• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie rules...

B|aze

Reaction score
Is there some rules of thumb when it comes to ties and mathing with clothes?
Meaning, what should the tie match? The shirt or the suit?
example 1: say your wearing af light gray suit with a light purple solid shirt..what should the tie match?
example 2: You wearing a black og dark gray suit with a pinned striped white shirt..can I then almost wear any color tie I want?

What about stribed shirts? should the only be mixed with solid ties? and the other way around?

Can you please provide me with some pointers?

darchmaul

Reaction score
Not to get overly detailed, I'll just post what I would wear in those scenarios.
gray suit w/ purple shirt = any navy ground tie or dark purple ground tie. If going with grey tie, I'd opt for a darker grey.

dark suit with a white shirt = I'd go for maroons, grey/silvers, etc. just no whites . . . ever

with striped shirts, have fun. try matching with plaid ties, checks or other types of fancys. don't be constricted to solid ties just because you're wearing a striped shirt

here are my only tie "rules"
1. tie has to be darker than the shirt
2. tie should only be tied as a four in hand knot
3. tie should hit just at the top of the belt buckle
4. tie back blade should be equal to or longer than front blade

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couple that come to mind:

Dont buy a width because of fashion, match your body style. If you are tipping 350 pounds and wear a 3" tie you are going to look weird.

While it can work in some situations, avoid striped shirts and striped ties. The only exception is when the stripe widths or other considerations dont match at all.

Wool in the fall / winter, linen or cotton in the spring summer, silk all year round.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The tie should rarely match. More often it should complement, in the way that black complements gray and maroon complements pink.

One occasion for matching is when a secondary color in the tie will pick up a color in the shirt or a secondary color in the suit. So navy suit with gray stripes might be worn with a silver tie with a gray pattern, for example.

Finally, when it comes to suits and neckties one will rarely go wrong following the rule "Wear blue with gray and gray with blue."

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darchmaul
Not to get overly detailed, I'll just post what I would wear in those scenarios.
gray suit w/ purple shirt = any navy ground tie or dark purple ground tie. If going with grey tie, I'd opt for a darker grey.

dark suit with a white shirt = I'd go for maroons, grey/silvers, etc. just no whites . . . ever

with striped shirts, have fun. try matching with plaid ties, checks or other types of fancys. don't be constricted to solid ties just because you're wearing a striped shirt

here are my only tie "rules"
1. tie has to be darker than the shirt
2. tie should only be tied as a four in hand knot
3. tie should hit just at the top of the belt buckle
4. tie back blade should be equal to or longer than front blade

Thanks
smile.gif

But what if you wear a dark blue shirt..shouldn't the tie color be lighter than the shirt then?

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Finally, when it comes to suits and neckties one will rarely go wrong following the rule "Wear blue with gray and gray with blue."

I used to do this for a while, and I don't know what the catalyst was, but I have come to dislike these combinations. I would much rather wear a navy tie with a navy suit, and a gray tie with a gray suit.

B|aze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
shouldnt wear a dark blue shirt if you can afford not to ... especially with a lighter tie.

Could one say that in generally one shouldn't wear dark shirts? Meaning that the suit should be darker than the shirt?

B|aze

Reaction score
Would this work or is the tie to light?
r361983e733c.jpg

r3619853c316.jpg

(Same combination, different lighting)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good advice and courtesy of http://www.drakes-london.com 1. There are really only two knots worth considering: the four-in-hand and half-Windsor; and only the four-in-hand for knit ties. Other knots are novelties. 2. The self-loop at the back of the large blade, sometimes called a “keeper” but often merely the makers label, needn’t actually be used in fact to hold the smaller blade, better not to, for a freer, more stylish note. 3. The blade ends should ideally reach the top of the trouser waistband and should match up in length. Not as easy as it looks to the uninitiated. 4. A small dimple at the base of the knot shows a certain je ne sais quoi of finesse. 5. With tie bars, as with mens’ jewellery generally, anything other than tasteful discretion can be hazardous, and probably should be avoided. 6. A tie should always be untied carefully after wearing. As Miss Adelaide says in Guys and Dolls, “We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob.” 7. Fabric ties (silk, wool, cashmere, cotton) should be rolled after wearing and then hung; knit ties should be rolled and never hung. 8. A four-in-hand or half-Windsor knot should just fill the tie space at the collar button and be taut enough to arch out from the collar a bit; the mid-section of the tie should be completely hidden under the collar at the back. 9. Bow ties should never look perfectly tied. Ceaseless practice usually suffices to produce the precise look of subtle imperfection. 10. The proper length for a bow tie is achieved when the ends sit within the edges of the collar. This necessitates buying bow ties with sized graduated bands or with an adjustable slider. Occasionally these rules are a bit difficult to follow with a standard length and width tie. Then you might consider a bespoke version.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cleav
1. There are really only two knots worth considering: the four-in-hand and half-Windsor; and only the four-in-hand for knit ties. Other knots are novelties.

World class BS

2. The self-loop at the back of the large blade, sometimes called a "keeper" but often merely the makers label, needn't actually be used in fact to hold the smaller blade, better not to, for a freer, more stylish note.

Sensible

3. The blade ends should ideally reach the top of the trouser waistband and should match up in length. Not as easy as it looks to the uninitiated.

True dat, true dat

4. A small dimple at the base of the knot shows a certain je ne sais quoi of finesse.

Je ne sais quoi bla bla bla, looks good

6. A tie should always be untied carefully after wearing. As Miss Adelaide says in Guys and Dolls, "We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob."

If you are a lazy pig slob, just undoing it is a big step up in social status

7. Fabric ties (silk, wool, cashmere, cotton) should be rolled after wearing and then hung; knit ties should be rolled and never hung.

All my ties are rolled, yours should be too

8. A four-in-hand or half-Windsor knot should just fill the tie space at the collar button and be taut enough to arch out from the collar a bit; the mid-section of the tie should be completely hidden under the collar at the back.

Make sure you have 40 extra minutes to do this

Sir James

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Couple that come to mind:

Dont buy a width because of fashion, match your body style. If you are tipping 350 pounds and wear a 3" tie you are going to look weird.

While it can work in some situations, avoid striped shirts and striped ties. The only exception is when the stripe widths or other considerations dont match at all.

Wool in the fall / winter, linen or cotton in the spring summer, silk all year round.

That picture is disturbing!

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B|aze
Is there some rules of thumb when it comes to ties and mathing with clothes? Meaning, what should the tie match? The shirt or the suit? example 1: say your wearing af light gray suit with a light purple solid shirt..what should the tie match? example 2: You wearing a black og dark gray suit with a pinned striped white shirt..can I then almost wear any color tie I want? What about stribed shirts? should the only be mixed with solid ties? and the other way around? Can you please provide me with some pointers?
Some visual Pointers here:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics