• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ticket Pockets

Urbane Legend

Reaction score
I am looking for a Chesterfield overcoat with a ticket pocket.

I have seen coats where the ticket pocket is matched to the front of the lower pocket and another where it is directly in the middle.
They always seem to be on the right side

Is there a proper way the ticket pocket should be placed?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least the majority are matched to the front of the lower pocket.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Slightly forward (a hair) of the lower pocket is traditional. If you line them up exactly, the ticket pocket will appear too far back, and/or the coat to be slightly imbalanced toward the back. It's a strange optical illusion, but I notice it every time.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Slightly forward (a hair) of the lower pocket is traditional. If you line them up exactly, the ticket pocket will appear too far back, and/or the coat to be slightly imbalanced toward the back. It's a strange optical illusion, but I notice it every time.
Thanks - I've never noticed that before, but a closer look at my own clothes confirmed this. Another question: Is this particular shape of pocket flap common, and does it have a name? I've never seen it before I thrifted this hacking jacket. (Magee, lightweight Donegal tweed):
DSC00895.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Another question: Is this particular shape of pocket flap common, and does it have a name?
Looks to me like a typical hacking pocket shape with an unusally dramatically rounded front. Some rounding is common on pocket flaps for all SB coats. The idea is that the front corners of the pocket flaps should reflect the quarters of the coat: hence rounded on SB and square on DB. That is more rounding than I am used to seeing; perhaps it is a bit of whimsey on the part of the cutter/designer. If it has a name, I have not come across it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads