• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring a Barbour Coat

mburl

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a barbour bedale equestrian coat, and was wondering about making some modifications to the fit. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience doing this to a barbour coat.

thanks,

MB

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fascination with altering things. Looking at mine I doubt it as you would be likely to destroy the weather proof integrity of the seams etc.

Why not contact Barbour directly and seek their advice rather than rely on amateur thoughts which is the best any of us can supply?

Beware of traders who say they can make alterations, they can tell lies as well.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fascination with altering things.

Why are you surprised at the fascination with altering things?

Isn't this the same place where you get advice like "right sleeve needs1/2 inch; left sleeve 1/4 inch; add 1 inch to the length; reduce yolk by 1/2 inch; break in the pants too much, shorten with either half or quarter inch slant to the back"?

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

I just got a barbour bedale equestrian coat, and was wondering about making some modifications to the fit. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience doing this to a barbour coat.

thanks,

MB
I've tailored a quilted Barbour with great success. It now fits like a glove. I haven't had experience altering with their waxed jackets, but assume it's basically the same thing.

bullethead

Reaction score
I've had the sleeves lengthened on mine-done through their shop. results were as they said they would be

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my Barbour jacket's sleeves lengthened and the jacket rewaxed by http://newenglandreproofers.com/index.html in New Hampshire. I'm pretty sure I got this site from the Barbour website itself, so they are the real deal. I sent it in and they called me prior to doing the alterations to give me the price. I would imagine any tailoring would require a rewaxing afterwards to seal things up. I seem to remember paying $100+ for my job and have to imagine that any serious tailoring (slimming the body, etc.) would be easily $200. Not sure I would trust my local tailor with a Barbour (for instance, to slim a Beaufort would entail dealing with the rear "pocket" - I don't know about the Bedale).

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why are you surprised at the fascination with altering things?
Isn't this the same place where you get advice like "right sleeve needs1/2 inch; left sleeve 1/4 inch; add 1 inch to the length; reduce yolk by 1/2 inch; break in the pants too much, shorten with either half or quarter inch slant to the back"?

Suits are to some extent built with with minor alterations in mind. Barbours are in many instances in tended to be weather proof and seams etc are treated differently. Additionally out door clothing is seen in a different light and alterations are surely superflouous.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suits are to some extent built with with minor alterations in mind. Barbours are in many instances in tended to be weather proof and seams etc are treated differently. Additionally out door clothing is seen in a different light and alterations are surely superflouous.

:rolleyes:

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
buy the right size Barbour jacket and then don't worry about the tailoring.

How often does one need to re-wax a Barbour? Any rule of thumb guideline?

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"How often does one need to re-wax a Barbour? Any rule of thumb guideline?"
I have a bunch of Barbour stuff. My favorite jacket, which I've had one year, has been rewaxed once, and touched up once. Then again I wear it pretty much every day. Hats, bags, and my other jacket I've all had for over a year and a half and never needed to rewax.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had mine altered extensively. It was simple, even though it was quilted as well. It hasn't affected the waterproofing at all, I've worn it quite a bit. I've had the sleeves narrowed slightly, the waist taken in, and I've had the crappy paper faux leather looking buttons swapped out for some beautiful natural horn ones. It's one of my favorite casual coats. I guess you could call it a barn coat? I don't think I paid much more than $60 for everything alterations wise, and I'm very happy with the results. Although, I can't layer the coat much since it's slimmer now.

I had the overall length shortened. I needed a much larger size to have the sleeve and shoulder length I needed, being 6'3", but it was too wide and too long. I had a tailor shape a nice lower quarter that ran right along the bottom of the the front pocket making it the right length for me. Plus I had him close the rear center vent, I didn't like how it seemed to bell out, and honestly, it felt very drafty with it open so high in the back.

The sleeves were really big and loose originally.

The natural horn buttons add quite a bit to the look without looking out of place.

I had the buttons moved slightly over, to make a snugger fit, since I only wear the jacket over thin cotton shirts or lightweight sweatshirts.

On the original design, the bottom of the coat extended a good 3.5+ inches below the bottom of the pocket. Getting the size I needed for shoulder and sleeve length ended up leaving me with a coat that extended so far below ****** that it would get caught up when I sat down.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads