• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The priciest college in America: worth it?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unsurprisingly, George Washington University is once again the most expensive college in the country.

The big question: is it worth the $50K+? I know it's a subjective question, but think of it as a costs/benefits analysis.

[sarcasm]The prestigious Washington City Paper[/sarcasm] has a decent writeup on all of this.

http://washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=2406

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Unsurprisingly, The George Washington University is once again the most expensive college in the country.

The big question: is it worth the $50K+? I know it's a subjective question, but think of it as a costs/benefits analysis.

[sarcasm]The prestigious Washington City Paper[/sarcasm] has a decent writeup on all of this.

http://washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=2406

I made a correction. I dont think its worth it at all for any science majors or liberal arts majors for sure. Those departments severely drag the university down. Although it does have some good business programs, I dont think paying 55k a year is worth it. There are much better schools for a lot cheaper.

As for the International Affairs school and public policy stuff...its the highlight of the university but I dont think that the GWU "brand" helps for getting jobs or anything

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
I made a correction. I dont think its worth it at all for any science majors or liberal arts majors for sure. Those departments severely drag the university down. Although it does have some good business programs, I dont think paying 55k a year is worth it. There are much better schools for a lot cheaper.

As for the International Affairs school and public policy stuff...its the highlight of the university but I dont think that the GWU "brand" helps for getting jobs or anything

Interesting thoughts. I've heard a lot of people say similar things when it comes to GWU's liberal arts programs; basically that they're simply not up to snuff.

Last time I checked (could be wrong), U.S. News put GWU below American and Georgetown in a "Best Career/Job Placement" list.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts. I've heard a lot of people say similar things when it comes to GWU's liberal arts programs; basically that they're simply not up to snuff.

Last time I checked (could be wrong), U.S. News put GWU below American and Georgetown in a "Best Career/Job Placement" list.

I dont think there are as many ambitious kids at GW. There are more trust fund babies there though. That might be the reason why that is but also the liberal arts sucks.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont think there are as many ambitious kids at GW. There are more trust fund babies there though. That might be the reason why that is but also the liberal arts sucks.

The article touches on that...a college official even admitted that they need a lot of rich kids whose parents will simply write a check every semester; otherwise, the entire university would go under.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The article touches on that...a college official even admitted that they need a lot of rich kids whose parents will simply write a check every semester; otherwise, the entire university would go under.

I was friends with those kids. My friend lived at 2400 M St. Biatch went shopping everyday. 2600 dollars at Burberry in 15 minutes?!

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on topic.

I really don't think it's worth it. And I agree with everything Ghulkan said.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry is a *************...
Prorsum isnt too bad but DC doesnt have any
Most GW kids are label whores...no style.
2400 M isnt a luxury building people just thikn that cuz its new. It will look normal in a few years.

The dude I know at the Porsche/BMWdealership was like yea we get some GW kids ever year to buy cars here...

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry is a *************...
Prorsum isnt too bad but DC doesnt have any
Most GW kids are label whores...no style.
2400 M isnt a luxury building people just thikn that cuz its new. It will look normal in a few years.

The dude I know at the Porsche/BMWdealership was like yea we get some GW kids ever year to buy cars here...

Agreed.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I woudlnt transfer to GW if I were you. I think theres better schools out there...but I woudlnt really want to go to American either...

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Whether or not any college is worth $50k a year is debatable, but when the Ivy League and places like MIT, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Chicago, etc...are ~$40-45k all-in AND offer generous aid, GWU is surely not worth it. It's a mediocre school compared to almost anything else in its price range. It fits in with a Syracuse, NYU (Arts, not Stern), and USC -- decent schools that are horribly overpriced. Basically, rich kids who weren't smart enough to get into better schools.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
The only schools I would never go to are OSU and USC.
laugh.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of kids at GW couldn't get into Georgetown... so they settle for GW.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
A lot of kids at GW couldn't get into Georgetown... so they settle for GW.

Yea you have some kids but thats not all that true.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Whether or not any college is worth $50k a year is debatable, but when the Ivy League and places like MIT, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Chicago, etc...are ~$40-45k all-in AND offer generous aid, GWU is surely not worth it. It's a mediocre school compared to almost anything else in its price range. It fits in with a Syracuse, NYU (Arts, not Stern), and USC -- decent schools that are horribly overpriced. Basically, rich kids who weren't smart enough to get into better schools.
It doesnt really fit in with NYU (yes its liberal arts isnt the best of its schools (its known for Tisch and then stern--however some of the programs (such as psychology) are much better than GW--every signle one of GWs arts programs sucks)--i dont know about the other two because i havnt been there. And GW is pretty generous with aid too. Its expensive but if you need money you will probably get it. Obviously some places can afford to be more generous but GW is still pretty damn good in terms of financial aid. and not all kids at nyu are rich. yes there are a lot but far less than gw. most schools are mediocre in that price range over all anyways its not always about smart either--people choose where they want to go sometimes for a particular reason. I dont think its fairt to say that just because you dont go to aprestigous school its because you werent smart enough to get in---those schools are genuinely tough to gain acceptance in. So many 1600s get rejected from Ivy Leagues every year. I mean they might end up going to a better school than NYU or USC but they might end up going there as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads