• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit problems

fusherino

Reaction score
i bought two rl black label suits during the sale in may but just am not happy with them. i bought 42r as opposed to my regular 40r because of the slim fit and now regret it. just a little too wide in the shoulders for me to be happy. i have a few questions about what i should do:

1) does anyone know a tailor in the sf bay area who would be willing to screw with the shoulders? i know this is not recommended but i think i am willing to take the risk if a talanted tailor is willing to try.

2) the suits have never been worn, but are without tags and haev been altered. the jacket had a little taken out to lower the collar. the pants are hemmed to appox 30 inches and nearly an inch taken out of the seat. any estimates on what i could sell these for on these forums? retail was 1799, payed 1000.

3) any other suggestions?

i was pretty sure when i bought them id be unhappy. doh!

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLBL suits are cut wide at the shoulders despite its 'slim fit', IME.

Which part of bay area do you live in?

7173jhn

Reaction score
You should consider cutting your losses and selling them on ebay or here but mabye wait a little while since everyone is broke from all the recent sales. It could be fairly expensive to transform a suit jacket by a good tailor and even then you might not be that happy with it.

gamblor

Reaction score
Are larger sizes something RLBL pushes?

I went to an in-store boutique last week in San Francisco. The SA looked at me and suggested a 42, I laughed and said 38. He then made me try on the 42, as soon as I slipped it on I knew it was way too large but he insisted I look at it in the mirror saying it looked close even though it was falling off the shoulders.

Next he pulled a 40 which was still to large even though the SA said it was perfect. He didn't want to show me a 38 saying it would be too tight and pull, I wanted to try myself but the boutique was small and he was hovering around.

Falling for this kind of line is what gave me 4 ill fitting suits before finding SF.

cvac

Reaction score
I would learn to be much more firm with salesmen in the future. No reason you shouldn't have been able to try on the suit you wanted to try on.

Originally Posted by gamblor
Are larger sizes something RLBL pushes?

I went to an in-store boutique last week in San Francisco. The SA looked at me and suggested a 42, I laughed and said 38. He then made me try on the 42, as soon as I slipped it on I knew it was way too large but he insisted I look at it in the mirror saying it looked close even though it was falling off the shoulders.

Next he pulled a 40 which was still to large even though the SA said it was perfect. He didn't want to show me a 38 saying it would be too tight and pull, I wanted to try myself but the boutique was small and he was hovering around.

Falling for this kind of line is what gave me 4 ill fitting suits before finding SF.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
I would learn to be much more firm with salesmen in the future. No reason you shouldn't have been able to try on the suit you wanted to try on.

I'm sure in retrospect this is what he will have learned, but he said this was before finding SF. So from that I'm guessing that he may have been slightly unsure what a properly fitting suit actually should be to disagree. It's hard to argue a point that you aren't even confident in your stance at the time.

fusherino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac

of course its my fault, and my loss, but i would say that it was the pressure of the sa that made me think the 42r fit better than it did. that is to say i was a little skeptical, but he managed to convince me they looked perfect. but yes, every time i have gone to the polo store they make try on 42s, and i have to insist on 40. the only difference this time is that the 40 in black label was actually not the right size. i must finally admit black label is not for me.

fusherino

Reaction score
so i feel like this suit is fitting me unfashionably wide and full. do people agree? do people care? pics from my imac, apologies.
Photo21.jpg
Photo25.jpg
in comparison a suit i feel fits much better
Photo9.jpg
pics: http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk204/fushmanchu/

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fusherino
so i feel like this suit is fitting me unfashionably wide and full. do people agree? do people care? pics from my imac, apologies.

For some reason the RLBL suit looks slimmer at waist even when unbuttoned. But it definitely looks a bit lose on the shoulders/chest. I think the shoulder measurement is about 1" too wide on the RLBL vs. the one you think fits better.

fusherino

Reaction score
yes the measurement is about an inch different, maybe a tiny bit less. i think the narrow waist of the bl makes the shoulders look even wider. i guess my issue is then a combo of the silhouette and fit. the top pics are 42r black label, bottom 40r purple.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you sell you will take a beating.
if the trousers fit and the shoulders are the only thing that bothers you, check with your tailor.
get his price, it just may be better than selling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads