• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Zam Barrett Thread

ambivalence

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a pair of bottoms. but cant decide the dna jeans or the dna pants. any reco?

Last edited:

fireflygrave

Reaction score
I have no experience with the coated ones, but my DNA jeans don't really have the feel of denim, but they have the thickness. They feel durable but also extremely comfortable, but the feel is definitely not like most denim.

edit: this a positive for me if that wasn't clear :)

Last edited:

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a pair of bottoms. but cant decide the dna jeans or the dna pants. any reco?

this depends on what you want

if you are going for something dressier, then go for DNA pants, or Soft J's

if you want something to wear everyday as an alternative to jeans then you can go for DNA Jeans. the jeans are more "aggressive" than the pants, and the upper bock of the pants have a more tailored and cleaner look,

hope that helps you to decide

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the pair of Z-1's I own - looks like Zam doesn't carry them anymore. Are the Soft J's an equivalent cut?

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I love the pair of Z-1's I own - looks like Zam doesn't carry them anymore. Are the Soft J's an equivalent cut?

no

Soft J's are a completely different cut of pants, with the leg of the pants cut from three pieces of fabric and a slight J shape.

We have many different styles of pants, and as a small company it simply isnt possible to make all the styles available every season as we do not have the , so what we do i offer some styles some season and others another season. the Z1's will be back for Spring 2014, albeit with a few updates to make them new and more interesting

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi @Zamb
I got the pants today thanks. 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Fit: I am wearing them now and I can say we got the fit spot on!  My new ZB J-Jeans are more perfect fitting than anything I have owned in the past, which is exactly what I was hoping for and why it was worth it to have pants custom made for me. I will probably wear these black jeans more than any other piece of clothing I own and I wanted them to actually fit.

My legs are pretty big, I ride mountain bikes, skis and snowboards and as result have some overdeveloped legs. My thighs aren't enormous, about 23" near the crotch but real issue is around my knees... My thighs only taper to 20" near my knee and my calves at 16" are larger around than my knees. So, a slim straight cut is straight up skinny on me and there's lots of cuts I just can't get into ever. Usually the lower thigh is skintight and my calves get skintight again in anything but a relaxed fit. I have one "mainstream" slim cut jean that fits me, Levis' LMC Tack, plus I gave detailed measurements of my legs.

Fabric: This is a heavy duty organic cotton canvas with an impressive density and tight weave. The warp/weft yarns look slightly slubby and are very substantial.... perhaps not intended to be used for clothing but it should serve that purpose very nicely. It has a medium texture to it, the surface is fairly soft for the kind of fabric it is though, which  is nice. Weight is 14 oz, though the feel gives the impression of something even heavier. The garment weighs 2 lbs even, which is about 5 oz more than a pair of 13.5 oz raw indigo jeans I have.

Construction: Basic and heavy duty, which is what I wanted. I am going for a minimal look.. i.e. I did not specify overlock stitching, asym construction, or any coatings or treatments... and Zam did indeed label them as Minimalist J Jeans. The pocket fabric, fly lining and piping around the waistband are made of a beautiful medium blue fabric with textured stripes woven in the fabric's pattern... this was a nice touch! 

Overall quality of construction looks to be excellent... of course things need to be worn for years to really know but these look far better than average as far as I can tell. I have a hard time paying for a design that is not followed up by quality construction, for example Drkshdw jeans I have heard many times about how they fall apart, to me there is no pride of craftmanship there, it is not an honest transaction to give someone something that looks nice, costs a lot, but then doesn't measure up in terms of construction quality.

I have been down with the flu for the last week but will take some pics of the pants in the next few days or so with some close up details so you guys can get a better idea what they look like vs the ZB website. BTW, I have never had a flu before and it is HORRIBLE. I thought they were like a bad cold but that doesn't even begin to describe how bad it is. I may start getting flu shots, idk...

1. Zam's fabric and construction is great.
2. RO construction is really good as well, i assume there were some jeans that were of lesser quality but then again think about it RO has a really big production going and things slip. It sucks and its sad to see things slip. But, in my experience i have not had a single problem.

Gruntle

Reaction score
The tailored soft j pants in Grey. 13 oz heavy cotton. Hands down the best pair of pants I own. The fabric and construction is top notch and warrant the high price tag. My only complaint is the small leg opening. i'll be limited to the type of footwear I can wear with these pants. The top is double front overlocked raglan in black.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I have a pair waiting for me at home, can't wait to try it on next week.

dsmoove

Reaction score
How do you determine the appropriate inseam length on j-pants? I already know that they're meant to create a certain silhouette but how can you tell if it's the right size prior to purchasing?

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
All of this depends on how tall you are and the look you want in your pants

I know people who are like 5"10 and thinks a 35-36 inseam is too long as they want to limit the stacking on the pants

I am 5"8 and I wear all my pants we make at Zfactorie with the original length, so its entirely up to you, even though if you told me how tall you ar I might be able to advise you better

dsmoove

Reaction score
All of this depends on how tall you are and the look you want in your pants

I know people who are like 5"10 and thinks a 35-36 inseam is too long as they want to limit the stacking on the pants

I am 5"8 and I wear all my pants we make at Zfactorie with the original length, so its entirely up to you, even though if you told me how tall you ar I might be able to advise you better
Awesome to hear from you. I emailed you guys but got no response. I'm around 5'11 and I normally wear a 30 inseam on my pants if I want to achieve ankle length. 31 would sit on my shoes.

Magic1

Reaction score
I'm short and haven't hemmed my pants, no worries.

I have that double front raglan top with overlock stitch at the back, but in a different color. it's really great. slim but comfy and very flattering cut.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur