• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor old suits vs Buy new suits

Mo Hannibal

Reaction score
As a neophyte to high-end menswear (with somewhat limited means, to boot) this is a question I've wrestled with.

Ex., I bought a Brioni off of ebay for $400. Fuzzy pictures--I figured that at least I would end up with a very nice odd jacket (150's "tweed"). Spent another $400 at the tailors (shoulders, sleeves, slight shortening of jacket, a little work on pants length [cuffed], etc.). Result is nice, but not perfect (distance from top of jacket pocket to bottom of jacket is just slightly too small, but OK, for example).

I recently had a Samuelsohn rep do me up for a MTM for a third again of the total cost of the Brioni. I don't have it yet, but the model (Gable) OTR was very close and I suspect the finished product will be very nice, indeed.

Bottom line is that the extra effort and time on the Brioni I put in probably offsets the difference in price paid--though I did end up with a not-quite perfect Brioni as opposed to a much-closer-to-perfect Sammy.

My suspicion is that I'll probably end up being happier with the MTM, than the reclamation project. That's not to say that I won't try it again, though, but I will definitely "pick my spots" very carefully to do so...

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I am still to find a suit OTR to fit me precisely how I want it. Even when I buy new, I still tailor most of my clothes.

e zegna milano. enough said

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
If the suits are of good quality and are timeless then tailoring them may be most cost effective. Otherwise, it would be to your advantage to purchase a couple of quality suits that will last for a while and overtime you can change out the accessories which will give you a new look with the same suit.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
I ran across a thread previous in which a poster suggested using a pool of money to tailor old clothes rather than buying a new wardrobe. That's an interesting idea, and I think that it's good advice. However, my question is how far does it go; when does the cost outweigh the benefit? Let's say that the "old" suits are your simple lower line Jos A Bank/Men's Wearhouse/house brand quality suits (not much wear on them), and the tailoring will be in the $100-$150 price range. Would you opt for tailoring a few of these suits or buying 1 or 2 higher quality ones? Why?

I think if the suits are yours and you like the suits for whatever reason and the tailoring required is/are minor then keep them. If major tailoring is needed then buy new ones.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As soon as I realized how ill-fitting a lot of my older clothes were, I took a few jackets to the tailor to be shortened in the sleeves and length-- haven't messed with the shoulders of anything because I feel like the cost would outweigh the enjoyment of getting something new.

But that said, once those pieces were tailored it was like having a completely new piece that I truly enjoy wearing. Maybe set a limit of $75 per piece or some percentage of the total cost and see what you can do with that at the tailor vs. what you could buy new with that same money.

skeet

Reaction score
I have a couple suits that are on the lower quality spectrum, Jos A, that I need to be tailored. I purchased them a year ago and since have slimmed down quite a bite. I am wondering how much tailoring is possible...?
Can I taper the pants, make them more slim fit, ... decrease the waist size, shorten the jacket length...?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa