• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tip Top Tailors a good option?

StarterForm

Reaction score
I am bulking up, so my current clothes won't fit well in the coming months.

I want to look "professional" without dropping large amounts of money on MTM clothing.

Is Tip Top Tailors a good option for relatively inexpensive clothes that still maintain a professional look?

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
I would say no. The suits are all poor fitting fused starter suits. I assume you are in Canada is you are mentioning Tip Top. Most of their suits are $400-500 for department store crap.

Also, if you are bulking up, you will find that your traps will make your shoulders slope even more and you may need something with a very soft and tailored shoulder. Otherwise you will get the dreaded side shoulder dimples.

For $500 budget on suits, I'd recommend Suitsupply. Painless return policy. If you want another cheap option, fly to NYC and go nuts at Century21. You'll probably save enough to pay for the airfare. If you are in the GTA area, go to the Harry Rosen outlet.

OTOH, if you shop at Tip Top, you will fit right in with 95% of the Canadian office drones.

StarterForm

Reaction score

I would say no. The suits are all poor fitting fused starter suits. I assume you are in Canada is you are mentioning Tip Top. Most of their suits are $400-500 for department store crap.
Also, if you are bulking up, you will find that your traps will make your shoulders slope even more and you may need something with a very soft and tailored shoulder. Otherwise you will get the dreaded side shoulder dimples.
For $500 budget on suits, I'd recommend Suitsupply. Painless return policy. If you want another cheap option, fly to NYC and go nuts at Century21. You'll probably save enough to pay for the airfare. If you are in the GTA area, go to the Harry Rosen outlet.
OTOH, if you shop at Tip Top, you will fit right in with 95% of the Canadian office drones.

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, I am in Canada (~2 hours from the GTA).

For jackets, I am thinking of just using ebay for secondhand jackets.

Where would you suggest I go for trousers and shirts? Suitsupply?

Coronaeus

Reaction score
I'll echo Birks and Grey Socks, and add that you take a peek at Gotstyle at Bathurst and Wellington. Their lower end stuff is in a similar price range to Tip Top. It may not be a whole lot better in terms of quality, but they have a variety of lines that fit a variety of body types. I assume the cheaper stuff is all fused, but Im not certain. You might get lucky with something there for about $600

Harry Rosen outlet is good. Holt Renfrew Last Call always has pile of "Holt Renfrew" labeled suits (I presume made by Coppley?) in the Tip Top price range.

Off The Cuff is a resale store near Yonge and Eglinton. Selection can be hit or miss, but the prices aren't too bad. Worth a look.

StarterForm

Reaction score
Much appreciated Coronaeus.I am about 6'1". Will I have difficulty finding my size at these places?While I am in Torontp, I wouldn't mind finding some decent weekender shoes (ex. Allen Edmonds). Are there any good discount places in Toronto for good quality shoes.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend Hitch and Supply on Ebay. He sells Allen Edmond seconds for a fraction of the retail. I got a pair of McCortland cap toe dress shoes for a $120 (retails for over 300). There was slight damage on one of the shoes that's not noticeable when worn.

For suits, check out the Hugo Boss outlet at Vaughn Mills. They sometimes sell Boss suits for $200. Usually in the $500 range though.

Boss is fused too, but they look way better than the department store stuff.

Pharaoh34

Reaction score
I'd recommend Hitch and Supply on Ebay. He sells Allen Edmond seconds for a fraction of the retail. I got a pair of McCortland cap toe dress shoes for a $120 (retails for over 300). There was slight damage on one of the shoes that's not noticeable when worn.
For suits, check out the Hugo Boss outlet at Vaughn Mills. They sometimes sell Boss suits for $200. Usually in the $500 range though.
Boss is fused too, but they look way better than the department store stuff.

Do you have Hitch's ebay link? I can't find it on Ebay.

Last edited:

Coronaeus

Reaction score
Much appreciated Coronaeus.I am about 6'1". Will I have difficulty finding my size at these places?While I am in Torontp, I wouldn't mind finding some decent weekender shoes (ex. Allen Edmonds). Are there any good discount places in Toronto for good quality shoes.

You should have no trouble at Gotstyle. If you visit their website, you can watch a tedious video made by the owner in which she describes the various suit offerings and notes the body type they flatter. Again, tedious, but informative if you want to try to source the same brands from cheaper outlets. I've found Harry Rosen Outlet and Holt Renfrew Last Call very hit or miss with sizes (I'm a 42R). They always seem to have something in my size though, and I have seen a lot of 42L and 44L.

The Hugo Boss Outlet at Vaughn Mills no longer exists ( I believe?) but you can check for yourself if you visit HRLC.

I know of no good places in Toronto to buy quality shoes at a discount. If you know your size in AE, then the web is your best bet.

yeungjai

Reaction score

You should have no trouble at Gotstyle.  If you visit their website, you can watch a tedious video made by the owner in which she describes the various suit offerings and notes the body type they flatter. Again, tedious, but informative if you want to try to source the same brands from cheaper outlets.  I've found Harry Rosen Outlet and Holt Renfrew Last Call very hit or miss with sizes (I'm a 42R).  They always seem to have something in my size though, and I have seen a lot of 42L and 44L.  

The Hugo Boss Outlet at Vaughn Mills no longer exists ( I believe?) but you can check for yourself if you visit HRLC.

I know of no good places in Toronto to buy quality shoes at a discount.  If you know your size in AE, then the web is your best bet.

Hugo Boss was there during Boxing Day this past year, but if they've wrapped up in the last 3 months, that's news to me.

One thing we should mention is that Fit > Construction. It won't matter if your suit's canvas is made from unicorn hair if it doesn't look like you pulled it from your own closet.

Average Shopper

Reaction score
Talking about Tip Top......I agree with Birks.

Well, allow me to tell you what happened to me at Tip Top Tailors.

I went to purchase $500 Stonehouse suite from Tip Top. Looked good and should have been a smooth purchase. Boy, was I wrong. Two weeks and six visits later the suite is still sitting in the store waiting to be altered properly. In fact, their in house tailor butchered the suite. I had wrinkles on my left upper back and my pants looked like it was altered to fit a 90lbs anorexic. I had pulls and folds in places that just did not make sense.

After all that the manager wouldn't refund the money. gave me a the run around telling me it was not his call and he has to get in touch with his supervisor. I am furious. The manager continuously lied to me for two weeks about how they will be able to fix it. The other sales guys were too scared to say anything about the suite. The sales girl that sold the suite to me was fired two days after.

Anyhow, I am wanted to put the word out there about Tip Top Tailors at Scarborough Town Center. Total scam artists and even though they are in the wrong they will never admit. Your better off buying from another company.

It has been two weeks since this has happened and I am still waiting to hear about my refund. What kind of a business is this???

I have already filed a complained through their site but no answer as yet. I have searched the site but cannot find the district managers or any corporate number to contact. If anyone reading this has any info regarding the corporate contact info please share....it would be appreciated.

Thanks

ireactions

Reaction score
Most of my clothes are Tip Top Tailors. I prefer a classic look. Tip Top's Bellissimo and Daniel Hechter shirts fit my budget and their shirt sizes with my neck and arm length were more generous in the stomach area than other brands (where I'm wider than most men). The same brands of trousers also suit my hips and thighs best. I find their suits comfortable and they look good after some tailoring.

But it's a very conservative, reserved look. And these aren't top quality items: the jackets are fused, wool-polyester blends as are the trousers. Neither the fusing nor the material can survive regular dry cleaning. I've had two poly-cotton Bellissimo shirts fall apart in my washing machine. I use a garment steamer, a brush and fabric refresher spray to clean my Tip Top clothes and only launder or dry clean if the clothing gets soaked and soiled.

Tip Top's in-store tailoring is bad. I bought a long coat and needed the sleeves shortened; the in-store tailor folded the sleeves in and sewed them down rather than do a proper cut. I wanted trousers hemmed with no-break and a diagonal cut; the salesman doing measurements and pinning continued to give me a straight hem with a full break. The salespeople often lack training to take measurements to pass on to their part-time tailor.

Tip Top is good if you (a) are on a budget and (b) have a conservative look (c) can clean the items gently and (d) have another tailor to do alterations.

Last edited:

VTR

Reaction score
Went to the Heartland Tip Top store and immediately regretted. Staff doesnt even know whats in stock and not. There are things kept just in front and the staff says "not in stock", and they top it up nicely with "attitude". One of the worst experience I had here. Never again stepping in. Very unprofessional. The staff they hired look like they have just landed from some 3rd world country and dont know how to explain things. THey dont seem interested to sell stuff to people. One staff guy even asks me " why did I come to Canada?" .. total crap place. Glad I didnt buy anything here.. Waste of time..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads