• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Fit Advice

Should I keep it or return it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guitarmaster13

Reaction score
IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_7245.JPG

Does this suit look bad on me? Why?

Thanks

Lyman

Reaction score
Compared to some on this forum, my knowledge is rather rudimentary. As things stand, the suit doesn't look great on you. However, as you are asking the question, you probably realise this. There are a few issues I have:

1. The trousers are far too long. The break in them should be non-existent to minimal. When they stack up on top of your shoe, it tends to look quite sloppy. You could pin them up yourself, if not, a tailor would be happy to advise.
  2. The fit of the blazer seems to be quite roomy. Whilst I despise the current trend in tailoring which favours figure-hugging suits, I think there is an ideal middle ground and unfortunately your suit is on the 'too big' side of that.
  3. I also think that the blazer is too large in the shoulders. It may just be the quality of the photograph, but it seems to me as if you have a bit of a shoulder gap and also a divot in the left-hand shoulder. Again, I could be wrong.
  4. Also, buy a new pair of shoes. The suit itself looks very nice. However the shoes are wide and inelegant and they detract from the suit. A slimmer pair of black oxfords would serve you nicely. If you're investing in good suits then you should also invest in good shoes. Otherwise you're just wasting money.
Issues 1 and 2 are easily solved by a tailor. Issue 3, not so much. Reducing the shoulder width of a blazer is quite major surgery. It will cost a lot of money and is a high-risk procedure which could result in you destroying the jacket. I've had this alteration performed on one of my blazers and it came out well. However, I was only willing to pay for the alteration because I've know my tailor for many years.

Personally, if you can, I would return the jacket and get it a size smaller.

Steppin'Out

Reaction score
I would generally agree with all the points made above! Also, not sure your posture sits great in the shoulders either, your arm seems to be quite far forward in the sleeve. As well as being slightly more 'square' than yours. Although its difficult to tell from those photos.

That is another expensive alteration, either way.

Depending on your time/money constraints - MTM is a good option. If not just make sure shoulders sit flush and sleeves drape nicely, all other alterations are considerably easier.

Also, @Lyman is right about the shoes!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s too big. You could spend lots of money getting it reworked, but it’s far easier to return it and get one that fits much better.

And oh yeah, those shoes. Yikes. Kill with fire.

Guitarmaster13

Reaction score
Thank you Lyman for your thorough answer and everyone else for their opinion. I returned the suit yesterday.

I'll make an effort to buy better shoes, I have naturally very wide feet so I have trouble finding shoes.

Again, I appreciate all of your input.

Lyman

Reaction score
Thank you Lyman for your thorough answer and everyone else for their opinion. I returned the suit yesterday.

I'll make an effort to buy better shoes, I have naturally very wide feet so I have trouble finding shoes.

Again, I appreciate all of your input.

I hope you manage to find a suit that fits nicely. Good luck with your search and do post the results! :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads