• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sutor Mantellassi: quality question

RLPL Junkie

Reaction score
Having read several posts on these shoes, I now understand that like the Santoni's, there are better quality Sutors and lower quality (which are still pretty darn nice).... My question is... how can I tell the difference? Is the label different? What is this one? (see pic)
Thank you in advance!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two things, your original post is only about two hours old and Mantellassi have been spoken about here ad nauseam. Quick recap, great shoes, the handmade line (script insole) is as good as most RTW shoes and the ones you posted are most likely a "regular" line but still very good quality and most here buy them on discount (from lance at virtualclotheshorse.com). You probably have not gotten any responses because people like to see that you searched the forum before posting a question. Also, if you post the soles, they are easier to identify.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Sutor Mantellassis, one in the mid-range and one in the top-range. The mid-range shoes, zippered tan ankle boots, are probably my favourite shoes and a lot better than other shoes I paid a comparable price for (got them from virtualclotheshorse). In the 2 or more years I've owned them, the leather has gone from a light tobacco to a rich reddish-tan, which looks fantastic.

The top-range SMs have extensive tack work on the sole, especially around the toe and now all seem to have blue soles.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
That's the same label as my mid-range pair, so I would say it was of the same tier. Might be an old label though, it looks a bit antiquated. I'm sure someone with superior knowledge should be able to clarify.

RLPL Junkie

Reaction score
By looking at the soles of these Sutors, can you help me figure out if they are the higher end shoe or the mid range shoe.... I just post the pic of the soles. If these are the mid level shoes how do they compare to the $520 SF captoe (quality wise)?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even the regular line is very well made and of very high quality, it just doesn't have the bells & whistles of the top line like antique finish, Norwegian welt, hand-stitched apron. If it's just a pair of basic black lace-up, you don't really need all the B&W. I have a pair of regular line that is holding up extremely well after years of wearing.

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
I have a pair of sutors from STP that I got two years ago. Very nice. it is the split toe reverse stitch split toe that they often have on sale. terrific shoe. A little wide at the teo box and a little shorter than the somewhat narrower santoni and testoni that i have, but a firm favorite nonetheless. FWIW.

letsgofire

Reaction score
anyone know how these Sutor's are? Are they GYW?

Can't see the bottom, so it's hard to say for sure. The styles in this price range usually are their top of their quality level.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d put my money on mid level Blake make to be honest...decent shoes but have a hard time seeing them being worth 900$

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads