• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 'My Tailor Has Irked Me' Thread.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to my alterations tailor, I had many things altered and prolly spent $200 on a lot of garments that I dropped off 3 weeks ago. Everything went relatively smoothly except for one pair of pants which I had shortened (plain cuff with shoeborn(sp?)) and had the waist taken in.

First time I got them back, the shoeborn were missing (which I paid extra to have them keep) and the pants were uneven.

Second time, the pants were too short.

This third time the waist was still a little loose so I asked her to make sure they had, in fact, taken the waist in, so the tailor's wife instead tells me that the pants are not the right cut for me and I should buy a different cut next time with a lower rise. I told her, that isn't what I asked her and it wasn't her place to tell me what to buy. These pants had a pretty standard rise. In the end, I saw her chalk markings and I knew she was going to over compensate and take too much in so I just left since they weren't that bad. I felt like she was just tired of altering that pair of pants.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dearth of tailors around here, and I went to this one guy who advertises the type of things that we look for, with a straight up sleeve lengthening. It was well done and I returned with better garments -- a Brioni jacket and a Huntsman jacket, again, needing sleeve lengthening (long arms, I have).

When I returned, they both looked good, and as I was about to try the Huntsman, he showed me this black fabric (canvas) and said "See, I tear this junk out of the cuff, and replace with this good fuse."

butbut.gif
mad.gif
baldy[1].gif

The linen Brioni isn't right, either. I haven't gotten any work done anywhere since, and I really need to.

~ Huntsman

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a thread from a long while back about my trouble with my tailor. I went back to them a few more times but I'm planning on going to another one in my area, when I need some work done.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'straight up sleeve lengthening' when it's at home please?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'straight up sleeve lengthening' when it's at home please?

While we're at it with questions.

What is a shoeborn?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo

I don't understand the 'at home' part, but I intended 'straight up' to mean that it was a simple operation without complications.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
While we're at it with questions.

What is a shoeborn?

I know I spelled it wrong. It is the German word for it, and my tailors don't know what to call it in English. It is the tape stitched in at the hem of your pants to help drape and prevent wear.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I don't understand the 'at home' part, but I intended 'straight up' to mean that it was a simple operation without complications.

'at home' is/was a common phrase used in my neck of the woods. Down our way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads