• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Java waxed flesh

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

hows the fit?

Vince says TTS.

Personal experience for me is .5 size up from Barrie/Trubalance, in part to accommodate width. It's not a wide last. Personally I find they are a little snug across the instep (again sort of a low volume vamp I think), but that this has worked out OK for me.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks dude, super helpful. May need to get around to trying a pair sooner rather than later.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thanks dude, super helpful. May need to get around to trying a pair sooner rather than later. 

He's got a bunch Stead leathers coming in as well as a few other things it seems. Suede and smooth. Boots, and Vince, are definitely worth a shot.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vince says TTS.

Personal experience for me is .5 size up from Barrie/Trubalance, in part to accommodate width. It's not a wide last. Personally I find they are a little snug across the instep (again sort of a low volume vamp I think), but that this has worked out OK for me.

I'm intrigued by Truman boots as well. Partly because I like variety and it would be fun to try another manufacturer. So any additional comments you may have in comparison to the Barrie last would be helpful:

- how does the toebox feel in comparison?
- when you say a low volume vamp, do you consider the Barrie to have more volume?
- how is the heel? Particularly interested in the heel counter. It looks like it comes up pretty high and is curved so that it would cup the heel nicely.

Thanks.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm intrigued by Truman boots as well. Partly because I like variety and it would be fun to try another manufacturer.  So any additional comments you may have in comparison to the Barrie last would be helpful:

- how does the toebox feel in comparison?
- when you say a low volume vamp, do you consider the Barrie to have more volume?
- how is the heel?  Particularly interested in the heel counter.  It looks like it comes up pretty high and is curved so that it would cup the heel nicely.

Thanks.

Truman toe box is rounded and roomy. I'd say similar to the Barrie/Trubalance I wear. Similar also to Viberg 1035.

Seems like my insteps are a little high for the Truman last. There's a bit of pressure for me when the boots are new on the highest point of the instep (on the inside of each foot), around where the vamp and the tongue are sewn together. Vince has worked with me on this, and I feel as if I should have been a little more patient with the Jave waxed flesh boots to see how they molded to my feet.

Heel counter does cup nicely. I feel a if the boots do good job of gripping my feet.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts as well.

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Truman toe box is rounded and roomy. I'd say similar to the Barrie/Trubalance I wear. Similar also to Viberg 1035.

Seems like my insteps are a little high for the Truman last. There's a bit of pressure for me when the boots are new on the highest point of the instep (on the inside of each foot), around where the vamp and the tongue are sewn together. Vince has worked with me on this, and I feel as if I should have been a little more patient with the Jave waxed flesh boots to see how they molded to my feet.

Heel counter does cup nicely. I feel a if the boots do good job of gripping my feet.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts as well.

Helpful input, thanks.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...There's a bit of pressure for me when the boots are new on the highest point of the instep (on the inside of each foot), around where the vamp and the tongue are sewn together...

Curious if you have the gussetted tongue, and if so if that is the problem. I had that in a bad way with my White's until cut back the gusseted tongue myself, and then it was sweet relief...

jvillal

Reaction score
Yet another sizing question -

I'm a 8.5D in Clark's Desert Boot
8E in Alden Barrie Last (though it has a LOT of room in the toe for me)
and 8D-8E in Red Wing Gentleman Traveler (again, with a fair bit of room in the toe).

Based off what I'm seeing here, I should be OK in an 8. Any disagreements? Appreciate any help you fine gentleman can provide.

Charlie92

Reaction score
Yet another sizing question -

I'm a 8.5D in Clark's Desert Boot
8E in Alden Barrie Last (though it has a LOT of room in the toe for me)
and 8D-8E in Red Wing Gentleman Traveler (again, with a fair bit of room in the toe).

Based off what I'm seeing here, I should be OK in an 8. Any disagreements? Appreciate any help you fine gentleman can provide.

We wear the same sizes. Where is the flex point for the shoes you've listed above? Toe room doesn't really matter if the widest part of your foot is hitting the widest part of the shoe.

Personally, I went with an 8.5D Trumans (my brannock measurement), but I won't have them for another week or so. Since your feet are slightly on the wider side of things (and Trumans are a D width) I'd expect you to be an 8.5 rather than an 8. I'm sure Vince from Truman would help if you tossed him an email.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Curious if you have the gussetted tongue, and if so if that is the problem. I had that in a bad way with my White's until cut back the gusseted tongue myself, and then it was sweet relief...

That's an interesting thought. My first pair does not have the gussetted tongue, my second pair does. Issues about the same. It's really below the tongue anyway. Maybe it's more precise to say that it's where the quarters and the vamp meet.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I went with an 8.5D Trumans (my brannock measurement), but I won't have them for another week or so. Since your feet are slightly on the wider side of things (and Trumans are a D width) I'd expect you to be an 8.5 rather than an 8. I'm sure Vince from Truman would help if you tossed him an email.

jvillal, my 2 cents is I agree with Charlie, you should go Brannock but definitely email Vince as he could weigh in on the comparisons between the brands you mentioned. Vince is really helpful. I have a border 8.5 d/e Barrie and found enough width in the Truman.

What leather and sole you thinking of getting?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am getting interested in the roughout boot but wonder if anyone can testify to the texture, or post another close up pic or two. One of the things I initially liked about it was that it seemed less nappy than a lot of roughout, and i like that smoother side of roughout. But then a few pics make it seem more nappy than I thought it was... Can anyone testify to how it compares to other roughout? And would love to see pics of boots with wear.

Finally, probably this is listed somewhere, but am I right that it is natural CXL leather?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads