• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor etiquette

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here so please forgive me. I just secured an appointment with Tom Mahon for my first bespoke suit. I was just wondering what the etiquette was in terms of what I wear when I go in, tips, etc.? Any advice?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will probably help the garment creation process if it's your first meeting to wear something that you have that you think fits you well, so that he can see it on you and so you can discuss how you want your bespoke garment to be different. It's not a matter of etiquette but, rather, will likely be helpful for the actual garment creation. After that you could probably wear sweatpants to fittings for all he cares! Whatever makes you comfortable.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on the process and how you like the end result.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure I totally understand the question, but tips (as in the folding green stuff) are not necessary or even desirable. When you get to know him better, he might be amenable to a drink or dinner.

Do wear your best-fitting suit to the meeting, and have a pretty clear idea (or a plan to get one) about what you want the suit for. Cold or hot weather? Day or evening? Work or play? M-F or the weekend? Etc.

I'd avoid any check pattern, and would actually suggest a solid for your first pass. If Thomas has to make any major adjustments later on, it will go a lot easier.

Your tailor should be a good resource for this, but if you've never chosen fabric before, remember that for worsteds, 13oz and higher is generally for the cold months (we're just coming off that period in New England), 11-12 is a good 3-season weight that can make it through the winter if you don't insist on the best crease resistance or drape, and flannels always feel warmer than the same weight worsted. 11-12oz flannel, for example, is perfectly fine through the winter and can seem stifling on a warm spring day.

Good luck, and report back.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thomas will guide you and ask all the pertinent questions. Like the others have said a tailored jacket and trouser will be a great help. It will serve as a base to discuss fit and styling from. Avoid wearing jeans or cotton khakis. Very difficult to measure from. Wear a dress shirt and decent shoes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
conc - im pretty sure by tips he meant advice or hints, not a gratuity jar on the counter
smile.gif
touched on in despos post - get the shoes right for the fittings. Not a time for sneakers or loafers, make sure you are wearing a shoe that is similar in style and shape to what you will regularly wearing with the trousers.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Use one of the Molloy techniques.

Go to the tailor in a suit, rack or otherwise, but one that you usually wear. Wear the shoes (or similar) you intend to wear with your future bespoke and also shirt (or similar). Also carry what you usually carry in your pockets. When you go in ask for a critique on your current look, and discuss this with him

Then when you go in for your fittings, carry the same items with you, and have them balanced with the new bespoke.

M8

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Use one of the Molloy techniques.

Go to the tailor in a suit, rack or otherwise, but one that you usually wear. Wear the shoes (or similar) you intend to wear with your future bespoke and also shirt (or similar). Also carry what you usually carry in your pockets. When you go in ask for a critique on your current look, and discuss this with him

Then when you go in for your fittings, carry the same items with you, and have them balanced with the new bespoke.

M8

This sounds like good advice, I never thought of it but will try to remember for when I have a suit tailored by Thomas ...
dozingoff.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Tibo, this is good advice even if you go to a smaller, less expensive tailor.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When you have the things you carry with you, make sure Thomas is aware of them and discuss where you carry them. Interior pockets can be sized, created,modified, added, deleted for your personal habits. I make pockets sized for sunglasses, cigars, blackberry, cell phone, etc. There are options of flaps or buttons to secure these pockets too. These ar the personal touches that make going custom special.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you go do wear either a suit whose style you want to follow or your best fitting suit - never wear casual clothes.

Do give a lot of thought to:

What you want to wear the suit for - that will aid cloth/colour style.

What you prefer to have but be prepared to discuss - although do not be pushed about however politely. Tom Mahon may not like it BUT you will be wearing it.

Then think about every piece of detail from pockets (Size position fastening etc to button zip fly and cuffs anda whole lot more.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think that this was mentioned - forgive me if it was - but you should also fill the pockets of your suit with the stuff you usually carry around - wallet, mobile, keys, coins, etc. etc.

I tend to carry quite a bit of junk around in my pockets, so this would be a somewhat important factor for me.

Good luck, and do report back!

Edit:
When you have the things you carry with you, make sure Thomas is aware of them and discuss where you carry them. Interior pockets can be sized, created,modified, added, deleted for your personal habits. I make pockets sized for sunglasses, cigars, blackberry, cell phone, etc. There are options of flaps or buttons to secure these pockets too. These ar the personal touches that make going custom special.

Oops, sorry-

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Don't think that this was mentioned - forgive me if it was - but you should also fill the pockets of your suit with the stuff you usually carry around - wallet, mobile, keys, coins, etc. etc.

I tend to carry quite a bit of junk around in my pockets, so this would be a somewhat important factor for me.

Good luck, and do report back!

Edit:

Oops, sorry-

If there's an echo in here. It just means we are thinking good fashion sense.
thumbs-up.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads