• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Super Strict Recomp Diet

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is for anyone who is currently on, or considering a recomp. I'm starting tomorrow, and going 2 weeks at a time without cheating - then having a cheat day where I'll probably have 1 or 2 cheat meals.

The trainers at my gym have had great results with it, and one (a girl) has made a tremendous transformation over 3 months. Basically, everything you eat is weighed. Everything. Lots of cooking then packing so your meals are planned for the day. That means no eating out, no alcohol, etc.

The diet consists mostly of:

Chicken
Broccoli
Sweet Potato
Avocado
Olive Oil
Tuna
Fruit - mine will probably be apple or some type of berry
Tilapia
Whey when needed post workout

and so on. The idea being to maintain muscle and lose fat, while possibly building muscle in the process. In the past, I've said that gaining muscle while losing fat is not possible (without drugs) for the average person. My reason being that, even if it were physically possible, most people are unwillingly or incapable of sticking to a diet and training program that would make this possible. This will be my experiment to see if it's possible for me. Would like to get other's opinions that have tried recomps before as to what your diet was like. It is my contention that without going balls to the wall on your diet (and training), recomps are almost always a failure - or so minimally successful that they aren't worth the time.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't the point, but how much below maintenance will you be aiming for? And how many times per week will you work out?

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
This thread is for anyone who is currently on, or considering a recomp. I'm starting tomorrow, and going 2 weeks at a time without cheating - then having a cheat day where I'll probably have 1 or 2 cheat meals.

*snip*

Also, could you expand on this some? From my understanding, cheat days are for 'resetting' metabolism. But I'm not sure I really understand what that means. Is it so your body is digesting/metabolizing at the rate of the cheat day even when you are at a deficit? If your body recognized the massive amount of food and adapts quickly, why doesn't it also adapt quickly back to the diet rate.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
I know this isn't the point, but how much below maintenance will you be aiming for? And how many times per week will you work out?
I'm going to be aiming for 2500 calories to start, and see where I'm at after 2 weeks. The owner of my gym who has had success with it is about my size and he's right around there. It's been a while since I've eaten at maintenance so I'm going to have to find that sweet spot again. I'll be training 4-5 days per week with lifting 3 days and another day or two of interval/metabolic conditioning.
Originally Posted by Rambo
Looks like we won't be getting that beer after all
My first cheat day will be right before my surgery, so a beer could be in the works. Either way I have no problem being out without drinking beer. There's always water. I had some concerns about starting this diet before my surgery being that I won't be lifting for 2 weeks, but I figured that eating very clean is the best way to cope with being out of commission for 2 weeks.
Originally Posted by phreak
Also, could you expand on this some? From my understanding, cheat days are for 'resetting' metabolism. But I'm not sure I really understand what that means. Is it so your body is digesting/metabolizing at the rate of the cheat day even when you are at a deficit? If your body recognized the massive amount of food and adapts quickly, why doesn't it also adapt quickly back to the diet rate.
The purpose of the cheat meal every 2 weeks is to keep me sane, as the diet is very strict. That's it, really. While there may be ancillary benefits (or even negatives) to doing it, I feel as though it's necessary to keep me motivated in on track for maintaining this diet for several months. My cheat meals aren't what most would consider to be a cheat. I'm not talking about a large pizza and a container of ice cream - just some food that isn't so bland.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My first cheat day will be right before my surgery, so a beer could be in the works. Either way I have no problem being out without drinking beer. There's always water. I had some concerns about starting this diet before my surgery being that I won't be lifting for 2 weeks, but I figured that eating very clean is the best way to cope with being out of commission for 2 weeks.
You'll gain weight while you're out of commission so dieting before hand is the smart move. Let me know when you want to get drank.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strict diets generally fail (not to discourage)

I am not sure it is even necessary for a recomp, as you have a lot of room for non-essential calories.

Do what you want, but I would shoot for 1.25g/lb protein, and then let the chips fall as they may. Just keep the simple carbs & alcohol to a minimum, but not 100% for 13 days in a row. You'll get 99% of the results w/1% of the headache/insanity

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Strict diets generally fail (not to discourage)

I am not sure it is even necessary for a recomp, as you have a lot of room for non-essential calories.

Do what you want, but I would shoot for 1.25g/lb protein, and then let the chips fall as they may. Just keep the simple carbs & alcohol to a minimum, but not 100% for 13 days in a row. You'll get 99% of the results w/1% of the headache/insanity

I've dieted strictly before, so I'm not worried about being able to stick with it. My normal diet is fairly clean, anyway. I think you're right when it comes to someone that is overweight and attempting to get into shape - a very strict diet will probably fail. I've seen the diet work fast, and work well - and I think all of that hinges on the fact that it's very strict. I don't think it will be as effective as I'd like it to be if I start compromising here and there.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've dieted strictly before, so I'm not worried about being able to stick with it. My normal diet is fairly clean, anyway. I think you're right when it comes to someone that is overweight and attempting to get into shape - a very strict diet will probably fail. I've seen the diet work fast, and work well - and I think all of that hinges on the fact that it's very strict. I don't think it will be as effective as I'd like it to be if I start compromising here and there.
You wouldn't have to compromise much. But leaving some room for the occasional indulgence when you need to is prob a better idea. I guess "strict" is in the eye of the beholder, but my point is going super strict doesn't yield super duper results... esp when you are already relatively lean (<10%)

whallyden

Reaction score
On day 14 of RFL here. Down 9 lbs. and 1 in. around the waist. ~700 cal deficit per day. Don't miss the carbs, but sure do miss the vino.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the diet going so far?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
How is the diet going so far?

Good so far. Some days are easier than others. Really miss pasta, bread, and milk - but it's not THAT tough yet. First cheat day will be the weekend after this - planning on drinking lots of milk - and probably going out to eat.

A.Rhyming.Ape

Reaction score
No point in posting the foods you are eating if you don't post your macros or macro ratios. Are you doing 40p/30f/30c? 60p/30f/10c?

ie. its better to eat fast food every day while still hitting your macronutrient needs than fruits and broccoli while not eating enough EFA's and protein.

italo

Reaction score
Recomposition=something from Lyle McDonald or leangains.com. That PT diet looks weak.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.Rhyming.Ape
No point in posting the foods you are eating if you don't post your macros or macro ratios. Are you doing 40p/30f/30c? 60p/30f/10c?

ie. its better to eat fast food every day while still hitting your macronutrient needs than fruits and broccoli while not eating enough EFA's and protein.

I thought it would be assumed that any person trying a recomp would understand how much protein their body needs.

So far, so good. Still making strength gains and I'm down a few pounds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics