• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trends in FW06 I missed until the bandwagon hit me

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, dudes, you know there were some that caught you by surprise, either
pleasantly or otherwise. I'll go first:

1. Shawl collared sweaters. From Nom de Guerre to Engineered Garments to Dolce Gabbana to W+H to Loden Dagr to Hickey. I saw them, and thought, "Are people ready?" or will this be abortive, like Capris for men (big in Europe, no inroads here,) or mildly successful (like henleys). They were huge. I got one and may pick up another. Totally behind the curve on this.

Otherwise (scarves, jewelry, continuation of workwear trend) pretty on point. I guess that the workwear/Americana trend should have tipped me off. But it did not.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
1. Shawl collared sweaters.

+1 on that. Shawl collar sweaters have always been under my radar and if there weren't so many this past season I never would have given them a second look. I only bought one (a black with red/white trim RL cardigan) that I use as a jacket since it's heavy, but it's become a closet favorite and I've worn it much more than I would have thought.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shawl collar
smile.gif

I have done this in 80s.
No thank you.

swisloc

Reaction score
I'd add really deep v-neck sweaters to that list. I was resistant in favor of the more traditionally proportioned v-neck, and then i realized, "oh, if you wear it like you wear a cardigan, it all makes sense..."

then i started wanting all my v-necks to be deeper than they were.

I'm with you on shawl collars as well, except that i when i started seeing them on the racks i figured it never catch on, but was secretly hoping they would, as there's an old one in my closet that i've had for years and was itching to wear more often.

Max

Reaction score
All-over print got huge.
Fur ushanka hats suddenly became a big thing, at least in NYC.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Velvet blazers launched a blitzkrieg on the straight population in 2006. Nobody saw that **** coming.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Especially on Styleforum.net which dispite being a forum for high end wear promoted the **** out of Target brand Velvet Blazers. Looks kinda weird $15 Jacket, $200 Jeans.

savage

Reaction score
All over prints. Not just from the likes of Rogue Status, where I beleive it started... now you see it everywhere from Mike to Kid Robot to BAPE to some Disney **** I saw either here or on SuFu ((which by the way everyone said was RAD??!!! they're crazy))

Oldboy

Reaction score
cardigans - I always thought they were old fart status until I came here and saw guys like Get Smart wearing them proper

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cant believe flannel took off like it did.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^is that seenmy's band?
img00021dt.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think flannel is still on the up and up and will get bigger next year.

Agreed with DDML. Not a fan of the shemagh myself, but I have seen them around campus and thats enough to consider it a significant trend.

Max

Reaction score
The velcro shoes and slip ons threw me off a little bit too. I went through a mercifully brief obnoxious haute nantucket preppy period during which I bought pair of plain blue ones, but the arrival of like 30 different colors of Vans slip-ons in my local shoe store was surprising.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads