• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

cw-chesnut

Reaction score
I ordered an E width pair of Artista shoes and they came in with shoe trees that were too small where also one of the trees differed in size from the other. Clearly, they didn't fit the shoes well at all. Customer service was excellent though, Toni immediately sent another pair of shoe trees. Those were certainly big enough and in the right size but were way too wide for my shoes (being in narrow width) and I couldn't insert them at all, so I ended up getting a refund and opted for another brand's shoe trees (EG).

So I guess it's two issues - 1) sometimes the trees run too small, 2) in the case of narrow width shoes, the correct size trees are too wide.
In any case, I've had a very good experience with TLB resolving any such issues, customer service has been great.

Best to speak to Toni for advice on shoe tree sizing for shoes that are in between sizes, but from what I've seen I'd go with the bigger size trees in case you're getting F width shoes.
Okay thanks. When you say “speak to Toni” do you mean that I should email TLB or is there another avenue?

cw-chesnut

Reaction score
I emailed TLB about the shoe trees. Toni told me that they now test fit the shoe trees in factory to make sure that they fit your shoes before shipping. If they feel like they don't fit they will contact you and suggest a different size.

Xune

Reaction score

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walked out with my Artista pair for the first time. Feels weird to go out and do grocery shopping in dress shoes, but needed to compensate for working from home and wearing slippers for 8 months straight.

Apart from looking great, they felt very comfortable - I guess largely due to the softer construction.

IMG_2843.jpeg

karw88

Reaction score
Good to hear that you have tried on EB and will try on TLB this weekend. Fit is the most important. Both make very good shoes. Let us know which one you buy. Given what you wear to work, I would buy a couple dark brown and burgundy oxfords with shoe trees. I like the look of TLB's brown box calf leather Oxfords from their mto program.

Unfortunately, the shop didn’t have TLB in my size for trying. I tried Yanko 915 last (UK 5.5) and that fits perfectly! No heel slip and no pressure points. EB 74549 last had slight heel slip and a little snug at the widest part of my feet. (Discounted, almost same price as Yanko.)

I heard that TLB is higher quality than Yanko but I’m wondering if the fit is similar. Any TLB last that is similar to Yanko’s 915? What size should I be looking at?

I have always pondered whether if I was starting from scratch again, would I make my initially purchases from the mid tier (TLB, Carmina, etc) or pay a few hundred more and go straight into the upper tier of RTW (Edward Green etc)?

So what’s your verdict? Lol
I’m also trying hard to justify shoes in 500 euros bracket. I don’t think my CEO’s shoes are 1000euros. Maybe not even 500euros lol

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the shop didn’t have TLB in my size for trying. I tried Yanko 915 last (UK 5.5) and that fits perfectly! No heel slip and no pressure points. EB 74549 last had slight heel slip and a little snug at the widest part of my feet. (Discounted, almost same price as Yanko.)

I heard that TLB is higher quality than Yanko but I’m wondering if the fit is similar. Any TLB last that is similar to Yanko’s 915? What size should I be looking at?

I’m also trying hard to justify shoes in 500 euros bracket. I don’t think my CEO’s shoes are 1000euros. Maybe not even 500euros lol

We sell our own brand, Yanko (mainly 915 models) and TLB (main line and Artista). Have customers trying all of them them all the time, and almost all find them very similar in fit through the whole line. If anything folks find Artista a bit extra comfy with the slightly increased arch support due to the slim waist.

dsk321

Reaction score

ive got a bit of it all now. Artista oxfords 10 with thin insoles are near perfect (tiny V, if I take out insoles its completely shut), artista chukkas 10 are perfect depending on sock thickness. Alan monk straps 10 with thin insoles aren't quite snug but very comfy. As they're my first monks I can only assume this is normal.

I have a yanko (915f) 9.5 3 eye derby that fits very well except for having a kinda odd feeling arch, but that should pass with wear, an extremely close match in sizing to Carmina Forest 10. Carlos santos chelsea (401) 9.5 which fits very nicely as well, maybe a hair of pinkies touching the outers.

overall they are similar, it's just going to depend on your toes if any pressure occurs at the same size. For me, yanko 9.5 and TLB artista chukka probably have the best overall fit, followed closely by CS and Carmina forest, and the monks trail, but by no means a bad fit. Artista is definitely snugger than the standard line.

jayteee

Reaction score
Does anyone have an information on Artista line expected durability? (Maybe not, since the line is less than two years old). To my eye, when viewing from the side, the soles look thin, so my plan is to make them my "special occasion" shoes or else only wear on office carpets.

John8867

Reaction score
I have a pair of Artista shoes that are about 18 months old and they are wearing fine. Same as any other shoe really. I do look after them though; shoe cream, polish, I rotate them. But they are absolutely fine.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think @j ingevaldsson has commented on this before - They're a step below JR but better than most of what is out there and he'd gotten a couple years so far out of them. If you're that concerned you could always add a topy.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an information on Artista line expected durability? (Maybe not, since the line is less than two years old). To my eye, when viewing from the side, the soles look thin, so my plan is to make them my "special occasion" shoes or else only wear on office carpets.

The thickness of the soles are the same as many other dress shoe brands (like C&J hand grade, EG, G&G, and many many others). And as mentioned above, soles are good quality Italian super prime soles, not on pair with oak bark tanned soles but not that far off. I use my leather soled TLB's all year round, they've seen some rain as well, and my oldest main line pair which is almost 3 years old and oldest Artista pair that is about 20 months old now are still in excellent condition, no where near any need of resole etc.

Here's a photo from last week of the oldest Artista pair I have, two years old in March:
IMG_0473-1.jpg

Last edited:

LThomsen

Reaction score
The thickness of the soles are the same as many other dress shoe brands (like C&J hand grade, EG, G&G, and many many others). And as mentioned above, soles are good quality Italian super prime soles, not on pair with oak bark tanned soles but not that far off. I use my leather soled TLB's all year round, they've seen some rain as well, and my oldest main line pair which is almost 3 years old and oldest Artista pair that is about 20 months old now are still in excellent condition, no where near any need of resole etc.

Here's a photo from last week of the oldest Artista pair I have, two years old in March:
View attachment 1516578
How many times have you woren the artista pair?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads