.gif
I'm thinking of trying Gran Centanario Reposada. Any other suggestions?

Kevin

Reaction score
Many people are surprised to discover the cost of tequila, with even the entry level offerings (with the exception of common brands, like Jose Cuervo) costing over $30.  But consider for a moment your comparison to scotch and cognac - these liquors all share much in common.

Tequila only comes from a very small part of the world, right outside the physical town of Tequila, in the Jalisco province of Mexico (just as cognac comes from a small area of France).  Each of the Weber Agave plants used to make tequila takes 8-12 years to mature before they can be harvested, and the entire plant is consumed in the process.  While grape vines can steadily produce good grapes, and scotch producers can usually depend on a consistent grain harvest, the tequila bottled today was planted in 1997 at the latest, and the present prices are dependent on how many agaves were planted then.  

To further illustrate the commonalities between cognac and tequila, consider the aging of each product.  With cognac, the VS, VSOP, XO and Napoleon levels of aging are tightly regulated by the French government.  In Mexico, tequila is either silver, reposado, or anejo, depending on how long the tequila has aged.  The aging of fine tequilas is also regulated by the Mexican government.

To finish off this long and overly-detailed post, here's my recommendations.  Most of the trepidation in trying sipping tequilas is associated with either the fiery petrol bite of unaged tequila, or a distant memory of a long night of shots in college.  Stick to aged tequilas (reposado or anejo) which have usually mellowed some.  Two to try: Corralejo Reposado and El Tesoro Reposado (both should be between $30-40, depending on where you live).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not a tequila drinker, but I enjoyed tres generations (I am sure that I didn't spell that right).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Don Julio and Patron Gold personally. Cabo Wabo is good too.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"El Tesoro Reposado (both should be between $30-40, depending on where you live)." El Tesora Reposada and Tres Generations (easier spelling this way...) are two of my favorites, specifically for mixing in my self-professed world class margarita. Of the two, the TG is a bit smoother, but the fact is I like the added bite of the ET in my cocktail. As far as price, TG tends to run higher, in the $45 range, while ET, as Kevin suggests, runs in the $40 range. Unless of course you have an inside angle, which I do. Last year I stumbled across an unbelievable buy for El Tesoro Rep-- $25 a bottle. Being a strong supporter of our southern neighbors (and fearing the deal wouldn't last) I picked up a case of it. Once consumed, I ventured out and found that the deal was not only still on, the price had dropped to $18. Naturally I grabbed another case, and just recently picked up a third (or possibly fourth; it gets hard to count with all these margaritas under the belt) and the deal still stands. I kind of think of it as my little "secret", like these stupid college kids haven't figured it out and they're still paying more for tequila that's less than 1/2 the quality. Anyway, if you're a lover of tequila as I am and are located in the Boston area, drop me an IM and I'll let you in on my little secret (Don't wanna endanger my own supply, you understand.
wink.gif
)

anorak

Reaction score
I like Patron silver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads