• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
I will remind the audience that only three good photos of oxfords worn casually have been posted. The most recent was @Wild Strawberry Rabbit which wasn’t really casual, but still a very good outfit. He should post more.
So today I’m wearing oxfords with chinos again. This time a little more casually (turtleneck instead of shirt and tie). Lighting is pretty bad, so it’s hard to capture true colors with iPhone. I think the last photo shows them closest to real ones.

A514E501-5D6B-452E-94B5-2075D5E0A755.jpeg

50D29428-873C-425C-943C-86CD567B0BE1.jpeg

DAEC962B-6C65-41D5-B11A-F6A1E52B2B31.jpeg
E9E6DDF2-296E-47CC-9FB6-979C21433C5B.jpeg

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair to DWW, he does own an oxford or two. He just rarely ever wears them, like the John Lobb he kept in the closet for 10 years and it got damaged somehow.

He's a loafers and NST kinda guy in general.
Well, yeah, but that was my point. In other words, that there might be some personal inclination on his part away from oxfords no matter what he is wearing, and not because he has no choice.

I'd imagine, rather, that it's because they would feel more formal than he typically wants or needs to be. (Because after all, we know he enjoys the aesthetic they are a part of.) I'm saying to maybe view his personal norms through that lens, and take it into account if your own lifestyle or preferences call or allow for more formality.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are times when a boot would work with a suit. Inclement weather could justify a chelsea or dress boot, especially a balmoral. Basically, boots that look like shoes, rather than work or country boots.

For instance, it was completely acceptable to wear boots in the 19th century on account of the conditions of the streets. In like manner, I'd say one can wear boots with suits nowadays when inclement weather would suggest that a boot is a proper choice, but I'd avoid wearing boots with suits otherwise. And again, the boots should match the formality. It would not be in good taste to wear a pair of timbs with a suit, for instance.
Boots are fine with a suit in many cases. I'm wearing Chelsea boots today as it's raining and I have to be out and about. Just wear sleeker-cut boots. I wear C&J Lingfield's with tailoring but Chelsea V casually as they are more rounded and don't pair well with a suit.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's utterly fucked that I'm doing this, and I was thinking of keeping this actually good outfit a secret from you psychos, but... :stirpot: ? ?

View attachment 1702334
Ancient dudes and attractive women usually get a pass no matter what they do.

emptym

Reaction score
So today I’m wearing oxfords with chinos again. This time a little more casually (turtleneck instead of shirt and tie). Lighting is pretty bad, so it’s hard to capture true colors with iPhone. I think the last photo shows them closest to real ones.

View attachment 1702238
View attachment 1702240
View attachment 1702239 View attachment 1702241
This looks great as well. The fit, colors, material, and your build combine really well. But I'm with those who would say that loafers or derbies would make it even better.
Well, yeah, but that was my point. In other words, that there might be some personal inclination on his part away from oxfords no matter what he is wearing, and not because he has no choice.

I'd imagine, rather, that it's because they would feel more formal than he typically wants or needs to be. (Because after all, we know he enjoys the aesthetic they are a part of.) I'm saying to maybe view his personal norms through that lens, and take it into account if your own lifestyle or preferences call or allow for more formality.
Sure, but it'd be a mistake to dismiss the (thumb) rule that oxfords are best reserved for suits as simply DWW's personal inclination or feeling. Many others have chimed in over the various threads that they were taught and hold this as well.
There are times when a boot would work with a suit. Inclement weather could justify a chelsea or dress boot, especially a balmoral. Basically, boots that look like shoes, rather than work or country boots.

For instance, it was completely acceptable to wear boots in the 19th century on account of the conditions of the streets. In like manner, I'd say one can wear boots with suits nowadays when inclement weather would suggest that a boot is a proper choice, but I'd avoid wearing boots with suits otherwise. And again, the boots should match the formality. It would not be in good taste to wear a pair of timbs with a suit, for instance.
Yeah, boots are totally fine. It just depends on the boots. Balmoral boots would be most fitting, unless you're in Texas and other parts West, in which case it might be cowboy boots.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wear oxfords with "serious" suits. I just don't wear serious suits often.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks great as well. The fit, colors, material, and your build combine really well. But I'm with those who would say that loafers or derbies would be better.

Sure, but it'd be a mistake to dismiss the (thumb) rule that oxfords are best reserved for suits as simply DWW's personal inclination or feeling. Many others have chimed in over the various threads that they were taught and hold this as well.

Yeah, boots are totally fine. It just depends on the boots. Balmoral boots would be most fitting, unless you're in Texas and other parts West, in which case it might be cowboy boots.

Yes. Cultural expectations can factor in, too. Might look strange to wear cowboy boots in France, but acceptable in Texas.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
This looks great as well. The fit, colors, material, and your build combine really well. But I'm with those who would say that loafers or derbies would be better.
Thank you for the kind opinion. Regarding shoes, for me loafers = warm weather, wool turtleneck = cold weather and combining these in one outfit would be much more incohesive than wearing oxfords that I wore. I agree that derbies would also fit well. Not sure if better, for sure they would look differently. Anyway I'm not looking for any optimization to get "best look possible". I just wear what I like and what I feel looks good. If these two conditions are met, then I'm happy and I'm not losing my sleep over thought that I could change something to make the outfit "better".

Stylewords

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind opinion. Regarding shoes, for me loafers = warm weather, wool turtleneck = cold weather and combining these in one outfit would be much more incohesive than wearing oxfords that I wore. I agree that derbies would also fit well. Not sure if better, for sure they would look differently. Anyway I'm not looking for any optimization to get "best look possible". I just wear what I like and what I feel looks good. If these two conditions are met, then I'm happy and I'm not losing my sleep over thought that I could change something to make the outfit "better".
Totally agree that loafers and turtleneck is not a good combination. The choice of oxfords was great for the the outfit, though derbies would have been fine too.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree that loafers and turtleneck is not a good combination. The choice of oxfords was great for the the outfit, though derbies would have been fine too.
I just can't get into turtlenecks and would have phrased it this way: "Totally agree that ______ and turtleneck is not a good combination." :fence:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads