• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on JcPenney's line of casual L/S Shirts

parc

Reaction score
I have been perusing various stores as to what my options were to wear next year at school. I've been unable to find a job and even though I would really like a few articles from places like J.Crew, I won't have the funds to make-up a new wardrobe ( I'm switching from t-shirts and sports-wear ). So I've been looking at what places more in my price range have to offer, like JcPenney.
I haven't shopped in JcPenney for years now and back when I did I always remember people looking down on others who wore products from there. Personally I don't care what people think of where I buy my stuff but I'm more interested in knowing how good their long-sleeve shirts are. I own two Oxford American Living shirts my mom bought for me and the quality (taking experience from other Oxfords I've felt in various stores).

If you didn't feel like reading that the question I have is:
Are the Long-sleeve casual shirts sold at JcPenney worth buying (a.k.a is their construction as good as J.Crew shirts) or should I save my money and buy one J.Crew - I could buy 3 shirts at JcPenney for roughly the same price - and just slowly increase my wardrobe over time?

dkoernert

Reaction score
My problem with their line is finding shirts that fit. I don't know what your build is like, but they can be a decent value if they fit you. Most are pretty tent-like, even the "fitted" or slim-fit shirts are pretty large in my experience.

parc

Reaction score
I have that problem as well. Even though I have a athletic build the size small American Living shirts I own are loose on me - not terribly big, but not as form fitting as I would like.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkoernert
My problem with their line is finding shirts that fit. I don't know what your build is like, but they can be a decent value if they fit you. Most are pretty tent-like, even the "fitted" or slim-fit shirts are pretty large in my experience.
I too have a hard time finding shirts there that fit (atleast by SF standards), which is strange because you would think it would actually be MORE economical to produce shirts with LESS excess fabric and ballooning. But that would drive sales down, I suppose. To make a long story short, if you really like a particular pattern or style, I'd suggest bringing the shirt to a tailor. That would still probably run you way less than many options advocated here.

habanos

Reaction score
The long sleeve pinpoint shirts are pretty good. I wear them out and buy some more. A decent product for the money.

parc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I've had a few dress & uniforms tailored before but never thought about having it done on my casual wear, so I'll start implementing that.

Also I want to build my wardrobe with clothing that will last. I'm not looking to retire articles after a school year, but want to be able to wear them year after year (are the JcPenney shirts that durable)?

dkoernert

Reaction score
Some of mine have worn very quickly, and others have been okay. In my experience it really seems to be hit and miss. You probably will want to spend a little more if you want new shirts that will really last.

This is why I buy shirts at thrift/consignment now. That way if the shirt wears out, I can get rid of it knowing I only paid around 6 bucks for it. Take a look at the thrift store/discount bragging thread. Sometimes you can find some really great stuff that will last quite some time.

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by parc
Also I want to build my wardrobe with clothing that will last. I'm not looking to retire articles after a school year, but want to be able to wear them year after year (are the JcPenney shirts that durable)?
They ought to keep fine as long as you handle them properly. If you treat them like junk you will notice they fall apart much faster (self-fulfilling prophecy I suppose)

JGloger

Reaction score
They're not bad for the price. As many others have said, they could do with a bit of tailoring, but that's true of most shirts under a certain price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads