• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Needed for Wedding in December - I'm Heading to New York

knezz

Reaction score
Greetings,

I need a suit for a wedding. I need to have it by the first week of December I’m a little less than 3 hours from New York. I have $700.00 to spend on the suit. This will be my restart as I lost a bit of weight. Nothing fits anymore but it wasn’t all that great anyhow. I’m thinking a darker blue suit as it will be a beginning. I feel blue would be more versatile. I was thinking of grey but I’m not sure of grey for a wedding. I wanted something crisp and well fitting that can be accessorized well.

I’m looking for:
Fully Canvassed
Functional buttonholes
More of a modern fit but not too progressive
Two Buttons
Medium wide lapels
Center Vented - double vents will do
Flat Front - Medium Slim Trousers

I’m looking at driving to Suit Supply, Century 21, Hickey Epaulet and any other place that someone may recommend in New York City or close by. I’m willing to drive to one of the outlets if anyone feels that I might have some success. I’m usually a 46R. Also I’m looking for a couple of sport coats and pocket squares.but they aren't the priority.

Can this be done for the price in your opinion?

Any additional suggestions??

Regards,
K. Nezz

Last edited:

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score
Gonna be very tough to get that in your price range with that timeline, depending on how set you are on the full canvas part. Kent Wang might be able to accommodate that timeline, but it would certainly be tight I'd think. Suitsupply would probably be a good option, but their full canvas is more like 1k, and I dont think they sell anything with a center vent. It might be possible to find a southwick or samuelsohn on sale that would cover all your bases, but chances are slim that it would be a solid staple suit. Good luck in your search.

knezz

Reaction score
Well I might have to make that $1,000.00 and 1/3 of my cash for shoes not by the Carmina shoes.I will just wear a pair that I already have. Any other options now that I'm willing to spend $1K ?

When I looked at a few suits on the Suit Supply web site I thought they said canvassed.. I will look a little closer.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuitSupply's RTW stuff is half-canvassed. You sound new to suits- I'd recommend going with Suitsupply for the fit & price, and it has most of what you seek. I'd recommend Kent Wang made-to-measure, but it's too late for that.

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
give up the desire for full canvas . Half canvas suit will be just fine in quality.
forget the working buttonholes. those are a unnecessary extra.

Try Rothmans's on park ave south and 18th st.
Sarar. on madison ave and 46th st.

if you are coming from upstate, try woodbury commons.

knezz

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time out to make a suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics