• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Suit

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I'm considering ordering a tropical wool suit and need to ask for some swatches. The thing is, almost all of my suits are charcoal or navy, with a medium grey and some pinstripes thrown in there too.

I need a recommendation for a color on a nice summer suit. Anyone?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm considering ordering a tropical wool suit and need to ask for some swatches.  The thing is, almost all of my suits are charcoal or navy, with a medium grey and some pinstripes thrown in there too.

I need a recommendation for a color on a nice summer suit.  Anyone?
you can't wear navy in the summer?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a rather light grey that I eally liked, it had just a hint of blue in it. Seemed to work nicely in summer sun.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering ordering a tropical wool suit and need to ask for some swatches.  The thing is, almost all of my suits are charcoal or navy, with a medium grey and some pinstripes thrown in there too.

I need a recommendation for a color on a nice summer suit.  Anyone?
I love tan in cotton/cashmere for summer. But you want wool, I would look at Taupe, or an olive plaid perhaps.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
what's your hair color, skin color?
Should have mentioned this.

I'm half-chinese, so I have an olive complexion with dark hair and dark eyes. Also, "lean" and "tall" are not words I use to describe myself, so I generally stay away from windowpane and plaids.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you really have to look at your personal coloring. for example,i like the way tan suits look on other people, but the color clashes somewhat with my skin tone. if your going with wool, light grey could be nice. you could also wear it on any warm day. it was 80 degrees here a couple of days ago.
cool.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Tan, light gray, and harbor or slate blue all make great summer colors. Olive also looks good, but I like it better in cotton or maybe linen than in tropical wool. "Mustard" is a sort of tan/yellow/brown that looks lovely in linen. Glen plaid is nice, and summer glen plaids come in very light shades.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure I can. Â But do I need a 4th navy suit?
sorry, all of my suits are dark blue or dark gray, and I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want more gray and blue suits
wink.gif
actually I do like a dark blue or gray summer suit - it's not uncommon to find yourself in a room with a bunch of guys in green and brown summer suits and you look very nice in contrast in a dark suit. or so I tell myself.....

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with medium blue, medium brown, medium/light gray. I think off-white/ecru/bone would look good too, but I dunno how open to that idea you'd be; might be a little too pimptastic for most tastes.

Look for blends with linen, cotton, mohair, and/or silk, and ask for something with an open or loose weave, if possible.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
matlock_ben.jpg
You can't go wrong with the Matlock look Â
tounge.gif
Bradford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads