• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
BB black shell LHS.

YjrTDCa.jpg

I agree with @Shawnc. These are the most comfortable version of LHS. For some reason, this particular pair is even better. I wear them more than my color 8 BB LHS.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB black shell LHS.

YjrTDCa.jpg

I agree with @Shawnc. These are the most comfortable version of LHS. For some reason, this particular pair is even better. I wear them more than my color 8 BB LHS.

Given my last post I am even more happy to hear your choice of Black over C8 as it may be my only option going forward. Enough about me, yours look great!

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just checking - the annual price increase took black/color 8 cordovan boots to the mid $900s 😲

Inflation hits everything, but that’s getting very pricey. I have a few orders for 2023 but they will definitely be on a downtrend

I agree ! The prices are really making me be very very selective on future purchases. I know we go through this same discussion every year, but this last increase was pretty hefty. Handsewn calf models now north of 7 bills....Ooof

I think its especially for shocking for those of us who've been in this game 10+ years. Shell has increased 50% over the last 11-12 years. That's nothing to sneeze at.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know of a retailer who has a Black Chamois RO Indy Boot on the neocork/crepe/wedge? Preorder also works. I've browsed a bunch and cannot find anyone with this makeup.

bemk

Reaction score
Well, originally I wanted to proudly show you my 2nd pair of Alden Shells after giving them some TLC, but I had some bad luck with these. They are 2nd hand.

When they came I instantly noticed, that the stitching on the rear upper at the back inside was pretty loose and I can see from how the leather has rolled, that it should originate from someone getting in and out of the boots without having them unlaced sufficiently:

IMG_5934c-1.jpg

On the pictures I got, that part was out of focus and the seller answered that it hadn't been apparent to him upon inspection. They were in "excellent condition" he said, "7/10" he said.

Okay, my cobbler can fix it easily and so today I cleaned them, which was badly needed and treated them with Cordovan Creme as they were quite dry:

230209_16952_Alden_JumperBoots.jpg

Upon arrival I had only slipped into them shortly to get a feeling for how much the sole was moulded and had put them aside as I was waiting for delivery of the care products.
Then I finally mounted a new pair of original laces, which I had ordered for them and got into them and laced them up for the first time.

And when I reached the first speed-hooks, I didn't want to believe my eyes:

IMG_5940_marked.jpg

This is even worse when fully laced.
I looked again at the pictures the seller had sent and the only halfway-frontal picture was cut off at that area, the others were from an angle which doesn't show the asymmetry, which - I bet - surely also wasn't apparent to him upon inspection and when lacing and wearing them.

Two days ago I had been a bit frustrated after unboxing them, today I wanted to find joy with them after giving them a fine treatment and now this. I will put them up on a local site for classifieds and enjoy my Cap Toe Color 8 Boots, which I had shown here a few days ago, until I find a nice Alden Shell edition, which matches my wishes. A new pair, I mean.

Last edited:

GGMac

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know of a retailer who has a Black Chamois RO Indy Boot on the neocork/crepe/wedge? Preorder also works. I've browsed a bunch and cannot find anyone with this makeup.
Totem has one on 379X. Limited availability (8,9,11.5) and not sure if they will run again.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totem has one on 379X. Limited availability (8,9,11.5) and not sure if they will run again.

I forgot to exclude this one, my size is long gone :(

branpureza

Reaction score

These are pretty close.

They also have Reverse Earth but they're on commando.

GGMac

Reaction score
I love me some Alden suede. My first milkshake suede courtesy of our friends at Ealdwine on the left. The Redwood from AOM on the right flank the Hobson from David Wood. Milkshake, Tan, Snuff as a point of reference. The Ealdwine JJ Dr. Jones and Madison Redwood’s are my latest arrivals.

7B456DA4-20E5-4C41-A0A2-B83EC62A5708.jpeg

Last edited:

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
i can “fit” in an 8.5C barrie but since it tapers in the toe box i prefer to take a D and tighten the laces. it’s a little looser in the heel but i have more space for my toesies lol. im not sure if this strategy would work with boots though.

maybe a controversial take but im not in love with the barrie last, at least when its on my feet.. however, i do think it makes for beautiful make ups. i guess i love how it looks but not how it feels for me lol
Not controversial at all. This is similar to my experience with Barrie. 9.5C Brannock, tried 9.0D in Barrie, and it came close to ruining my foot. I have messed around with a lot of other sizes in Barrie, but basically, a size that "fits" bumps against my small toes and is too loose in the heel. Then it gets worse from there. The good news, is that there is so much made in the Barrie last, I can just ignore most make-ups, and concentrate on lasts that fit (TB, Plaza, 379, ML). Allows me to whittle down the potential purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohneAllene