• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see you here sir! I happened to look at ‘dressed well’ - I think it is called - this morning and liked your comments about some of the current rip-off schemes in igent land.

I must say when I saw my own list in black and white I was surprised at the bias towards the High Street this year. I believe it is at least partly due to this thread and being reminded that a mix of high street and higher end stuff can work well.

The EWM visit was due to arriving in a very autumnal Somerset in August with not enough knitwear and having very little choice! But both items are more than adequate for what they are.

In response to your last point you may recall my saying that I was, in my formative years, a committee clerk in local government. I suppose that training has left me an anal recorder of useless information!

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No such thing as useless information.

In that vein, I have just spent a couple of hours at an 'original skinhead' function. A lot of them are starting to look like 70s Teds in drape coats to my mind, which is very strange, but there was a very small but noticeable core that had something about them. Maybe they had age on their side.

Last edited:

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
A lot of them are starting to look like 70s Teds in drape coats to my mind, which is very strange, but there was a very small but noticeable core that had something about them. Maybe they had age on their side.

Like this?(this aint me)

tumblr_o7dykd6B371r6r45zo1_1280.jpg

Think it looks daft to be honest, going far too much into ted territory, would look better as an ordinary jacket imo. If i wanted a coat/jacket that length i would wear a crombie.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like this?(this aint me)

tumblr_o7dykd6B371r6r45zo1_1280.jpg

Think it looks daft to be honest, going far too much into ted territory, would look better as an ordinary jacket imo. If i wanted a coat/jacket that length i would wear a crombie.

That's it, with a velvet collar too. I have no idea what that might be, more like a covert coat than a crombie

Last edited:

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
That's it, I have no idea what that might be, more like a covert coat than a crombie

Something that should of stayed on the drawing board tbh, the 50's teds looked pretty good with their outfits, that just looks like the tailor forgot shorten the jacket to me.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a very idiosyncratic look. Would be better off with a crombie like you said, but you couldn't wear one indoors.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
That’s actually reminiscent of how the girls wore suits.

Gsvs5

Reaction score
What I bought in 2017

Two pr Merrell Wilderness Hiking Boots
One pr Tods Dk Brn Suede Chukka Boots
One pr Tods Black Suede Oxfords
North Face Base Camp Duffel
Gant Brown Patch Pocket Corduroy Blazer
Facconable Navy Corduroy 2 pc Suit
Iron Heart 1955 Jeans
Grey Tru-Spec 24-7 Series Xpedition Pants

Future 2018 possibilities :

CJ Weymouth2 wholecuts
Johnston & Murphy Malek Jogger
Lands End L/S Pima crew T's
Replace my Barbour International with something comparable from Barbour or Belstaff?

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's the look goes on..., of a sort.

The 'original skinhead' lot seem to be co-opting the 70s in the same way the 'original mod' lot have co-opted the swirly dresses and go-go boots of the 60s. Not historically accurate but it does have possibilities as an alternative evolution from a starting point in the past.

It will be interesting to see where it goes. This seems to typify it, for the girls at least. Some fairly novel things in there, by accident or design, not just retro.

https://www.instagram.com/rashaswais/

Wonder when they will get on to the cheesecloth blouses and broderie anglais skirts? Or patchwork, for that all-over Solatios look.

Last edited:

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
I guess it's the look goes on..., of a sort.

The 'original skinhead' lot seem to be co-opting the 70s in the same way the 'original mod' lot have co-opted the swirly dresses and go-go boots of the 60s. Not historically accurate but it does have possibilities as an alternative evolution from a starting point in the past.

It will be interesting to see where it goes. This seems to typify it, for the girls at least. Some fairly novel things in there, by accident or design not just retro.

https://www.instagram.com/rashaswais/

Wonder when they will get on to the cheesecloth blouses and broderie anglais skirts? Or patchwork, for that all-over Solatios look.

I think the look moving on is alright within reason, its a bit easy to go too far though imo, like what has evidenced last page. I doubt that bloke consciously wanted his jacket to look like a ladies jacket but it does a bit.

Not that im a style god, and i have a few items like a tartan suit jacket what would not of been worn most likely but its a reasonable evolution imo.

There is things im not particulary fond of from that era too like two tone tonik, always looked a bit too flash for my taste.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More A look goes on...As you say, not historically accurate but then I wonder how many other elements that we hold dear are really entirely accurate.

But what I especially dislike about the guy in the vomit-coloured suit is just how over-designed it all is. The beauty of the Look of 1969 /70 was its simplicity. Compare his suit with this fairly accurate portrayal of the one I knew and loved.

1970 Ruder.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads