• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you SHOULD or shouldn't spend extra money on

rafaellove

Reaction score
SHOULD:

1) Shoes, shoes, shoes! You can notice the difference between good and bad shoes from a mile away. Plus, you want to spend well on something that has been carefully designed to the contour of your feet, to the pressure points your feet exert, which ultimately affects your spine, your body, and your mind. Many reasons can be given as to why shoes are the most important item a man should spend money on. Think about the interaction between your body and the world. Nothing grinds the concrete more than your shoes. Good shoemakers study human anatomy (think Ferragamo) when designing their shoes. I also tend to think of shoes as a work of art you wear often (as opposed to hanging it on your wall). Cheap shoes must be replaced often, good shoes, if well taken care of and resoled, will last a lifetime (hence carryinng behind it history; when you're an old man with Alzheimer, all you'll have to do is look at your shoes and - Eureka! - a millions past stories will pop into your mind, ready for you to tell your grandchildren). I really could go on on why I am always willing to spend $400+ for good quality shoes (although, I must say, the $400+ is the price I pay after a serious discount is taken - on average c. 50%).

2) Haircut - On the other extremity of your body, there lies the hair. I have gone to plenty of ****** hair shops, and some wonderful ones. The key is to find someone who will give you a cut which will still look really good after 3-4 weeks. I get compliments all the time on my hair. Think of a Gaussian distribution on this one, however. I have heard of people spending $200 on a cut. Sure, why not if it won't hurt your pocket. But if you can find a kick-the-llama's-ass cutter for $60, then you're set!

3) Accessories - In the spirit of finding Waldo, people's eyes are drawn to the smallest of details. Why not give them (and yourself) something to smile about?

SHOULD NOT:

Nothing

RULES OF THUMB:

1) A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Anything which looks cheap will degrade the flow of beauty and quality. This is an outsider's perspective. To oneself, anything of lower comparable quality (to the rest) will make you feel like you've cheated yourself a bit.

2) Of course everyone differs financially. Regardless of this reality, however, one should pay more attention to the quality of the pieces bought as opposed to the quantity. I would much rather sport a murse (aka a man bag) that is of super quality on a daily basis than own 10 which are all different, but made of nylon and looking like a cheap bar maid. Would you rather be known for sleeping daily with just Adriana Lima or with 10 ***** Betties? Sometimes you want to be remembered for being a master of one trade as opposed to a handyman whose just-fixed toilet will break again in a few months (think shoes).

3) Build a wardrobe around items that will always be in style. Think Theory, for example, and not Thom Browne's new suit look (yuck!). Think navy gold-button blazer, not a wrinkled one (another yuck!).

4) Never cheap out on leather!

5) Buy first and foremost in order to satisfy yourself. This is true even with underwear. Just because someone can't see what you're wearing, it is not implied that you should not be comfortable. Like shoes, uncomfortable underwear will make a man grouchy! In terms of looks, even things not seen by many should be well thought out. Think of the scenario where your ugly face somehow got lucky to land the good-looking bar maid in your bedroom. The last thing she sees before you play peek-a-boo is what? Your underwear! That's right my friend, a black Calvin Klein 365 boxer brief will make her get to the O faster than her having to spend time concentrating on that O and not on your skidmarked whity-tidy (sp?).

6) Think of apparel as art you embrace your temple (i.e., body) with. In light of thinking of yourself as a god (even you, ***** Matty), why would you offer a demented skinny goat as offering? Please the god, and all will be well.

7) Always buy good lube
smile.gif
!!!

rafaellove

Reaction score
Looking at a Gaussian distribution, Theory works quite well as far as price/quality ratio is concerned. Plus, they tend to stay focussed on permanent fashion (90% of the time) as opposed to trendy. Of course, if money was no issue, I'd look more into other makers such as RLPL, Kiton, etc. But, for a 27-year old, Theory works quite well. Maybe I'll mature out of it into a better world, but for now, it fits well as a forecast set of parameters. Finally, Theory can be had for c. 70% off if you know how to shop the sales.

SVS

Reaction score
IMO, money should be spent on tailoring. A good fit is far more important than anything else. I'd love to have a good tailor again ...

I cheap out on wallets. I pick them up for $20 or $30 at the mall and pitch them when they start to wear out. They work well and just sit in my pocket.

I also don't overspend on brief cases anymore. I buy sturdy and appropriate for what I'm carrying. I use my cases to move stuff (laptop, notes, files, chargers, pens, cell phone, etc). The cases are not things I intend to take care of. Quality leather doesn't mean much when I'm forcing it under an airplane seat.

Lately, I'm come around to the idea of quality shoes. They are just too important and replacing a pair of $80 shoes every 6 months isn't less expensive.

I also feel a good watch is worth the money. Without getting into a horological discussion of "good", there is probably no single piece of attire I personally enjoy more than my watch. Clearly a watch is not required (in the same way a shoes or suits are) so I don't recommend anyone stretch their budget for one.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why cheap out on any aspect of it.

there isnt a whole lot of price different between pants you buy at kohls and Incotex.....when you buy them at Daffys.

Buy the good stuff, just work to find a price that works for you.

You can snag RLPL shirts from the outlets or ebay for $90......or you can buy a shirt from express for $50

$35 for a perry ellis tie....or $40 for a PRL marked down from $115

I dont spend much more then i used to, but i buy much much nicer stuff, and yes, you can tell the difference.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should:

Shoes
Tailoring
Suit
Cashmere sweaters
One wool winter coat
Scarves (if you're into those)
One pair of leather/cashmere gloves
Leather or Canvas Bag

Should not:

Shirts- I got 10 "Polo" shirts for $3 apiece when I was in China a few years ago that are holding up fine. As for dress shirts, just get cheaper ones and get them tailored; it won't be more than $60.
Non-cashmere sweaters
Belts
Ties
Cufflinks
Watch

What I'm on the fence about:

Socks- I like Nagranis and Pantherellas, what can I say?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rafaellove
SHOULD:

1) Shoes, shoes, shoes! You can notice the difference between good and bad shoes from a mile away. Plus, you want to spend well on something that has been carefully designed to the contour of your feet, to the pressure points your feet exert, which ultimately affects your spine, your body, and your mind. Many reasons can be given as to why shoes are the most important item a man should spend money on. Think about the interaction between your body and the world. Nothing grinds the concrete more than your shoes. Good shoemakers study human anatomy (think Ferragamo) when designing their shoes. I also tend to think of shoes as a work of art you wear often (as opposed to hanging it on your wall). Cheap shoes must be replaced often, good shoes, if well taken care of and resoled, will last a lifetime (hence carryinng behind it history; when you're an old man with Alzheimer, all you'll have to do is look at your shoes and - Eureka! - a millions past stories will pop into your mind, ready for you to tell your grandchildren). I really could go on on why I am always willing to spend $400+ for good quality shoes (although, I must say, the $400+ is the price I pay after a serious discount is taken - on average c. 50%).

The problem is shoes that are very good quality tend to be a little on the stodgy side. It's hard to find good quality shoes that will last and be a little "fashion-forward" at the same time.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rafaellove
Looking at a Gaussian distribution, Theory works quite well as far as price/quality ratio is concerned.

Methinks this sentence would be stronger without the goofy call to a probability distribution function.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
Things worth paying extra for:

Haircut
Suits
Shirts
Shoes

Things not worth worth selling my kidneys for:

Accessories

Although when I'm rich I don't think I'm gonna care that much anymore. $750 cufflinks, sure, why not? If it looks good to me and I can afford it without burning a hole in my pocket, I'll buy it.

Haircut is the one thing I will not pay extra for. For years I got a Salon Haircut for $40-$50, with mixed result. One day I say "screw this" and try an old school barber for $13. Best haircut ever. Then I saw the light. The gal in the salon does maybe 10 mens hair cuts a week. The barber does 30 in a day. Of course it has to be the right barber. My guy is on old greek guy who has been cutting hair for 50 years, since I moved he now about 45minutes away, but I still make the trip to see him.

StolenCar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Haircut is the one thing I will not pay extra for. For years I got a Salon Haircut for $40-$50, with mixed result. One day I say "screw this" and try an old school barber for $13. Best haircut ever. Then I saw the light. The gal in the salon does maybe 10 mens hair cuts a week. The barber does 30 in a day. Of course it has to be the right barber. My guy is on old greek guy who has been cutting hair for 50 years, since I moved he now about 45minutes away, but I still make the trip to see him.

I came to the exact same conclusion, but it's still hit or miss. My regular barber signed up for a six month hair-cutting gig with the army in Afghanistan and the replacement butchered my curls. But I've had bad $45 haircuts, too.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood

I don't think I've ever paid more than $20 for a haircut. Then again, I feel like I have very easy to deal with hair and generally have it at a fairly short length. I currently go to a place 2 blocks from my apartment that charges $14 for a men's cut. I go to the young guy there and he really understands what I want and need. Sometimes he'll give a simple suggestion and he always checks to make sure that I like the work he's doing. Can't beat that with a flaming salon stick!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not long after I joined the forum, I had a defining experience. I was debating aloud whether or not to buy a sports coat because I liked the look of the fabric, but it felt a little coarse. A friend told me "The look is for others, but the feel is for you". I thought about her comment and decided that instead of arbitrarily deciding that I would pay a premium for shirts but not suits, or perhaps the reverse, that I would pay a premium for fit and comfort. So now I'm willing to spend "extra money" to feel good, assuming of course that the item also looks good. For ties, or other accessories whose primary impact is visual, I make an occasional exception and will pay a little more for something I find truly striking. It's all about how I feel wearing an item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads