• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6662.JPG
C&J Brown Marlow wingtips today.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FullSizeRender.jpg

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ball is rolling...
What's the quality, construction, comfort, etc. like among Grant Stone shoes/boots?? They look great, but how do they compare with Alden and AE? Are they of similar quality as the Ludlow series J Crew makes? I think they cost about the same (GS and J Crew's Ludlow series). Thanks!

Btw, this cognac PTB looks excellent!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about these boots:

https://us.skoaktiebolaget.com/collections/boots/products/enzo-bonafe-cordovan-balmoral-boot

Basically, I only buy boots with dainite soles. However, I have found that many cordovan boots tend to come with double leather soles. To me this is kind of contradictory since Cordovan is meant to be able to withstand foul weather conditions, while the double leather soles aren't. Anyways, as there don't seem to be any other boots on the market like this one (dark brown balmoral cordovan or non cordovan with a quarter brogue), can I eventually replace the double leather soles with a dainite sole? And I'm not talking about a single sole boot, I want some substance on the sole. Perhaps a storm welt included.

Is there any chance the person doing that work would mess it up.. that's my concern also. Or does enzo bonafe have their own service for something of this nature?

Thanks
I actually prefer the double leather sole to the dainite, but to each his own. Also, are you sure you want a storm welt on a balmoral boot?? Talk about contradictions; formal looking dress-boot and a very casual welt??

In any case, I believe you can find someone repuable to do those tasks; changing the sole for sure, not positive you can change a flat 270' welt to a storm welt.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer the double leather sole to the dainite, but to each his own. Also, are you sure you want a storm welt on a balmoral boot?? Talk about contradictions; formal looking dress-boot and a very casual welt??

In any case, I believe you can find someone repuable to do those tasks; changing the sole for sure, not positive you can change a flat 270' welt to a storm welt.

Not so hard to go from flat to reverse. The opposite is much more difficult.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the quality, construction, comfort, etc. like among Grant Stone shoes/boots?? They look great, but how do they compare with Alden and AE? Are they of similar quality as the Ludlow series J Crew makes? I think they cost about the same (GS and J Crew's Ludlow series). Thanks!

Btw, this cognac PTB looks excellent!
I own and have owned a few pairs of Alden and AE. My British Tan LWBs are the first pair from Grant Stone. For the price point it's an awesome shoe. The fit and finish was top notch. They also include dust bags, extra laces, and a cool mini shoe horn. The fit is very similar to the Alden Barrie last. It may be a tad bit more snug, but very comfortable. The customer service is stellar, and they are very helpful when it comes to figuring out your sizing. My pair actually feels better every outing, and I have to stop myself from grabbing them every time I go out... Lol! I'm not familiar with the J. Crew Ludlow, so I can't offer a comparison. If I compare my GS LWB to the Alden/J Crew tan LWB, the Alden may be a bit more refined (it is Alden), but not by much. At $200+ more, it should be. All this to say, it is a great pair of shoes... I will be owning more, as I am anxiously awaiting their shell cordovan offerings. Sorry for the long-winded response. Cheers!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes! How does the Marlow fit in comparison to the Alden Barrie last, or AE 5 last? Thanks for any insight.
The Marlow is a tweeter compared to the Barrie lasted lwb. I wear the two in the same size but wished I had gone a half size larger for the Marlow. It is sleeker and a bit more narrow. I would say the AE-5 last is a bit more snug that the 5 last.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Marlow is a tweeter compared to the Barrie lasted lwb. I wear the two in the same size but wished I had gone a half size larger for the Marlow. It is sleeker and a bit more narrow. I would say the AE-5 last is a bit more snug that the 5 last.
Thanks for the info! I'm 9.5D in the Barrie last, 10D in the AE #5 last. So a 10D (or UK equivalent) in the Marlow should work for me?

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'm 9.5D in the Barrie last, 10D in the AE #5 last. So a 10D (or UK equivalent) in the Marlow should work for me?
Yes, it should work well. I have a 10D that's been a bit too small. It doesn't have much wear at all. Might be pursuaded to sell them. PM me if interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads