• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three dimensional fullness in the chest?

claybertrand

Reaction score
At a tailor shop in Bangkok, the salesman showed me the difference between one of their MTM and bespoke suits by showing how the chest area of the bespoke had much more dimension and looked fuller than MTM. Is this a typical difference between MTM and bespoke? Is this type of fullness only achieved in true bespoke tailoring? Also this tailor specializes in Italian cuts, is this three dimensionality in the chest a hallmark of that cut or is that not particular to them? The blue blazer is the MTM and the grey sport jacket is the bespoke.

I like this three dimensionality a lot and would love to know more about this type of tailoring, so any information about what this is would be great. And if there are other top bespoke tailors that have this as a part of their house cut. Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_7249_Original.jpeg
    IMG_7249_Original.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7246_Original.jpeg
    IMG_7246_Original.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7247_Original.jpeg
    IMG_7247_Original.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_7248_Original.jpeg
    IMG_7248_Original.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 162

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The drape of the gray jacket is quite nice. I know nothing about this topic but my curiosity is piqued... following.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is often called a “swelled” chest and if you search on StyleForum you will find threads on this. IMO it does not require true bespoke. My understanding is that in
it’s nothing more than some more room in the chest plus a construction (canvas, etc) that will hold that convex shape. Steed for example will do this in their MTM jackets, I believe.

claybertrand

Reaction score
This is often called a “swelled” chest and if you search on StyleForum you will find threads on this. IMO it does not require true bespoke. My understanding is that in
it’s nothing more than some more room in the chest plus a construction (canvas, etc) that will hold that convex shape. Steed for example will do this in their MTM jackets, I believe.
This is so helpful, thank you so much!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More drape in the chest is typically associated with classic British tailoring; a closer chest is a more Italian look. These are generalities as you can find bespoke tailors in London who don’t do much drape and ones in Naples who do. It’s a matter of preference and not an indication of quality in itself.

claybertrand

Reaction score
More drape in the chest is typically associated with classic British tailoring; a closer chest is a more Italian look. These are generalities as you can find bespoke tailors in London who don’t do much drape and ones in Naples who do. It’s a matter of preference and not an indication of quality in itself.
Ah I understand so much better now thank you. It is a look that I like quite a lot but it's good to know that I don't need to get a fully bespoke jacket to get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads