• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate penny loafers - does it exist?

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tricker's James loafers are a great example of a hefty loafer. I am not very much in loafers, but this model looks great, I have them also in black. My feet are beefy so short vamp or pointy loafers look horrible on my feet, similar to an overloaded suitcase.

In my bucket list Alden LHS in snuff suede and color 8 also Cobbler Union Henry in brown suede.

IMG_8498.JPG
IMG_8499.JPG
Trickers James 2.jpg
Trickers James 3.jpg

ClassicStyle1950

Reaction score
Cole Hahn (if you can find them) are the best, especially for the price.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you like the Aurland's you recently got from NMWA? I'm strongly considering a pair.

I'm really liking them! I was afraid that they're be redundant with lhs or some vintage pairs I have, but they're different imo. The leather is thick and unlined, which is super cool. The sole is comfortable, but also cut close to the upper.

I will say, size up if you're a half size or at all concerned. They're pretty tight, and while I'm sure they'll stretch, after about 5 wears, they're holding steady. Fwiw, I took a 44 for a 10.5. If I was 11, I'd probly consider the 45.

20210103_143254.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The highest and greatest version of a penny loafer is an abstraction, and so it exists, but not as a physical object. Thus any quest to find the perfect pair is doomed to failure.

Unless, of course, you prefer to wear your shoes abstractly.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The highest and greatest version of a penny loafer is an abstraction, and so it exists, but not as a physical object. Thus any quest to find the perfect pair is doomed to failure.

Unless, of course, you prefer to wear your shoes abstractly.

I only purchase Platonic forms myself. It suits my position as a philosophy professor.

Leocurrently

Reaction score
So, since it is soon to be spring where I am, here are my regular rotation loafers!

J&M Nielsen Bit Loafer (currently wearing today)
9B335DAA-2626-49EF-8C5A-6E881D1030F6.jpeg

These golden suede penny loafers from Aldo
352E66BD-14B3-44E9-9D78-34651FE8E17C.jpeg

Burgundy Bass Weejuns tassel loafers
AEDC6EC8-9389-4B7D-9309-CADD4B47D1DC.jpeg

My favorite ones which were made by Giorgino Brutini
133B7988-8A64-497D-A595-7D47E86F7E10.jpeg

I am planning on getting more loafers this summer as my job at J&M has a great selection!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics