• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

Anjuna

Reaction score
About to buy my first proper overcoat. Thinking of a navy, ulster-style overcoat from an italian maker such as Caruso, Lardini etc.

I was eyeing this piece from Caruso. However I wanted to ask more experienced folk about the button stance. To me, it seems to be very low, thinking this might be sort of an "ultra-modern" baggier and loose fitting silhouette, that seems to be on trend right now. I'm looking for a classic and well-cut overcoat that ends slightly above the knee.
Screenshot 2022-10-15 115412.jpg

Versus this Lardini for example.
Screenshot 2022-10-15 115653.jpg
Looking for opinions on this matter, thanks in advance!

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to buy my first proper overcoat. Thinking of a navy, ulster-style overcoat from an italian maker such as Caruso, Lardini etc.

I was eyeing this piece from Caruso. However I wanted to ask more experienced folk about the button stance. To me, it seems to be very low, thinking this might be sort of an "ultra-modern" baggier and loose fitting silhouette, that seems to be on trend right now. I'm looking for a classic and well-cut overcoat that ends slightly above the knee.

I (much) prefer the Caruso over the Lardini, especially for the collar and lapel. Also the cloth seems to be superior. As you said, the button stance and positioning does't look best. I like to have the upper buttons not in line with the others, but more externally.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lower buttoning stance can look pretty classic and nice if you ask me ;)
Polo coat.jpeg

Anjuna

Reaction score
Exactly! I also think there should be more distance between the 2 uppermost buttons, but I suppose that's the look they are going for with this coat as per the picture Zerase posted (which looks great by the way). Also, I don't mind a slightly over the knee look and suppose it can look even much better than just above the knee when done right. Suppose I'll find out when I order the coat :)

Mirage-

Reaction score
I ended up preordering the dark grey donegal raglan from Permanent Style after a month of consideration, both on colour choice (really liked the brown too, my partner hates it though) and on whether to spend that much in the first place (it's by far the most expensive piece of clothing I've ever bought). It arrivedend of last month, but sadly in Italy it's still so warm that I can't wear anything more than a cotton blouson, so I'll take pictures later on.
I do think it might need to be shortened (certainly in the sleeves, probably in the body too, it goes way below the knees).
And btw it has no belt, which is actually partially why I chose it: I wanted one specifically designed to be worn without. Overcoats with belts just remind me too strongly of house robes, and tend to be excessively roomy if you remove it.
PS's looks fairly roomy while open, but if buttoned it actually looks surprisingly shaped, though still roomy enough for a jacket. And the raglan shoulder really does the miracle of looking good both with and without a jacket, which was a big problem with my previous Cavour overcoat (which I felt was slightly too trim in the shoulders for a jacket - even Cavour's own soft shouldered one - yet slightly hollow-shouldered without).

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm split between these two overcoats, would love some input.
A bit split between two vintage coats I've been looking at. I'd be wearing them closed, in an oversized manner. Over hoodies and sneakers, sports coats and chinos etc. A scarf too of course.

This one is a Hickey Freeman in a mystery fabric. The seller (our own eazye) says it's fuzzy and possibly Alpaca. It's glen plaid. I like the Hickey's peak lapels, but not a fan of the brighter colour. It's also very long; I'd have to get the hem shortened and narrowed, and the sleeves shortened. The coat's texture is overall appealing, despite the image quality. The chest opening is also more closed; that matters a lot for my windy, frigid city.

6KkDFLU.jpg

7Cp0488.jpg

This is one is by Abrahaum Straus in cashmere. The lapels are flimsy looking, but I like how they curve and roll. Lots of lapped seams and swelled edges everywhere. Love the trad details. No tailoring will be necessary, but there isn't much texture. The seller did confirm the cashmere is a heavier fabric, so it should drape nicer than lightweight cashmere as well.

il_794xN.3743978031_ijyf.jpg

Pandaros

Reaction score
I'm split between these two overcoats, would love some input.
A bit split between two vintage coats I've been looking at. I'd be wearing them closed, in an oversized manner. Over hoodies and sneakers, sports coats and chinos etc. A scarf too of course.

This one is a Hickey Freeman in a mystery fabric. The seller (our own eazye) says it's fuzzy and possibly Alpaca. It's glen plaid. I like the Hickey's peak lapels, but not a fan of the brighter colour. It's also very long; I'd have to get the hem shortened and narrowed, and the sleeves shortened. The coat's texture is overall appealing, despite the image quality. The chest opening is also more closed; that matters a lot for my windy, frigid city.

6KkDFLU.jpg

7Cp0488.jpg

This is one is by Abrahaum Straus in cashmere. The lapels are flimsy looking, but I like how they curve and roll. Lots of lapped seams and swelled edges everywhere. Love the trad details. No tailoring will be necessary, but there isn't much texture. The seller did confirm the cashmere is a heavier fabric, so it should drape nicer than lightweight cashmere as well.

il_794xN.3743978031_ijyf.jpg

Not sure that I like either tbh from those photos

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure that I like either tbh from those photos
All good. Can you elaborate on what you don't like?

My coat wardrobe is filled with earthy/drab colours and textures. I was thinking I'd pick up a single-breasted coat in navy/blue to provide some more contrast capabilities in my wardrobe.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up preordering the dark grey donegal raglan from Permanent Style after a month of consideration, both on colour choice (really liked the brown too, my partner hates it though) and on whether to spend that much in the first place (it's by far the most expensive piece of clothing I've ever bought). It arrivedend of last month, but sadly in Italy it's still so warm that I can't wear anything more than a cotton blouson, so I'll take pictures later on.
I do think it might need to be shortened (certainly in the sleeves, probably in the body too, it goes way below the knees).
And btw it has no belt, which is actually partially why I chose it: I wanted one specifically designed to be worn without. Overcoats with belts just remind me too strongly of house robes, and tend to be excessively roomy if you remove it.
PS's looks fairly roomy while open, but if buttoned it actually looks surprisingly shaped, though still roomy enough for a jacket. And the raglan shoulder really does the miracle of looking good both with and without a jacket, which was a big problem with my previous Cavour overcoat (which I felt was slightly too trim in the shoulders for a jacket - even Cavour's own soft shouldered one - yet slightly hollow-shouldered without).
You mean a version of this? Great classical full-cut

GaiusM

Reaction score
Great choice. Wasn't aware it was still being offered. Is it something you can preorder every year?

Mirage-

Reaction score
You mean a version of this? Great classical full-cut
Yes, precisely that colour. Though this year's preorder version was done in a slightly heavier weight than the one in that article, the v1.

Great choice. Wasn't aware it was still being offered. Is it something you can preorder every year?
I'm not sure about that. In the past years Simon has done a different version each year, first the dark grey herringbone, then dark brown herringbone (heaviest), then light grey with larger herringbone (in-between the two previous weights). I don't like the last version, it looks too much like a fashion statement, but love both of the former 2.
In any case, I have admired it for a full 3 years in his photos before deciding I was willing (and able) to spend 1200€ on it.
Since he had many requests for past versions this year he set up a preorder (in summer) for all past versions, all in the most recent weight though, and I went for the original dark grey.
He then also just released a navy version - which I thought I would have wanted instead, but after looking at photos I prefer the one I got. Being a donegal like all others, it looks too much like a "sky print" somehow.

Some of my favourite shots:
1665907990400.png

1665908008847.png

1665908045036.png

1665908092567.png

Ofc it is much longer on me since i'm "just" 173cm, leaving half that much open.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member