• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this outfit?

BruceWayne

Reaction score
Hi. I would like to know your thoughts on the following outfit (fit, matching, etc.) Thanks.

DSC00209.jpg

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt is an awful color, that's what sticks out the most. Otherwise, it looks uninspired. If you're going to do the California Tux TM configuration, then it really needs to be sharp.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changing your shirt and trousers would improve this from 2/10 to 6/10.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie knot is too small, and I have to agree about the shirt colour. Jacket sleeves also need to be a bit shorter as you're not showing any cuff.

goodlife

Reaction score
Alternately, the blazer/tie combo or ther pants/shirt could work work together. Either substitute a white or lt. blue solid or semi-solid shirt and grey flannels, or a bold pattern tweed and a richly colred or textured tie.

In general you could do better than that shirt, but it is not a lost cause on its own...unless you can't manage to get some sleeve visible, in which case wear it under knits instead of jackets.

Also, I assume you will launder/iron those chinos before going out in public

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodlife

Also, I assume you will launder/iron those chinos before going out in public

+1.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think a light blue barrel cuff is going to improve the look alot.

Beyond that, tailoring the waist on the jacket would be great, and throw in a pocket square.

while you're throwing things, throw that tie in the trash bin, and find something a darker shade of blue with a light color pattern (pin dot, rep stripe)

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket too long, needs waist suppression, sleeves look fine.

Shirt...color is atrocious, looks like too much tie gap, sleeves too short. I think a nice large check shirt would add some pop.

The tie is quite bland...sloppy knot.

The trousers likewise are bland. Not crisp, don't seem to fit well. Go for something like a lighter gray wool.

J Darnielle

Reaction score
The thing that really sticks out is the shirt. Get a plain white or light blue buttondown. The tie might be acceptable, but boring nonetheless. Add a pocket square, probably a yellow/light blue paisley or something, it would really liven up the outfit.

If you have time/funds, get the jacket altered. It needs to be taken in on the sides and sleeves shortened. I'm not a huge fan of the pants but they'll do. Shoes?

BruceWayne

Reaction score
A concern of mine is if regular length jackets (such as the one pictured) make my leg line look short. I think they do a little bit . However I won't go to short instead of regular because 1) I have slightly long arms in proportion to my body and 2) a short in the same size looks too short/perfect to me in all other areas beside my legs (even though I have a shortish torso and long legs at a height of 5'8'' so I'm confused by this. Based on my proportions wouldn't the opposite effect occur?). To sum up, a short instead of a regular on me creates a pseudo-Tom Browne effect I guess. Do you guys think my jacket is too long? Based on the above info, if yes, what should I do (other than bespoke or MTM)? Like I said I consider this a very minor issue.

Also, are my jacket sleeves the right length currently to show shirt cuff with the proper shirt sleeve length?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote to lose the shirt...that kind of blaringly bad color combo is the kind of theing that the average person would pick up on as being a lousy look. As far as the fit, it is not top-notch, but only a real fashion maven will pick up on it.

And if you are only 5'8" you should be able to tie a Half Windsor.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohneAllene