• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking care of business clothes?

Wooh

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, and while I hope to get into meatier discussion, I just needed a little advice.

I work at a place where I need to wear nice pants and shirts every day. I was just wondering what was the best protocol as far as frequency of dry cleaning, and how to take care of clothes that have been worn but not yet dry cleaned? Any tips and tricks? Tips not just for shirts and pants but for belts, shoes, etc would be lovely as well.

I want to upgrade my wardrobe rather significantly, but am afraid that my investment in better clothing will be wasted if I ruin it inadvertently.

If there is a thread that covers the subject, please link me...Is earched a bit and couldn't find one, though.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd minimize dry-cleaning to when your clothes really need it (like when they're stained). Dry-cleaning is really bad for them. A day to relax on a hanger and some steam go a long way. I brush my wool clothes (pants, jackets) after every wearing to remove dirt. Most of my clothes have never been dry-cleaned.

Launder shirts after every wearing, but don't get them starched--if you want to take the best care of them possible, have them hand-pressed or iron them yourself.

base615

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, far from it however some things I've picked up and incorporated into my routine are; 1. Never dry clean cotton shirts as it weakens the fabric. I wash mine, hang them to dry and iron them when just a tiny but damp. 2. Dry clean suits as infrequently as possible. When I take my suit off, I brush it with a clothes brush and steam it (if I can be arsed
smile.gif
). This seems to take care of it pretty well and I dryclean maybe once every 20 wearings now, this may be detrimental and some people may say dryclean it less but I'm worried about stinking. 3. As soon as I take my shoes off I rub polish on them but don't buff them up. I generally buff them up the next day and this seems to give them a nice shine. Some people talk about using conditoner and I'll preobably get some soon but I haven't yet. Hopefully this isn't bad advice and if it is can someone please overrule me poste haste. Cheers, Craig

Wooh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd minimize dry-cleaning to when your clothes really need it (like when they're stained). Dry-cleaning is really bad for them. A day to relax on a hanger and some steam go a long way. I brush my wool clothes (pants, jackets) after every wearing to remove dirt. Most of my clothes have never been dry-cleaned.

Launder shirts after every wearing, but don't get them starched--if you want to take the best care of them possible, have them hand-pressed or iron them yourself.

This is very interesting. If dry cleaning is bad for them...then how should one take care of them? Ok, so you mention a brush...but beyond that, I mean, these are clothes that you wear with some frequency. How do you avoid the issue of just general personal grime that builds on them? you mentioned steam...do you just use the iron for that, or have something else?

Also, what is hand-pressing?

Can shirts be laundered even they say to only be dry cleaned? ie a silk shirt or 100% cotton shirt, etc.

Thanks for your response. I clearly have a lot to learn.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I dry clean my clothes once per year as rule - usually after some sort of spill happens. For shirts, I have to admit I wear them twice before I wash them unless there is some reason not too. I don't sweat much (not even when running stairs) so i find wearing a shirt twice is no big deal.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wooh
This is very interesting. If dry cleaning is bad for them...then how should one take care of them? Ok, so you mention a brush...but beyond that, I mean, these are clothes that you wear with some frequency. How do you avoid the issue of just general personal grime that builds on them? you mentioned steam...do you just use the iron for that, or have something else?

You can use steam from your iron, buy a dedicated steamer, or hang up your clothes while you shower. I don't understand the mechanics of it, but wool is kind of self-cleaning. Steam takes care of a lot, and brushing takes care of the rest. 'Personal grime' should be no problem.

Also, what is hand-pressing?

Using an iron.

Can shirts be laundered even they say to only be dry cleaned? ie a silk shirt or 100% cotton shirt, etc.

A standard dress shirt should be washable--in fact, I can't remember owning one that couldn't be, regardless of price or origin. If your 100% cotton dress shirts say they must be dry-cleaned, I'd start looking for another place to buy shirts.

Don't wear silk shirts. You're not a pirate.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tips not just for shirts and pants but for belts, shoes, etc would be lovely as well.

Put shoe trees in your shoes as soon as you take off your shoes.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hang and rotate my belts. Wear shirts twice before washing and ironing and hang them on good hangers. Use shoe trees, buff them weekly, polish and condition every 3 weeks or so. Brush my suits and try to treat everything well.

Do those simple things and your clothes should last ages.

lbcgav

Reaction score
What needs to be established is what you mean by "nice clothes." If you mean wool slacks and jackets, then the preceding recommendations apply. If, however, you simply mean cotton slacks, then these can be washed in the washing machine and hang dried, followed by a hand-pressing. You might want to turn them inside out before you throw them into the machine. Shirts, as suggested above can either be professionally laundered (not dry cleaned) and pressed with little or no starch, or washed in a machine and hang dried and pressed at home.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody have a good clothes brush recommendation that won't break the bank (<$50)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads