• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "gecko shirt"

kirkland

Reaction score
I came across a brief reference to the "Gecko Shirt" which Michael Douglas ("Gordon Gecko") wore in the film Wall
Street---Does anyone have any details on this shirt, such as what distinguishes it? Was it designed by Alan Flusser, who also designed Mr. Douglas's suits for the film?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine they're referring to a dress shirt with a colored body (usually blue) and a white collar, with or without white cuffs - as opposed to a specific "Gecko cut". No idea if Flusser made the shirts as well as the suits for Wall Street, sorry. I'd say... probably.

masterfred

Reaction score
It is my understanding that Flusser did indeed design Gekko's wardrobe. In addition, there are a couple of things about those "Gekko" shirts: one is a white collared shirt with horizontal, not vertical stripes on the shirt body; another unusual shirt is one with striped collar, cuffs, and body, all cut the opposite ways stripes are usually done (i.e., horizontal stripes on the body, collar stripes sitting at almost right angles to the face, if that makes sense. I was always piss poor at geometry).

I also seem to remember reading an article around the time the movie was released that interviewed several actual Wall Street brokers, and their verdict was that Gecko's style was too "brash," and would communicate untrustworthiness to clients; chalk up Gekko's movie "look" to dramatic license.......

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the movie gekko was the investor, not the broker, and a multi-millionaire at that, so i don't think he'd be worried about looking 'brash'.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made the gekko shirts for "Wall Street". They were a take-off on a shirt I designed for Tom Wolfe in the early '80s. Tom and Alan were close friends at the time. Alan saw Tom in the shirt and asked if Tom would mind if he used the idea for Michael Douglas' movie wardrobe. Alan was the overall wardrobe designer for the movie. He came to me to design and make the shirts.
After the movie, the horizontal thing became quite the fad for about a year. We made hundreds of them.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm now inspired to go rent Wall Street and check out all the clothes - I myself am quite a big fan of the horizontally-striped shirt... Soooo, Alex... what kind of shirts do you wear? Do you have shirts with every kind of color, pattern, bias-cut, collar, cuff and stylistic detail, or do you wake up in the morning and say, "the hell with it... white shirt today."? Â
biggrin.gif

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Do you have shirts with every kind of color, pattern, bias-cut, collar, cuff and stylistic detail, or do you wake up in the morning and say, "the hell with it... white shirt today."?
There are so many patterns and possibilities, it can be difficult to choose. I would, however, stay away from a number of the latest trends which Jantzen Tailor and some of the Italian shirtmakers make available. Latest Shirt Styles

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you mean Geico
biggrin.gif
Just kidding. I actually have a blue and white horizontal stripe shirt with the white collar and french cuffs by Geoffrey Beene. I got it in the early 90's, but I didn't realize that it was inspired by the movie and didn't realize that they were popular because I've never seen anyone else wearing this style. I will say that I do still get compliments on it when I break it out. Bradford

jimboni

Reaction score
Do you have shirts with every kind of color, pattern, bias-cut, collar, cuff and stylistic detail, or do you wake up in the morning and say, "the hell with it... white shirt today."?
There are so many patterns and possibilities, it can be difficult to choose. Â I would, however, stay away from a number of the latest trends which Jantzen Tailor and some of the Italian shirtmakers make available. Latest Shirt Styles
you mean you don't like this style?
DSCF0003biastriplebuttonandouble.JPG
or this?
DSCF0443whiteundercollar.JPG

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote Do you have shirts with every kind of color, pattern, bias-cut, collar, cuff and stylistic detail, or do you wake up in the morning and say, "the hell with it... white shirt today."?
There are so many patterns and possibilities, it can be difficult to choose. Â I would, however, stay away from a number of the latest trends which Jantzen Tailor and some of the Italian shirtmakers make available. Latest Shirt Styles
you mean you don't like this style?
DSCF0003biastriplebuttonandouble.JPG
or this?
DSCF0443whiteundercollar.JPG
[/quote] I hate thes 2 shirts.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ridiculious.

Why not 5 buttons on collar ?....

WE pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads