• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Bars

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAC calls them a "fashion mistake". The Chap says they are an indispensable part of a gentleman's attire, provided they are at the correct height.

Who's right?

TyskJohan

Reaction score
I think they're a big no-no.

If flying tie ends trouble you, try a vest, a Tie-Perfect or a tie pin (which can be quite dashing in some settings).

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please, excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between a tie bar and a tie pin? And what is a Tie-Perfect?
By the way, what is wrong about the flying ends of the ties? (Except that it may look tacky if the front part of the narrower end features a supposedly expensive brand name such as Hermes or Ferragamo; personally, I do not care, I have already made sure to give a tacky impression by leaving the last button on the jacket sleeves unbuttoned and/or by having visible initials on the chest or cuff of the shirt).

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Tie pin:
qh304.jpg

Tie tack:
qh200.jpg

Tie-perfect:
See http://www.tieperfect.com/

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But these things look horrible!
Is the tie pin supposed to traverse your tie?
How do you use a tie tack?
The tie-perfect looks a bit depressing to me. Suggests rigidity IMO, although I guess that can be helpful if you are one of those that tend to drop the tie into the soup. However, personally I do not like it, actually, I think that it is a bit contrary to sprezzatura, for example.

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
But these things look horrible!
I quite agree. Less horrible than a bar, though!

Originally Posted by epa
Is the tie pin supposed to traverse your tie?
Yep. Better get a knitted tie, then :) or always tie it exactly the same so that the hole is always in the same place.
Originally Posted by epa
How do you use a tie tack?
Pin through tie, drumstick in a button hole.

Originally Posted by epa
The tie-perfect looks a bit depressing to me. Suggests rigidity IMO, although I guess that can be helpful if you are one of those that tend to drop the tie into the soup. However, personally I do not like it, actually, I think that it is a bit contrary to sprezzatura, for example.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie bars can be trouble if you wear relatively wide ties because most wont reach far enough across the tie to stay in place.

They look better angled down and I cannot tell you how many women have assumed it was wrong and reached out to readjust them straight without asking. I wonder what Freud would say about that.

I used to wear them a lot, now ive stopped because theyre more trouble than theyre worth. Sometimes you want your tie to move around a bit. To make them fit snugly acorss both the tie and the shirt placket you may find that the pile of the tie's fabric gets crushed in a manner which is not easily removed, even with a steamer.

The reaction is that they are horribly outdated. I dont even know what the image is of them because I always wore them for a sense of control and neatness and can no longer recall personally what the reaction is. However, it's fair to say that unless your tie bar is both unique and handsome it will give off a negative reaction to some extent.

Tie pins are nice, they rarely leave permanent holes. I would wear one with a personal crest on it which would again, potentially in the USA, cause over curiosity and maybe the wrong sort of reaction.

Too expensive is a no-no and too cheap is a no-no. If it's a novelty I would recommend that it be expensively made.

I have a tie bar with a stop sign symbol on it and one with my zodiac sign on a small sphere and hand painted in a green background with a silver symbol. These register well with people because theyre so different and because I can make a little joke out of it. I also have a nice one with a salmon on it for wear with a sports coat. That also presents a joke or two. But tie bars

Tie pins are too much fuss for me, I dont like having to figure out where to place the pin to allow me enough length of tie not to have to walk around bent over. That is why I prefer a stick pin which is easier to place. I rarely wear these either but i have experimented. I generally prefer putting them in the lapel which is also rare. But I do have two stick pins which I feel work in very linited circumstances.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
TIEALIGN is a great tie restraint if you want to keep your tie in place without a visible restraint or a pin that will damage your shirt or tie.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find tie bars to be way too dandyish or pimpish to wear in just about any setting. But, they do look good on old guys for some reason.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yikes!
frown.gif
These plastic things are not only depressing, they're the antithesis of class or elegance.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
yikes!
frown.gif
These plastic things are not only depressing, they're the antithesis of class or elegance.

I agree, thats why they are clear so they can't be seen from any angle while wearing them. Its designed purely for function. We will be releasing a fabric covered version in the near future for those that don't like the exposed polyproplyene version. I feel the exposed polyproplyene is the better design as it can't be seen and wont show up against different fabrics but it has been requested enough times I going to make them.

jackmccullough

Reaction score
I wear a tie clasp most of the time. When I was a kid I had several, now the only one I have is one I got from my wife. I like it because it keeps my tie in place. I don't usually wear it when I'm wearing a vest or sleeveless sweater.

By the way, I don't like the idea of wearing it slanted. It seems affected.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time Ive ever worn a tie bar it was a paperclip. I was at a celebration thrown by the Royal Norwegian Conusulate commemorating Norway's independance day. The paperclip carries a proud connotation to the Norwegian nation, rooted in the experience of Nazi occupation during WWII:

Originally Posted by wikipedia: Norwegian Resistance Movement
A symbol of the Norwegian resistance was wearing a paper clip on a lapel; an innocuous item, the paper clip was assumed to be a Norwegian invention, and represented uniting against the occupation.

I got innumerable compliments on it, but I can't imagine it'd have legs outside of this specific context.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
The only time Ive ever worn a tie bar it was a paperclip. I was at a celebration thrown by the Royal Norwegian Conusulate commemorating Norway's independance day. The paperclip carries a proud connotation to the Norwegian nation, rooted in the experience of Nazi occupation during WWII:

I got innumerable compliments on it, but I can't imagine it'd have legs outside of this specific context.

Until I read this I thought the tie bar was uniquely American!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads