• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

taking in the waist on dry denim?

billyhoyle

Reaction score
i know people say this is a bad idea, but if the stretching makes your waist look ridiculous without a belt, please tell me what the harm is????

assuming it wont ruin the look of the jeans, will this even work? or will your waist always stretch out to a certain point, regardless of how tight they originally start at?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also like to know this. I have a pair of APC Rescues that have gotten ridiculous. They're still great at the thighs but I'm going to need to get at least 2 inches lopped off the waist.

I have experience taking in one jean at the waist, a diesel jean, not dry. It worked great, couldn't even tell the difference.

prozach1576

Reaction score
My tailor said that taking in the waste isn't something you want to do to jeans if at all possible, just because of the way they're constructed. What she did with one of my pairs was bring down the back rise by moving down the waistband. It didn't change the circumference, but they sat a lot better with a belt.

billyhoyle

Reaction score
i've had regular jeans taken in at the waist with no problems. i dont see what the issue is, except with dry denim where stretching may or may not go right back to the same point. this is really what i'm asking.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You dont want to take in any waistband more than 2 inches. for the most part noticable darts will be added ( of course) but it can be done.
I do it ( not often) with women because they just have to have the jeans and their bodies are whacked.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
I got mine taken in one inch, and they turned out great. It's nice when you have a jean that you had to size up on because of the thighs.

I would say more than one or two inches would make the jeans look odd.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
My tailor said that taking in the waste isn't something you want to do to jeans if at all possible, just because of the way they're constructed. What she did with one of my pairs was bring down the back rise by moving down the waistband. It didn't change the circumference, but they sat a lot better with a belt.

You can also do this from the crotch. Rip up the entire inseam and sew it back together with a lower rise and, if you want, a slimmer leg. It's a great way to save an ill-fitting pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics