• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time to yourself when married or living with a SO

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

She's pissed that I'd rather do zero vacations a year.

I feel you. I used to love to travel, up until my late 20s. I literally spent every summer in graduate school and a summer in college travelling all over the place. There are European cities I know nearly as well as I know my home town (that is, I know the cheap places to eat, and the shopping). Just adding up all of the time now, I've spent in excess of 6 months in Paris and 3 months in Spain, much of it in Northern Spain.

But these days, I only voluntarily travel for business, and I stay in a either a corporate chain hotel with a decent gym or wherever is convenient to the event I am attending. Room service is important, because the last thing I want after a day working is having to figure out where to eat. We did have a pretty nice family vacation on Orcas Island, and the best part of that was getting to actually read a book on the porch, and watching the kids play on the beach.

For some reason, women seem obsessed with doing activities. I just wanna chill out and *not* do activities.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is truth for me. Mobile devices are wireless leashes. There's an old saying, "Nobody is more important than the person in front of you". When I'm on vacation, my wife and sometimes my kids are the only people in front of me. I will even leave the phone in the hotel room just to make sure it doesn't interrupt. Making memories is way more important than a freaking email, which in three days you'll forget you had. There's a whole lot of life to live outside work.

You have a wife and kids? I always pictured you as like an 18 year old kid... :confused:

I feel you. I used to love to travel, up until my late 20s. I literally spent every summer in graduate school and a summer in college travelling all over the place. There are European cities I know nearly as well as I know my home town (that is, I know the cheap places to eat, and the shopping). Just adding up all of the time now, I've spent in excess of 6 months in Paris and 3 months in Spain, much of it in Northern Spain.
But these days, I only voluntarily travel for business, and I stay in a either a corporate chain hotel with a decent gym or wherever is convenient to the event I am attending. Room service is important, because the last thing I want after a day working is having to figure out where to eat. We did have a pretty nice family vacation on Orcas Island, and the best part of that was getting to actually read a book on the porch, and watching the kids play on the beach.
For some reason, women seem obsessed with doing activities. I just wanna chill out and *not* do activities.

I hear this. My girlfriend is an explorer. Even on holidays when we are both off like this coming Monday she wants to have an excursion of some sort. I'd rather read books at the cafe. I think we are going to settle on going to the Cloisters Museum since we have always wanted to go, but t0o lazy to treck up to the Northern tip of Manhattan.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is interesting. My girlfriend who I've only been dating for about two months is all about traveling. She wants to go to all sorts of god damn places I really don't have a lot of interest in going, like safaris in Africa and stuff. I am more of a beach and relaxation guy myself. That said, I am open to trying these things as long as we can get into some sort of rotation where we can alternate who gets to pick what types of trips we'd go on.
Still don't get wtf women place so much emphasis on traveling the world. Reminds me of another thread recently about women on online dating who mention travel so much on their profiles.

It really is a thing though. I don't understand it. Also my girlfriend rather go to 3rd world countries and such. I think it stems from her social anxiety. I think she doesn't feel like she has to fit in, or look cool, or have any of those pressures that her job, or New York circles put on you. I think she finds it freeing.

Many other girls are either Facebook whores, or hedonists! ;)

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It really is a thing though. I don't understand it. Also my girlfriend rather go to 3rd world countries and such. I think it stems from her social anxiety. I think she doesn't feel like she has to fit in, or look cool, or have any of those pressures that her job, or New York circles put on you. I think she finds it freeing.
Many other girls are either Facebook whores, or hedonists! ;)

I pretty much told my girlfriend that I'd rather not go on any vacation where I could potentially be killed -- whether it be by some wild animal or some dangerous natives in a third world country. ANything else I'd at least entertain the idea of.

My idea of a perfect vacation is sitting on a beach with clear oceans, ice cold alcoholic beverage in hand, getting a sun tan and eating lots of awesome food.:satisfied:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as I hate traveling, I would rather suck it up and go with her. Who know what type of muscled African she'll run into? I don't need that in my life....

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I pretty much told my girlfriend that I'd rather not go on any vacation where I could potentially be killed -- whether it be by some wild animal or some dangerous natives in a third world country. ANything else I'd at least entertain the idea of.
My idea of a perfect vacation is sitting on a beach with clear oceans, ice cold alcoholic beverage in hand, getting a sun tan and eating lots of awesome food.:satisfied:

So, essentially, a Corona commercial.

Satorialist

Reaction score

I feel like I have to be active in conversation with her, or actively paying attention to her and such.

When dating there's always a reprieve either at the end of the evening or the next morning/afternoon where we part ways for a few hours--either heading to our respective homes or elsewhere. This alone time allows me to decompress and reenergize, and prepare mentally for our next block of time together. But once you've moved in this reprieve is gone. And it creates a certain anxiety....a self-consciousness to not letting myself retreat into my own mind (as i'm normally used to doing, and is my natural state) because I feel I should be constantly engaging this other person, who I don't want to bore.

It is an adjustment.

People born into large family's are less prone to suffer this since they're used to being around other people 24/7--they don't find the constant engagement fatiguing.

Last edited:

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having time apart is healthy. Even if you're in the same room, you can be doing separate things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads