• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I went past the onitsuka tiger shop in NYC a few months ago. I like the white with red and blue and the yellow Bruce Lee ones but already have gazelles in similar colours so I passed.

Yes that's the ones i've got.
Tiger 1.jpg

The yellow ones are too... Bruce Lee-esque precisely (Also Uma Thurman in Kill Bill).
Next ones, black with white stripes
Tiger black.jpeg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went past the onitsuka tiger shop in NYC a few months ago. I like the white with red and blue and the yellow
Bruce Lee ones but already have gazelles in similar colours so I passed.

There’s not much I need / want so I suppose I’m inventing scenarios now. I was so chuffed with the way my Thick as Thieves jacket turned out, it recently occurred to me I’d love an all-purpose sports jacket for when I next go home. Something I could wear with maybe a shirt and sta pressts and chelseas if we’re out for dinner or dress down with a FP, jeans and gazelles. I’m thinking royal blue PoW with some hopsack-y texture but wouldn’t know where to go looking for that. I think my alteration tailor had some swatches so I’ll take a look when I’m next there.
A sports jacket and training shoes for me is a definite No No.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re gonna do music please do so under a different thread title.
I used to look at the mod generation website but it’s descended into nothing more than people posting pictures of CDs of what they’re currently listening to. Each to their own but I find that boring AF me.
To be honest, I find the majority of the posters on the mod generation website as boring as F**k, I am not a member and have never posted, the ones that do seem to be a bit clueless, posting pics of each other and then everyone responds with how great it looks. A lot of the posters are of an age, where their clothing choices no longer look age appropriate, or for that no longer look good in 2020. The good thing about this thread is that other posters do give criticism, and most people don't take it to heart.
My suggestion about playlists would only be a link, that you can "click" on if you are interested, something different to do in these strange times. I didn't mean posting pics of album covers, as you say boring AF.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I find the majority of the posters on the mod generation website as boring as F**k, I am not a member and have never posted, the ones that do seem to be a bit clueless, posting pics of each other and then everyone responds with how great it looks. A lot of the posters are of an age, where their clothing choices no longer look age appropriate, or for that no longer look good in 2020. The good thing about this thread is that other posters do give criticism, and most people don't take it to heart.
My suggestion about playlists would only be a link, that you can "click" on if you are interested, something different to do in these strange times. I didn't mean posting pics of album covers, as you say boring AF.
I take a look every once in a while and it seems that days go by with hardly a post being made and even less of interest if you subtract the CD pics. The last couple of outfit pics I posted on there received precisely zero comments. We all like to get a compliment from time to time but well-reasoned criticism can be a lot more thought provoking. I know exactly what you mean about mutual back slapping of very mediocre outfits. Maybe I’m just now down with the clique there? Oh well!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aye come to think of it I don’t remember doing that. Swap in dessies instead and it’s problies more up my alley.
Mod shoes are doing some very nice Playboy style chukkas at the moment, styled on the ones McQueen wore in Bullit, as an alternative to Clarks Dessies. The only problem is buying online for quality and sizing, especially for you in the States. Reviews always seem positive for their gear, only thing I've bought from them are the leather soled monkey boots which are ok, the guy who runs it said that he wore them on a night out with a suit, another no no. They look good with jeans and fatigues, I wouldn't even wear my Grenson brogue boots with a suit or for that matter tailored trousers, Sta Press at a push.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Mod music Mod website Mod ******...
You want some Playboys ? Buy Sanders.
You want MB ? Buy Grafters.
"Mod shoes" MB are an abomination, MB are cheap boots with plastic soles...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mod shoes are doing some very nice Playboy style chukkas at the moment, styled on the ones McQueen wore in Bullit, as an alternative to Clarks Dessies. The only problem is buying online for quality and sizing, especially for you in the States. Reviews always seem positive for their gear, only thing I've bought from them are the leather soled monkey boots which are ok, the guy who runs it said that he wore them on a night out with a suit, another no no. They look good with jeans and fatigues, I wouldn't even wear my Grenson brogue boots with a suit or for that matter tailored trousers, Sta Press at a push.

Thanks. I had never heard of them. When I checked they are doing a Playboy style shoe for £85 which is about half the price of Sanders and - in all honesty - a fairer price.

I do have a pair of navy Sanders bought in a sale. They are tight around the toe box - one of the perils of buying shoes online without trying them on first.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To continue the shoe theme, I am not sure if we have covered longwing brogue collections or plaincaps for that matter.

I was interested to see Loake now offer an upmarket version of the Royal brogue called the Birkdale in their 1880 legacy range. Does anyone own this and have a view on it?

I do have a Loake under a different brand name with a Dainite sole and it is a revelation. Very easy to wear, the laces don’t come undone as on my Royals(probably due to less stiffness)

What I am interested in is the overall quality of this shoe. Also does it have the ‘Mr. Knightley join’ on the inside upper?
It seems to be on a different last to the Royal, so they may have abandoned this practice.

Information on Cheaney Dainite sole longwing also welcome.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
They are much better quality, part of the 1880 range. I saw them "in the flesh" (and mentioned them in a post here a couple of days ago).
They do have the "Mr Knightley join", but what is better between a "join" Loake MiE or a "no join" Florsheim Made in India, i wonder ?

On the Longwing topic, Clarks USA are re-doing the Bostonian collection and they offer a nice Longwing, actually at half price on the Clarks USA website. They are Made in USA, and have a leather sole. Nice last and leather.
(in Black or Burgundy)

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are much better quality, part of the 1880 range IIRC. I saw then "in the flesh" (and mentioned them in a post here a couple of days ago).
They do have the "Mr Knightley joint", but what is better between a "joint" Loake MiE or a "no joint" Florsheim Made in India, i wonder ?

On the Longwing topic, Clarks USA are re-doing the Bostonian collection and they offer a very nice Longwing, actually at half price on the Clarks USA website. They are Made in USA, and have a leather sole. Nice last and leather.
Thanks. I don’t think Florsheim are what they were though. Even the leather does not look great in photos.

Hopefully it is not an either/or option if other brands are an option.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mod music Mod website Mod ******...
You want some Playboys ? Buy Sanders.
You want MB ? Buy Grafters.
"Mod shoes" MB are an abomination, MB are cheap boots with plastic soles...
It was just a suggestion as the mod shoe Playboys come in a lot cheaper than the Sanders.
I have two pairs of Grafters, and the mod shoes, leather soled are just another example of many versions on the market, e.g. Trickers, Fred Perry, George Cox, Dr Martens, Solovair, to name a few. I seem to recall you liking the Fred Perry versions in a earlier post.
Also can you define mod music to me?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well you are the one who says you are still a mod (at nearly 60, grow up a bit !) and that wanted to put a "playlist", so explain me.

Well the FP/Cox MB have a plastic sole actually. Anyway i won't ever buy MB again, definitely not age appropriate, like checked harringtons or... bérets (well in a retirement home though) :-D

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To continue the shoe theme, I am not sure if we have covered longwing brogue collections or plaincaps for that matter.

I was interested to see Loake now offer an upmarket version of the Royal brogue called the Birkdale in their 1880 legacy range. Does anyone own this and have a view on it?

I do have a Loake under a different brand name with a Dainite sole and it is a revelation. Very easy to wear, the laces don’t come undone as on my Royals(probably due to less stiffness)

What I am interested in is the overall quality of this shoe. Also does it have the ‘Mr. Knightley join’ on the inside upper?
It seems to be on a different last to the Royal, so they may have abandoned this practice.

Information on Cheaney Dainite sole longwing also welcome.
I've got both the Loake Royal, and the Sovereign with the dainite sole, same shoes different sole. I have worn the Sovereigns a lot more, as I mainly wear longwings in the Autumn/Winter months.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thanks. I don’t think Florsheim are what they were though. Even the leather does not look great in photos.

Hopefully it is not an either/or option if other brands are an option.

i like the Bostonian Longwings, apparently its on an "old" last, so might have that authentic flavor. I like their shape and the fact that the soles are black on the side (reminds me of Dexter longwings i had a long time ago).
Now i won't buy them, because it's complicated to order from the USA, if the sizing is wrong, and taxes etc, and because next brogues i buy will be with Dainite soles.
I have considered several options, so far i think the Tricker's Bourton ("English Brogues") are my favorite, and they are available here and often in sales.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads