• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
^^^ I mostly want to see it shut down because:

a) I waste too much of my life there.
b) Most of the threads are uncreative and lame. We've been through this before, but there is a difference between smart dumb and dumb dumb. I admit I sometimes fall into the latter but more often that not I try for the first, whereas some posters don't seem to see the difference.

Okay, I get your reasoning, but if you're spending too much time there, is it a matter of avoiding something else, and can you reasonably say that the time you spend in DT's would be used more productively were it closed.

For instance: My laptop is on the fritz. Did I spend my time sans laptop fixng the bedroom floor, or clearing out the fridge, or studying for the EA exam? Nope. I read a book. Simple substitution, no gain in utility.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Okay, I get your reasoning, but if you're spending too much time there, is it a matter of avoiding something else, and can you reasonably say that the time you spend in DT's would be used more productively were it closed.

For instance: My laptop is on the fritz. Did I spend my time sans laptop fixng the bedroom floor, or clearing out the fridge, or studying for the EA exam? Nope. I read a book. Simple substitution, no gain in utility.

I think DT is one of the most meaningless uses of time known to man, though it can be mildly entertaining.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Closing DT, having more rules, more moderation, etc. won't really change anything, IMHO..

The major thing is just that other members, especially senior members, not encourage such nasty/trollish/gutter stuff. Senior members sort of set the stage and lately I think some of us (myself included) have lost sight, been a little lax, or played along with some dumb stuff that really should have just been left to disappear down the front page.

I think encouraging that we ALL use an extra four seconds of "is this good judgment?" for senior members before posting in, or starting, potentially "iffy" threaks could all but solve the problem without a lot of work on the mods part, or closing DT.

Just my two cents.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think DT is one of the most meaningless uses of time known to man, though it can be mildly entertaining.

I'm starting to think I'm in DT right now
laugh.gif
. I don't think there are many who made more threaks in the last couple of days than you. (Some of them made out of good dumb, by the way).

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Closing DT, having more rules, more moderation, etc. won't really change anything, IMHO..

The major thing is just that other members, especially senior members, not encourage such nasty/trollish/gutter stuff. Senior members sort of set the stage and lately I think some of us (myself included) have lost sight, been a little lax.

I think encouraging an extra four seconds of "is this good judgment?" for senior members before posting in, or starting, potentially "iffy" threaks could all but solve the problem without a lot of work on the mods part, or closing DT.

Just my two cents.

+1, and I'll try. No more voting in poals.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I'm starting to think I'm in DT right now
laugh.gif
. I don't think there are many who made more threaks in the last couple of days than you. (Some of them made out of good dumb, by the way).

That's my point. I waste too much work and sometimes leisure time in there.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm part of the school that just does not understand why you would ever answer yes to the question "I'm 16, want to see dicture?" People, the answer to that question is ALWAYS no. This does not seem like its a grey area or a moving target. If someone came on here and said "hey my 13 year old cousin lost her top at the pool party and I snapped a shot want to see?" would you honestly have to think about it?

As for the OP of that particular thread I've noticed him just because so many of his posts are seriously WTF inducing. At this point even if he is a troll its safe to say he has some issues. Again, somebody that thinks sending around semi-homoerotic gender-bending soft **** Appreciation is funny clearly has a few issues to work out. I suspect very strongly that he would claim he is just trolling but the tone and subject matter does suggest the line between troll and seriously maladjusted youth is more than a bit blurry.

I guess I am a bit of a old fart but the race to the bottom has never seemed interesting to me. I'm not above low brow humor or Appreciation but there is a line and DT has been over it for some time. Not to mention it's generally not funny. Just my 2 cents.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my point. I waste too much work and sometimes leisure time in there.

I'm with you there... (as in me doing same)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I guess I'm part of the school that just does not understand why you would ever answer yes to the question "I'm 16, want to see dicture?" People, the answer to that question is ALWAYS no. This does not seem like its a grey area or a moving target. If someone came on here and said "hey my 13 year old cousin lost her top at the pool party and I snapped a shot want to see?" would you honestly have to think about it?

The thread was in bad taste, but it didn't happen like this at all. Again, it was rightly squirreled and a lot of bad judgment was shown by MANY members, but there was no mention of any age on the thread in question nor was it ever clearly apparent.

Let's just let the thread die, because it will get blown way out of proportion. Please read my re-cap a page or two back to see what really happened. It's really not exactly like "To Catch a Predator" on Dateline. MOre like "Three Stooges Go to Teh Interwebz."

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

The major thing is just that other members, especially senior members, not encourage such nasty/trollish/gutter stuff. Senior members sort of set the stage and lately I think some of us (myself included) have lost sight, been a little lax, or played along with some dumb stuff that really should have just been left to disappear down the front page.

I think encouraging that we ALL use an extra four seconds of "is this good judgment?" for senior members before posting in, or starting, potentially "iffy" threaks could all but solve the problem without a lot of work on the mods part, or closing DT.

Just my two cents.

I hear you. I saw that thread that got squirreled, can't remember if I posted in there, but I read part of it and thought...really? REALLY??? I thought there was no way it could be serious, and figured the rest were pushing the joke along. Shows how little I know.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ce&m is a much worse and more offensive pig **** than DT IMO

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you're not a perz rach nor do I think you were trolling for jailbait.

I did not post in that thread but I read it and I did think it was an actual dicture in question and I did think it was clear that he was underage or at least very young based on his tone and the fact that his post history had stood out to me.

The issue to me is not wether or not you (the generic you) knew for sure he was going to send a cockshot but why anyone would even think it was worth playing along with. Maybe you might think "BS, there is no cockshot, dudes just playing a game" but why would you even bother to find out? Like I said, I think the answer to the question "do you wan to see the cock of a strange young man you met on the interwebz" is always no and it kind of boggles the mind that people need to be told that.

Again I'm not trying to call you out in particular, I just don't get the internet at times.

We all have agreed the thread was rightly squirreled/in bad taste, but AGAIN:

There was NO mention by the OP in that thread of his age or that there was an actual pic going around. The mention of being potentially under-age was made by ME in the thread, later on, just based on a hunch I had about his writing style/threads he had started.

LATER, another poster mentioned that he mentioned he was 16 in another thread he posted.

Nobody, I think, will dispute that underage kids sending ANY pics of themselves is an okay thing.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I know you're not a perz rach nor do I think you were trolling for jailbait. I did not post in that thread but I read it and I did think it was an actual dicture in question and I did think it was clear that he was underage or at least very young based on his tone and the fact that his post history had stood out to me. The issue to me is not wether or not you (the generic you) knew for sure he was going to send a cockshot but why anyone would even think it was worth playing along with. Maybe you might think "BS, there is no cockshot, dudes just playing a game" but why would you even bother to find out? Like I said, I think the answer to the question "do you wan to see the cock of a strange young man you met on the interwebz" is always no and it kind of boggles the mind that people need to be told that. Again I'm not trying to call you out in particular, I just don't get the internet at times.
I gotcha now and think you're right. That's why I mentioned above that we ALL (senior member or not) could help by taking an extra four seconds to decide "is this okay?" or "what in the world am I doing?" If anything, this whole experience has been a good way to make me go, "HOW am I spending my time and could it be better spent?" Judging from the stack of ungraded papers on my desk and the amount of time I've wasted on SF discussing this stuff... the answer should be pretty clear. See ya boys, and talk to you laterz.
wink.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was a stupid thread - and all information disclosed, an unfortunate one - but given what was contained within the thread itself it was relatively harmless. I guess I am just more desensitized to this stuff than most of your old codgers.

Having said that, I still vote for closing DT.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol @ "dicture"
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads