• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect gym bag

gilwood

Reaction score
I've been searching for years for the perfect gym bag. My requirements were pretty strict:

1) Fit exactly in a standard locker standing up - Locker dimensions are 17x11 (or 10 to pass lip)x36
2) Have a place to put shoes away so polish doesn't get on your shirts.
3) Be able to be used as an underseat carry-on bag.
4) Be able to slip over a rolling carryon's pull out handle.

My search is finally over with the Hartmann Vertical Satchel which meet all of the requirements. This is an incredible bag. Has shoe pockets on the sides to keep your shoes away. Has a nice front pocket to keep all your locks, weight lifting gloves, etc. Even has side pockets to carry a water bottle. I've yet to do the underseat test, but I have a feeling that it'll work perfectly.

HartmannGymBag1.jpg

Here's a photo of it fitting perfectly into a locker:

HartmannGymBag2.jpg

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Excuse the honesty, but that's a fantastic waste of money. I cannot imagine spending that much money on something that's goign to hold sweaty gym clothes in a hot, damp, sweaty-infused locker.

Keep your shoes in a sleeper bag and the polish won't get on the shirts. They should be in sleepers when they're not being worn anyway.

gilwood

Reaction score
... actually there's no sweat involved. The lockers at my gym are kept very clean and tidy. I go to the gym afterwork, so I pack a sweatshirt and wear my sweaty gym clothes home where they go directly into a hamper. I'm also keeping my shoes in shoe trees in the side pockets.

I guess it's perfect for me, maybe not for someone else.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
HH, that's not so bad. I looked online and they were about $250. Obviously you're free to do whatever you choose with your dollar but that seemed a bit wreckless at the higher price point.

Cheers. I'm glad you enjoy it.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is this Hartmann bag to carry around (I assume it has a shoulder strap)?

My club has two sized lockers - full-sized and half-sized, each with a cubby space in the upper portion.

At my club, I just put my shoes at the bottom of the locker and use separate hangers for each of my jacket, trousers, shirt and overcoat, while I hang my loosened tie on a hook and put my gym bag in the cubby. Thus, I need a bag that can protect the stuff I leave in there during my work out (i.e. my wallet, watch and ID card) and take the abuse of being crammed inside the cubby.

gilwood

Reaction score
I think this bag might be a little too small for a jacket & overcoat. It's a little tight even for trousers and a shirt. I usually wear polo shirts or button downs to work, so I only expected to fit that in the bag.

The lockers were I work out also have the cubby up top, but there's no way the bag will fit up there. The bag does have a shoulder strap and is quite comfortable to carry around. Although I wish the shoulder strap had a grippier pad.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't need it to hold my clothes, which I put on again after showering (except if I'm going straight home AND sending my clothes to the cleaners - which is the only time I stuff them into my gym bag post-workout).

What are the dimentions of the Hartmann? My Briggs & Riley bag is 11" x 11" x 14" and it fits in the cubby space - but its soft-sided.

My other problem is that I usually read two newspapers a day, and I cram them into the front or side pouches of the bag, which really makes the bag unbalaced when I walk.
baldy[1].gif

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
What are the dimentions of the Hartmann?

I think it's something like 14 x 12 x 8. The 8" dimension being most important so it can fit into the slim space of a locker without having to be folded or crushed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads