• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Gsvs5

Reaction score

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way is that as described - late 60s or early 70s - with a tag saying 91cm on it.

There is too much of this ignorant/fraudulent 60s/70s bullshit around. Tell him to **** off

Also, the “MADE IN ENGLAND” tag in all caps is a much newer, post-Lavori thing— it used to be a white tag with “Made In England” in red cursive writing.

Last edited:

pressuredrop

Reaction score
Also, the “MADE IN ENGLAND” tag in all caps is a much newer, post-Lavori thing— it used to be a white tag with “Made In Emgland” in red cursive writing.

Question: Was there a thread with comparisons of modern vs vintage labels on here?

(Not just Baracuta, but Ben Sherman, Brutus, etc?)

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ those quilted jackets are handy this time of year as a throw on for a walk in the woods or walk to the chip shop. Alongside a waxed jacket all utility angles are covered.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Two years ago I bought a l/s merino wool polo in 'loden' from House of Bruar. Nice wool and made in Scotland, but for some reason it never got worn - perhaps the cut, which is too short and too 'tube-like'. Anyway, finally got it out earlier this week here:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ar-casual-style.253842/page-1637#post-9135433

So you English speaking folks when you speak of Loden you mainly mean a color? But Loden is a special woolen material (you all probably know) from Tyrol. Three traditional colours : green (the one you call Loden), navy, and grey. I had a green coat (a loooooong time ago) and have actually two blue ones (both old). The next i get will be grey. A bit Wehrmacht but Ach... Mein Führer ! I can walk !

There is an incredible shop in Vienna where they sell top quality Loden coats (in different length), jackets, etc. Bulletproof material. The kind of shop that probably didn't change for the last 70 years. Seems like time has stopped when you are inside. I tried a superb grey Loden there a few years ago. Didn't have the cash then unfortunately.

Last edited:

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
So you English speaking folks when you speak of Loden you mainly mean a color? But Loden is a special woolen material (you all probably know) from Tyrol. Three traditional colours : green (the one you call Loden), navy, and grey. I had a green coat (a loooooong time ago) and have actually two blue ones (both old). The next i get will be grey. A bit Wehrmacht but Ach... Mein Führer ! I can walk !

There is an incredible shop in Vienna where they sell top quality Loden coats (in different length), jackets, etc. Bulletproof material. The kind of shop that probably didn't change for the last 70 years. Seems like time has stopped when you are inside. I tried a superb grey Loden there a few years ago. Didn't have the cash then unfortunately.

Had a dark blue one many, many moons ago. Beautiful coat.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ those quilted jackets are handy this time of year as a throw on for a walk in the woods or walk to the chip shop. Alongside a waxed jacket all utility angles are covered.
Yes they are, but I don’t think they work as well over suit, which is how many people round here wear them.

Mine is strictly for casual use.

Last edited:

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
Sorry to go off topic fellas but has anyone got a Bladen jacket? seen one on ebay what looks nice, meant to be more regular fitting tho.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supasaxy?

You seem to be buying lots of 'stuff' and getting it altered, etc. If I was your age I would buy fewer and better and from new. Some words of wisdom

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
Supasaxy?

You seem to be buying lots of 'stuff' and getting it altered, etc. If I was your age I would buy fewer and better and from new. Some words of wisdom

Wish i could, cant afford to these days though. Most of my stuff is second hand but decent quality, not like the cheap ''skinhead'' stuff you get today. Part of the ''look'' to me is trying to look you're best on limited means, someone could only buy expensive gear but still not be right(not saying i do, but i try my best).

The brand of the jacket i posted is meant to be decent too, i was just wondering if anyone who had one could tell me how they fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics